Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How did they get it in the cabin?

How did they get it in the cabin? 09 Feb 2010 02:11 #1

• Jeff
  • Jeff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
So kind of an idle thought thread here...

I was working on my Norcold fridge last weekend as it was only working intermittantly. I was going to remove it and bring it to my "inside" bench where I could test and troubleshoot. Ummm, it is WAY to big to fit through the companionway to get it out of the cabin. Not even close, maybe 10" too big. So, has anyone fought this? How did you win? Maybe my boat just shrunk!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remedy
1979 2550 Saratoga Command Bridge
260 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen. 1

How did they get it in the cabin? 09 Feb 2010 02:26 #2

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
You'll probably have to repair it down below. There is at least one Company out there that offers complete eplacement compressor units. The existing ones, once they expire, are not economically repairable. Google "Norcold repairs" and see what comes up. I know that I could get a replacement for mine for around $500. I believe that the fridges are around $1,000.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

How did they get it in the cabin? 09 Feb 2010 04:18 #3

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215
They install them in the hull before putting the deck on.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

How did they get it in the cabin? 09 Feb 2010 04:39 #4

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

SwampNut;416740 wrote: They install them in the hull before putting the deck on.

Is there a hatch large enough? You'd be surprised what they don't install prior to dropping the deck. I never thought about the fridge - if I have to replace mine I may be screwed :o

Several pieces of the interior of my boat were built with HINGES so you could fold them up to fit through the door.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

How did they get it in the cabin? 09 Feb 2010 07:11 #5

• dmcb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 601
Jeff your problem is likely electrical. If you open up that frig you will find an electrical nightmare there. It doesn't run on 110 volt or 12 volt. It is something like 24 or 28 volts. Doesn't matter, the 110 is reduced to that voltage and the 12 volt is stepped up to it.
I suggest you turn off the 110 volts. It will switch to 12 volts. See if it works that way. If so, just leave the 110 volt switch off and let your battery charger take care of it.
I really suggest everyone do that. A power surge can cause a very expensive repair and you eliminate that just using 12 volts. Again your battery charger will replace the power used. No different than all the 12 volt lights you use at dock.
I have never use the 110 volt after repairing one that was damaged on the 110 volt side.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

How did they get it in the cabin? 09 Feb 2010 13:22 #6

• Jeff
  • Jeff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh sorry about that, I did fix it. Found the relay that switches 110VAC and 12VDC had internally come apart. Since it is of 1979 vintage, I was able to open it up, add a dab of JB Weld, and it works like a champ now. All that Air Force training paying off! Of course the stuff I worked on had tubes and big old relays so I had a little edge. If it was newer, you wouldn't have been able to get in it and would have voided warranties if you even thought about doing a repair yourself; that is why I like the older equipment.

No, my question was what do you do if the thing really goes bad and you have to replace it. I guess I could always make it into a really cool bait box! :D Don't know if the wife would dig it though!

Remedy
1979 2550 Saratoga Command Bridge
260 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen. 1

How did they get it in the cabin? 09 Feb 2010 17:05 #7

• dmcb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 601

Jeff;416818 wrote: Oh sorry about that, I did fix it. Found the relay that switches 110VAC and 12VDC had internally come apart. Since it is of 1979 vintage, I was able to open it up, add a dab of JB Weld, and it works like a champ now. All that Air Force training paying off! Of course the stuff I worked on had tubes and big old relays so I had a little edge. If it was newer, you wouldn't have been able to get in it and would have voided warranties if you even thought about doing a repair yourself; that is why I like the older equipment.

No, my question was what do you do if the thing really goes bad and you have to replace it. I guess I could always make it into a really cool bait box! :D Don't know if the wife would dig it though!

I used the big frig on our 46' Chris for some night crawlers once. Note the once. They got out and was all over the frig. We were on vacation and the frig was full.
You did note the once didn't you?
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds