Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using my 4.0 liter Jeep

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 07 Feb 2010 17:44 #26

• jamsac
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Tongue weight should be 10% of total trailer load. Trailer, boat with fuel and stuff = 7500# then you should have 750-800# on your hitch ball. Class 1 hitch is good to 1000# on the ball.
Too little weight and you will have lifting of the rear wheels, fish-tailing of the trailer, likelyhood of having the trailer push the rear of the tow vehicle sideways around corners.
Add bags or buckets of sand to your truck box, you then have ballast that can also be spread in front of the tires for traction.
Or, trade the 2x4 for a 4x4. Always good to have on a truck of any description. I have always had 4x4 trucks, 6 over the last 30 years. Would rather have it and never need it than need it that one time and not have it.:ouch

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Bay that got me onto this forum
http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/album.php?albumid=193
Newest, and hopefully last boat for awhile, 'VictoriaRobyn'
http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/album.php?albumid=195
R.I.P.
'78 Bayliner 2050
Volvo AQ125/280

'89 Cobalt 21CC (Victoria Robyn)
Merc 5.7
MMSI...

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 07 Feb 2010 17:56 #27

• 88fourwinns
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 212
I've used my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 Six + Selectrac 4 wheel drive to pull our '88 FW for years but that boat probably only weighs 4000 lbs at most...even then...it's close to maxed out...I have Bilstein high pressure gas shocks....Air Lift airbags in the rear coil springs and heavy duty brake rotors...plus surge brakes on the trailer...a 25 footer is way too heavy...even the V-8 models of the old style Grand was rated to only 6500 lbs...
Now my 07 Grand with the Hemi is rated to 7200 and it pulls this 20' boat like it's not there...and has much better brakes than the 98...but would I pull a 25 footer with it...maybe not....
Does the Ford have a good limited slip and good all terrain tires on it...if not I'd try that first....I'll tell you with the 98 Jeep in 4x4 LOW it pulls out the FW very easily...no wheelspin...

This discussion shows the value of 4x4 on trucks even in states that do not have winter weather...our boat ramps at low tide are reall slimy and would be a challenge even with limited slip on a 2 wheel drive...

The other thing I have heard of people doing is using the water bladders (like wake board boats use) in the bed of a 2 WD pick up to add weight...which is then easily drained...

The old style Jeeps can be OK tow vehicles like I said up to about 4000 lbs or so...and the newer series (05-10) with its better Hemi engine...stronger frame and much better brakes are much better tow vehicles...but still they are probably maxed out in the 23 footer range...all depending on actual weight...

88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 07 Feb 2010 18:05 #28

• DarylP
  • DarylP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

88fourwinns;416033 wrote: Does the Ford have a good limited slip and good all terrain tires on it...if not I'd try that first....I'll tell you with the 98 Jeep in 4x4 LOW it pulls out the FW very easily...no wheelspin...

/QUOTE]

The f350 has a open Diff. And new set of traction tires. I should plan on upgrading to a 4X4 if i'm going to be pulling this size of boat around.

79 Bayliner 2550 Saratoga Offshore
350 260H Merc pre/alpha 260 Drive
Wolf Spirit
Kennewick,Wa
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
Ones life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the memories that take your breath away.
MMSI 338095893

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 07 Feb 2010 18:28 #29

• truckpartskm
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
When I was young and dumb I had a single wheel crew cab chevy with larger tires and wheels, hi-way tread. I used the truck to tow my race car mainly. I launch at an unihabited ramp so there was usually no-one around, when I had a problem with slip I would just light them up and it would heat the tires until it would pull it out. Would I do it now, No-way, was it fun back then of course.

Kelly Mahoney, Ocean Park, and Vancouver WA http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album839

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 07 Feb 2010 19:15 #30

• 88fourwinns
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 212
/QUOTE]

The f350 has a open Diff. And new set of traction tires. I should plan on upgrading to a 4X4 if i'm going to be pulling this size of boat around.[/QUOTE]

IF you have an open diff in effect what you have is only one wheel drive...you could do one of two things...one put in a locker which will not require resetting the ring and pinion...but the operation of them can bother some people....or an aftermarket limited slip which operates smoother is less noticable but costs more because the carrier has to be replaced and this requires someone who can set up the diff right...if you have no other need for 4x4 this might be enough to solve your problem...no way a 2 wheel drive with an open diff is doing much of anything on a slippery boat ramp....

88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 07 Feb 2010 20:00 #31

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
My 2052 Trophy, empty, weighed in at 5,264 lbs. on the trailer. I'd have to think that your 2550 would outweigh me. Don't do it!!

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 07 Feb 2010 20:06 #32

• Seaquel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Let me share something with you. I used to have a Thompson "Cutlass" supposedly a 19' boat although it measured less. AT the time I had a Jeep Pioneer with a straight 6, that I used to tow is with occasionally. Now granted the Jeep did not have the tow package just a hitch that I had put on. BUT even with that scenrio it was like the tail wagging the dog. I towed the boat all the way from NJ to Provinetown MA once. An experience I never care to repeat. With a 25' boat, you would definitely be foolish to try it.

Ralph
Ciera 2855

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 07 Feb 2010 20:11 #33

• Seaquel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Ralph
Ciera 2855

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 08 Feb 2010 02:52 #34

• DarylP
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

88fourwinns;416065 wrote: /QUOTE]

The f350 has a open Diff. And new set of traction tires. I should plan on upgrading to a 4X4 if i'm going to be pulling this size of boat around.

IF you have an open diff in effect what you have is only one wheel drive...you could do one of two things...one put in a locker which will not require resetting the ring and pinion...but the operation of them can bother some people....or an aftermarket limited slip which operates smoother is less noticable but costs more because the carrier has to be replaced and this requires someone who can set up the diff right...if you have no other need for 4x4 this might be enough to solve your problem...no way a 2 wheel drive with an open diff is doing much of anything on a slippery boat ramp....[/QUOTE]

An air locker would be nice.:)

Wolf Spirit
Kennewick,Wa
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ones life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the memories that take your breath away.
MMSI 338095893

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 08 Feb 2010 04:48 #35

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Rick, those photo's that you posted show the merits of tie down straps from the transom to the trailer. I never leave home without them!
I once watched a newbie (I assume) try and launch a 24' command bridge off of a full sized suv. He had tie down straps, but didn't undo them prior to launch. After several "back up and hit the brake tries", he went forward way too far and backed down hard enough that when he hit the brakes, he darned near tipped the bow backwards over the stern. The bow must have lifted 5' off of the front of the trailer. He now realized something was ammiss and after pulling back out again, discovered his still secure hold down straps. They do work. If anyone thinks that I was cruel not to offer advise, I watched this from the deck of a ferry about to pull out of Horseshoe Bay, way too far away to help. Good entertainment though!
Looking at your first photo reminded me off a time when I wondered if the bed off my truck could carry a 20' er? Looks like it could.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 08 Feb 2010 09:59 #36

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Great pictures Rick! Now I remember the other reason why the transom straps are so important. I haven’t been using them while towing my bigger boats because I was thinking those are too stern heavy to bounce around like my 17ft bass boat does, But the pictures reminded me about the sudden stop, boat going over the top of you situation. Thanks!:)

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 08 Feb 2010 10:14 #37

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53

DarylP;415950 wrote: I tried the bath room scale thing. Well it did not work to good after I put the jack on the scale.. Wife not to happy about me breaking the scale.. So tongue weight is somewhere over 300 pounds...LOL

Can't stop laughing. I thought you might look it up before you did it.:D

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 08 Feb 2010 14:34 #38

• DarylP
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Fish-a-Palooza;416301 wrote: Can't stop laughing. I thought you might look it up before you did it.:D

I laughed at myself after I did it to.. Thought dam that one was dumb. Left a nice dent in the middle of the scale..:arr
But than again I could lift the tongue by hand so I figured it did not weigh much over 300. Guess I was wrong.

Wolf Spirit
Kennewick,Wa
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MMSI 338095893

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 08 Feb 2010 15:34 #39

• norman52
Two used bathroom scales form Craigslist or Valuevillage, Set them side by side with about a foot between them. Place a nice 4 X 4 across the scales and then place your jack on the 4 x 4. That will get you to 600 pounds. Just take the scale reading and mulitply by 2.

1997 Bayliner 2355
5.7 and Alpha 1
Dagmar's Marina
180 hours and slowly going up.:arr

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 08 Feb 2010 18:25 #40

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

DarylP;415873 wrote: lol

Ditto the "bad idea". The F-350 is going to make a MUCH better tow vehicle than any SUV. The Cherokee makes a bad tow rig to begin with, coupled with the fact that you'd be overweight = bad news.

MOST ramps you don't need 4wd to get MOST boats out... have you tried something simple like getting some tube sand bags and putting them in the bed? :)

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 09 Feb 2010 00:30 #41

• DarylP
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

ishiboo;416440 wrote: Ditto the "bad idea". The F-350 is going to make a MUCH better tow vehicle than any SUV. The Cherokee makes a bad tow rig to begin with, coupled with the fact that you'd be overweight = bad news.

MOST ramps you don't need 4wd to get MOST boats out... have you tried something simple like getting some tube sand bags and putting them in the bed? :)

No not yet but will try adding some weight.

Wolf Spirit
Kennewick,Wa
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MMSI 338095893

Using my 4.0 liter Jeep 09 Feb 2010 04:30 #42

• Bojack
I tow my 2450 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L. Of course the 85' 2450 only weighs 3,675 dry. Add the trailer and fluids and I'am at least up to the 5,000lb capacity of the Jeep. I feel that it pulls and handles it fine, but my storage unit is only 2 miles from the ramp I use. 4-low and it will start going up the ramp before you even hit the gas.
It works well enough for me for the way I use it. I pulled it up to the lake (70 miles) when I first bought the boat and it did just fine, but I didn't go over 55mph.
I pulled my friends 20ft Sea Ray up to the lake one weekend and with a dry weight of 2,900lbs and it swung me all over the place. Not a fun trip at all. I'd rather pull my boat any day.
That being said I still don't think I would use my Jeep to pull a 2550 as its heavier and far exceeds the 5,000lb tow rating of the vehicle. Maybe to put it in the water in the spring and pull it in the fall, and then a couple miles to storage at LOW speeds but that would be about it.

Joe
Bojack
1985 2450
2006 Repower/280 Volvo Drive
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds