Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What Boat Type?

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 03:48 #1

• gandude
  • gandude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Not sure if it's serious yet, but I catch myself looking at larger boats. I think about my wife and our friends boating here in the SF Bay and delta in a spacious comfortable boat with it's own bathroom (toilet). But which one? I know what a bowrider is and I know what a cuddy cabin is - other than that, I am lost.

I see Cruiser, Flybridge, V-Berth, Hardtop and other terms used to describe the boat. Where do I learn these terms?

What type of boat would be good for weekend overnight trips for 2-4 people, occasionally 6 for a day-wine and dine-run, comfortable, fairly easy to operate, stable (for the sea-sick'ees), and fish from? - No small kids to worry about. I would like to trailer and I have storage but realize the boat would probably be too large for that.

A new Bayliner 288 Classic cought my eye because of the enclosed 'living' area. Is the 288 practical for the above needs?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2006 Bayliner 195 Classic, Mercruiser 3.0

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 04:28 #2

• wildman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Between boats
You may want to start here: Boat style opinions, p. 2

Rest assured, you are serious about getting a bigger boat, but you knew that ;-). I think you are not going to regret a 26 or 28 ft boat or larger. I wish I could comment on express types vs sedans, but I have only been on epress types.

P.S. You can tow a 26 footer, maybe a 28 footer, but not a 30 footer.

Dave
former boats: 87 Chaparral 278; 97 Maxuum 2100; 75 Catalina 27; 2000 Seaswirl 200

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 04:45 #3

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87
You can tow anything - it just gets more expensive.

10' beam is doable in practical terms with a 1T or HD3/4T but it technically needs wide load permits. (says the guy with 28'x10' boat sitting in the garage in the back yard)

I am a fan of the command bridge/sedan bridge layout. I don't like going down into a hole that you can't see the outside world from.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 04:48 #4

• BLCarl
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Here's my pitch for my choice.

Trailerable, Large cabin windows below (less seasick) small bathroom. Sleeps 4 good friends or family, Full kitchen, good speed . Transem shower, hot water, nice storage.

I don't feel that going below is "down in the cave". I even like riding down below it's very pleasent.

Its perfect for one or two. It's easy to wish for bigger but I can handle it myself.

I would wish for a it's big brother 2859 or a nice Saber or Albin when I hit the LOTO

Carl

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 06:36 #5

• waynepj3
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Go with the 3055 and you won't regret it. Not trailerable boat t desnt need to be in the bay. The water is all connected. You're looking to do the same kind of boating I like. Day trip wine dine and overnighters. Lts of fun. You can't beat the beam width of the 3055

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 06:50 #6

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I almost bought the 288 myself. My dock neighbor has one, great boat. Perfect in the Delta and SF Bay. Minor drawback for me was the head, a tight fit, I'm 6-2 260 lbs. Other than that, super comfortable boat.

Performance wise, they are no speed demons, but you have one for speed now, and you want comfort. (Kinda like women huh?) Should cruise in the mid 20s, top is low-mid 30s. Can be a bitch to handle docking in the wind, single engine and a lot of sail surface. The V-berth (the big one in the front) is roomy and quite comfortable for two. The mid-berth however is on the small side, really a large single. OK for company, you don't want them too comfy, or they won't go home.

Wildman, c'mon! I towed my 305 (31'6", 11' beam) 2400 miles from S. Carolina. Yes, you are supposed to have permits. In Cali, it's an annual permit, real easy. The 288 is 10' beam (wide) and 30'6" long, if I recall. I know my Ford F-250 diesel would handle it fine. You WILL BE tight-cheeked on narrow roads, especially some of those levee roads, and Highway 12 comes to mind also. But it's quite doable.

Last summer there was a nice used one over at Tower Park Marina, the dealer/broker there, might be worth a look...

Edit: Added pic. After about 2000 miles on the road. Enough about 30 footers not towable. Yeah you need permits, banners, and patience. And the right equipment helps too. Knowledge, skill and experience can't hurt either. But other than that, piece of cake!

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 15:06 #7

• Days away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Its called 2 footitus wanting to go Bigger Nothing wrong with that.
Towing,You can two anything your licensed to if you have the bucks for a semi and a CDL.
My big boat is just over 30' I towed it all the way from Maryland home to Utah.Permits :p Its cheaper to beg forgivness then to buy permission.
Speed and comfort easy fix I figured out last year=Two boats
1.Have one loud and obnoxious boat for skiing and raiasing hell
2.Have one for fishing and just cruiseing and loungeing with the familiy on.

Dont worry it's normal to feel the way you do.:arr

Sherman,J & Temple,T Sicard. & CITY LIMITS, a 1983 Searay SRV 270 Sundancer 10' beam.twin 470 with closed cooling and merc outdrives.
Instant Karma,a 1978 Hawaiian Daycruiser 25' with a BBC 454 with a 330 outdrive.
Days away,1988 Bayliner 2155 Ciera sunbridge with a 305 and a OMC.
Docked at...

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 15:56 #8

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

gandude;416724 wrote: Not sure if it's serious yet, but I catch myself looking at larger boats. I think about my wife and our friends boating here in the SF Bay and delta in a spacious comfortable boat with it's own bathroom (toilet). But which one? I know what a bowrider is and I know what a cuddy cabin is - other than that, I am lost.

I see Cruiser, Flybridge, V-Berth, Hardtop and other terms used to describe the boat. Where do I learn these terms?

What type of boat would be good for weekend overnight trips for 2-4 people, occasionally 6 for a day-wine and dine-run, comfortable, fairly easy to operate, stable (for the sea-sick'ees), and fish from? - No small kids to worry about. I would like to trailer and I have storage but realize the boat would probably be too large for that.

A new Bayliner 288 Classic cought my eye because of the enclosed 'living' area. Is the 288 practical for the above needs?

Very difficult to make a suggestion for choice that is so personal, IMO.

You obviously have a virus! The "two-foot-titus" virus! The cure is psycho theoropy, or the purchase of a larger boat. This cannot be disputed! :D

This will get you started on some Nautical Terminology.
http://www.marineinstitute.org/nautical%20terms.htm

A piece of advice that I think will withstand the scrutiny of the group here, would be to consider a larger, rather than smaller, hull.
Boats seem to get real small as the amount of people on board increases, and we all enjoy taking friends out.
Inoculate yourself NOW, as you certainly do not want an early repeat of the virus!

Sea trail.... sea trial.... sea trail! Can't emphasize that one enough.
Test the Sun Bridge style..... test the SDN F/B styles.
Storage...... where will your STUFF be stored?
How easy can you access your STUFF with people on board?
What's involved when getting ready for "lights out"?
Is the Galley in a high traffic area?
Is the Head easy to access?
Is the Head roomy enough?
Can you shower in the Head easily?
Galley up better?
Galley down OK?
Seating? Enough to accommodate all?
Power and speed..... enough?
Economy...... hmmmm.
Too many too think of right now...... others will add, I'm sure.

You are most likely in the market for a much newer boat than what I own.
The older 2850 SDN F/B that I own is very comfortable for two over-nighting..... maybe four over-nighting is doable if need be.
Day use........ quite a few more is doable.
If anyone is prone to sea sickness, the SDN F/B models usually offer a Galley and Salon up at a height where seeing out of the boat is much easier. (this is important to some)

Piloting from a Flybridge is beyond compare. Once an F/B owner, it would be difficult to go back. IMO.

Trialering a 28' is doable and I do so myself.
This one measures close to 32 feet. The beam is 10' 4".
Requires good sized tow rig...... Good trailer....... Good brakes.
When you become acquainted and comfortable....., launching/retrieving is no different than if it were a small boat. IMO.
I can launch/retrieve my 2850 alone.... no problems.

Good luck with your quest!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 16:11 #9

• Marine One
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
We started with a 2355, and only had it for 4 months when we started looking for something larger. We ended up with a 2855. For us, it's got the right combination of room and ammenities (galley with microwave & refrigerator, hot & cold running water, head w/ shower) without being too big. With the nearly 10' beam, the mid-berth is very close in size to a queen sized bed. In the 2355, the mid berth was just too claustrophic, so we didn't use it for sleeping. That meant that we were forever converting the V-berth between sleeping and eating configurations which quickly became a pain for more than anything than an overnight trip. We also learned quickly that if we were going to really use our boat here in Eastern NC during the summer months, that A/C was a must. We set our sights on finding a used 2855 with A/C and closed cooling, as our boating is done in the brackish water of the Intracoastal Waterway. It took about a month of looking to find what we were after. What we didn't realize until we took possession of the 2855 is how much difference the extra foot of beam makes in usable space from our previous boat, in both the cabin and the cockpit.

One additional thought: Few if any have ever said, "man I wish I'd bought a smaller boat."

Perseverance
1999 Ciera 2855
Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III
"Freedom Is Not Free"
an Nasiriyah, Iraq 3-23-2003

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 17:15 #10

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
We have a 2355, works just fine for us. T he Aft cabin is a bit claustrophobic for TWO people, but to be honest its not bad at all for 1 person, I sleep there every night we are out. It is very easy to tow, no height issues from a radar arch to worry about. Engine with a 5.7 is lots of power, don't have to worry about burning tons of gas with a heavier boat + big block to move it. I dunno I like our 2355, I like the looks and lines. I was deciding on a 2655 or 2355 but I don't like the look of a bow pulpit so it works well for me.

The only downside to my boat that bothers me is no shower in the head, otherwise everything is just right for us. I have been trying to find ways around this but everything seems to result in a massive operation and lots of floor cutting.....

We regularly take her out for 2-4 day weekends usually every other weekend all summer. We only went out for 2 day trips last year, otherwise we stay on it all the time for overnights. Good boat, cheaper, good on gas, it works for me for now. Our next boat will be twin engine and slip only :)

But that's many years down the road when we can afford to keep it in a slip + fuel and maint on 2 engines.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 17:42 #11

• Marine One
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

biohazard;416927 wrote: We have a 2355, works just fine for us. T he Aft cabin is a bit claustrophobic for TWO people, but to be honest its not bad at all for 1 person, I sleep there every night we are out. It is very easy to tow, no height issues from a radar arch to worry about. Engine with a 5.7 is lots of power, don't have to worry about burning tons of gas with a heavier boat + big block to move it. I dunno I like our 2355, I like the looks and lines. I was deciding on a 2655 or 2355 but I don't like the look of a bow pulpit so it works well for me.

The only downside to my boat that bothers me is no shower in the head, otherwise everything is just right for us. I have been trying to find ways around this but everything seems to result in a massive operation and lots of floor cutting.....

We regularly take her out for 2-4 day weekends usually every other weekend all summer. We only went out for 2 day trips last year, otherwise we stay on it all the time for overnights. Good boat, cheaper, good on gas, it works for me for now. Our next boat will be twin engine and slip only :)

But that's many years down the road when we can afford to keep it in a slip + fuel and maint on 2 engines.

Ryan,
Don't get me wrong. We loved our 2355. We just wanted something a little bigger. The way I look at it is that the 2855 is just more of a good boat! You make an execllent point on fuel comsumption. We burned 785 gal last year.

Perseverance
1999 Ciera 2855
"Freedom Is Not Free"

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 17:57 #12

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
yep...it's a rabid disease that your have there matey.....we went from the 2355 to the 2700scr maxum...to the 340....next stop is the queen mary!!:eek:
there are just too many boat types to recommend....
bout the only thing you can do is shop around...don't be in a hurry(ie:let the disease take over) and rush into a boat just cuz you like it...and when you do find a boat that you like and fits your needs.....get it surveyed!!!..then SEATRAIL it.....if you don't like it..you can always walk away since there are tons of boats out there for sale right now...

but!!!..remember this.....bigger boat means more of everything...more gas...more room...more to docking...more more more.....it's always a learning curve with a bigger boat...

:arr arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 18:53 #13

• wildman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Between boats

jeffw;416780 wrote: Wildman, c'mon! I towed my 305 (31'6", 11' beam) 2400 miles from S. Carolina. Yes, you are supposed to have permits. In Cali, it's an annual permit, real easy. The 288 is 10' beam (wide) and 30'6" long, if I recall. I know my Ford F-250 diesel would handle it fine. You WILL BE tight-cheeked on narrow roads, especially some of those levee roads, and Highway 12 comes to mind also. But it's quite doable.

Well, I don't want to be accused of thinking small. I was just thinking as a practical matter if you had to tow it every time you wanted to use it. Launch and retrieve for a 28 footer on a regular basis just puts a question mark in my mind.

Dave
former boats: 87 Chaparral 278; 97 Maxuum 2100; 75 Catalina 27; 2000 Seaswirl 200

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 18:59 #14

• wildman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Between boats

2850Bounty;416881 wrote: ...
This will get you started on some Nautical Terminology.
http://www.marineinstitute.org/nautical%20terms.htm

There are some nautical terms missing. Let me help:
  • Length-to-dollar Ratio: An exponential curve concerning costs associated with a larger boat
  • Hard Tow: Towing a 28 foot boat by yourself on a day exceeding 98 degrees F

Dave

What Boat Type? 09 Feb 2010 19:07 #15

• BrianM

seapuppy;416953 wrote: yep...it's a rabid disease that your have there matey.....we went from the 2355 to the 2700scr maxum...to the 340....next stop is the queen mary!!:eek:

:arr arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Here is a photo of Seapuppy's next boat (his is in background, mine is in foreground)!

Attached files

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian
Southern California
2008 Maxum 1900 SR3, 4.3V-6, Alpha 1

What Boat Type? 10 Feb 2010 03:00 #16

• gandude
  • gandude's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks Wildman for the "boat style opinions" link. GREAT THREAD for sorting the terms out!

2850Bounty, thanks for your nautical terminology link - Note: a boat is cheaper than phycho therapy these days!

I plan to go look at boats this weekend (weather permitting) to put the face with the name - so to speak.

Thanks for the info all!

2006 Bayliner 195 Classic, Mercruiser 3.0

What Boat Type? 10 Feb 2010 12:10 #17

• msd58
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 15

gandude;416724 wrote: Not sure if it's serious yet, but I catch myself looking at larger boats. I think about my wife and our friends boating here in the SF Bay and delta in a spacious comfortable boat with it's own bathroom (toilet). But which one? I know what a bowrider is and I know what a cuddy cabin is - other than that, I am lost.

A new Bayliner 288 Classic caught my eye because of the enclosed 'living' area. Is the 288 practical for the above needs?

Thanks in advance for your input!

The 288 and 289 Bayliner are very popular on the West Coast. The 288 overs the flybridge where is the 289 is a hartop. Both boats have large interiors that are almost identical. The 289 has a larger aft cabin sleeper. Both are great because of all the enclosed areas. Another boat to consider is a 285/2855 That's an express cruiser with great sleeping accommodations and exterior seating. The 288 because if the flybridge will rock more than the 289 and 285/2855.

Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/video.php?feed=0601b947006500d40050fa36c4235c0a

What Boat Type? 10 Feb 2010 23:36 #18

• trode
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
We bought this boat about 3 year ago, found a beautiful 4 year old one. We initially saw this boat in the water in Charleston SC and fell in love with the "room for the size". 24 foot boat, extremely trailerable (with right trailer) and versatile beyond belief. We use it weekending, trailering and extended trips. Economical to operate, can find them all over at great prices. Would look for the shore power option, when in marina nice to cook, light and have that cup of joe in the morning. Ample room for two, and in a pinch four could sleep aboard by converting the dinette to bed. As mentioned above, BIG thing for me was the the head room in cabin and windows, bright and sunny cabin, but have curtains and window shades for privacy. We have spent up to 8 days on this boat reasonably comfortably. Keep thinking bigger, but I can still dry store this in summer, so not bottom paint, trailer to distant locations, and handle with ease. The other thing I like about it is the flat front deck with railing, can move about without doing a balancing act, and is room up there to lay and sun if interested. ONLY shortcoming I can see for your plans is cockpit will be a little snug with 6 "wine and diners" . I usually fold down the pilot seat and make a little more room. Transom is adequate to serve as seat, above engine compartment, when extras are aboard. I love this boat and and finding it hard to move up for many of the above mentioned concerns. JUST MY TWO CENTS.

Smooth seas.........

Tom, 2004 242 Classic, 5.7 (carbed), Bravo II

What Boat Type? 11 Feb 2010 00:26 #19

• Seaquel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My advise... Since you seem to be basically a novice, keep your boat awhile and don't rush into anything. All boats and sizes are nice, it just depends on what you want and where the happy medium is. You'll figure that out for yourself in time. That being said, I'd say that you can't go wrong with a Bayliner in the 26-28 foot range. The 285 or 288 is about as large a cruiser as you can get while still maintaining the economy of single screw. That's why we bought the boat we have, and that's why after 8+ years it's still a good boat for us. If you really want to get into a large cruiser, don't go with a 30 foot boat. Go even bigger. Once you are into twin screw, you are past the point of no return and might as well go with something that will easily accomodate 4 people with seperate private sleeping quarters. That's my my 2 cents.

Ralph
Ciera 2855

What Boat Type? 11 Feb 2010 02:55 #20

• Marine One
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

trode;417556 wrote: We bought this boat about 3 year ago, found a beautiful 4 year old one. We initially saw this boat in the water in Charleston SC and fell in love with the "room for the size". 24 foot boat, extremely trailerable (with right trailer) and versatile beyond belief. We use it weekending, trailering and extended trips. Economical to operate, can find them all over at great prices. Would look for the shore power option, when in marina nice to cook, light and have that cup of joe in the morning. Ample room for two, and in a pinch four could sleep aboard by converting the dinette to bed. As mentioned above, BIG thing for me was the the head room in cabin and windows, bright and sunny cabin, but have curtains and window shades for privacy. We have spent up to 8 days on this boat reasonably comfortably. Keep thinking bigger, but I can still dry store this in summer, so not bottom paint, trailer to distant locations, and handle with ease. The other thing I like about it is the flat front deck with railing, can move about without doing a balancing act, and is room up there to lay and sun if interested. ONLY shortcoming I can see for your plans is cockpit will be a little snug with 6 "wine and diners" . I usually fold down the pilot seat and make a little more room. Transom is adequate to serve as seat, above engine compartment, when extras are aboard. I love this boat and and finding it hard to move up for many of the above mentioned concerns. JUST MY TWO CENTS.

Smooth seas.........

Not to hijack this thread...
See that you're boating in some of the same water as we do. Let me know if you'd like to chat offline about boating in our area.

Perseverance
1999 Ciera 2855
"Freedom Is Not Free"
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds