Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How does an anchor alarm know?

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 16:52 #1

• slia67
  • slia67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
In Doug's (dmcb) "anchoring stories" thread someone had mentioned an anchor alarm. I didn't want to hijack the thread.

Not having any experience anchoring overnight I've always wondered how an anchor alarm knows the difference between swinging with the wind with your anchor still set and actually being adrift.

Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 16:56 #2

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215
Fairies. It sends fairies down below and they watch your anchor.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 17:04 #3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
When the fairies are stealing pixie dust and the elfs are baking cookies, they turn on the GPS that sets a radius around the position.

The radius is selected by the user based on conditions.

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 17:05 #4

• Rockhead
My gps/chartplotter (Garmin 440s) sets a wayppoint when setting the alarm then asks to set a distance when you would like the alarm to go off. Go outside that box and the alarm will sound.

2002 Ciera 2455
Antioch, IL
"In A Moment"
If she rides rough lube her up

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 17:10 #5

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

slia67;415075 wrote: In Doug's (dmcb) "anchoring stories" thread someone had mentioned an anchor alarm. I didn't want to hijack the thread.

Not having any experience anchoring overnight I've always wondered how an anchor alarm knows the difference between swinging with the wind with your anchor still set and actually being adrift.

Doug

As you already suspect, a GPS-based anchor watch can't tell the difference between swing and drag. It watches boat position, not anchor. You tell it how much boat movement you'll tolerate before it alarms.

A friend and I developed and built a succesful prototype that watches the anchor's actual position, rather than the boat's position. You can twist and swing and turn all over the place, but unless the anchor moves - no alarm.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 17:16 #6

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

whiskywizard;415086 wrote: ....................... A friend and I developed and built a succesful prototype that watches the anchor's actual position, rather than the boat's position. You can twist and swing and turn all over the place, but unless the anchor moves - no alarm.

So Mike, the anchor has it's own under-water receiver? :kidding

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 18:03 #7

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a lowrance chart plotter, it uses GPS for the anchor alarm. If the boat moves more then however many feet i specify (whatever my swing is with however much rode I have out). I usually set it for 15-25 feet for where I ancher and it goes absolutly insane if it drifts out of the swing zone I have allowed. I absolutely love it and its prolly the best investment i put in my boat. I cant sleep without that running cuz I always think im drifting. It has NEVER failed me :)

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 18:37 #8

• slia67
  • slia67's Avatar Topic Author
Ok, now I know. I knew it was GPS based, but didn't realize you could program an allowable "swing zone". Good info. Thanks.

Mike, I'm curious as to know how your prototype works also. (as long as you're not worried about someone stealing the idea and marketing it)

Doug

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 19:00 #9

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

biohazard;415118 wrote: I usually set it for 15-25 feet for where I ancher and it goes absolutly insane if it drifts out of the swing zone I have allowed.

That is an extremely tight swing zone. Do you tend to anchor in very shallow water, or perhaps in a good current? I often deploy 150' or more rode, so a swing of 200' is very common.

slia67;415137 wrote: Mike, I'm curious as to know how your prototype works also. (as long as you're not worried about someone stealing the idea and marketing it)Doug

Sorry, not permitted to reveal yet. Maybe I'll run a wee poll here to guage interest...

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 19:06 #10

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
lol with 150-200' of rode id be in the channel or smashing into other boats mike :)
Around here where I anchor there are usually 10-30 other boats in fairly tight quarters, sometimes I need to drop a rear anchor so she cant swing.

I put out double the rode for the depth, so if IM in 10' i put out 20-40' of rode. Usually I anchor in a nice quiet area in prescott thats around 8' of water sometimes less. I have around 100' of total rode atm, which will be increasing with more chain next year though :)

For the most part we anchor in 10' or less of water.

You know what now that I think of it i think I am retarded lol. The setting are by miles, i set for .01 or .02 miles whatever the feet on that is, sorry I had a brain fart!!

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 19:09 #11

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
I have a combo gps/plotter/depth sounder. I set the gps triggered alarm for a distance beyond my swing. I also set the depth alarm.
You really need to set it over the anchor so you are in the middle of your loop.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 19:12 #12

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

dmcb;415161 wrote: I have a combo gps/plotter/depth sounder. I set the gps triggered alarm for a distance beyond my swing. I also set the depth alarm.
You really need to set it over the anchor so you are in the middle of your loop.
Doug

yep, when the admiral drops the anchor I set the alarm. I can also move the center of my swing on my chart plotter.

I didnt think about setting the depth alarm, but I am usually in under 10' anyway.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
- Carl Sagan

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 19:13 #13

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

biohazard;415160 wrote: lol with 150-200' of rode id be in the channel or smashing into other boats mike :)
Around here where I anchor there are usually 10-30 other boats in fairly tight quarters, sometimes I need to drop a rear anchor so she cant swing.

I put out double the rode for the depth, so if IM in 10' i put out 20-40' of rode. Usually I anchor in a nice quiet area in prescott thats around 8' of water sometimes less. I have around 100' of total rode atm, which will be increasing with more chain next year though :)

For the most part we anchor in 10' or less of water.

You know what now that I think of it i think I am retarded lol. The setting are by miles, i set for .01 or .02 miles whatever the feet on that is, sorry I had a brain fart!!

Rounded off, that's 50 - 100'. And that makes sense based on what you said about depth and limited scope.

BTW, if you KNOW you're retarded, you're can't be too bad! ;)

EDIT - I wrote "can", meant "can't"

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 19:16 #14

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

whiskywizard;415163 wrote: Rounded off, that's 50 - 100'. And that makes sense based on what you said about depth and limited scope.

BTW, if you KNOW you're retarded, you're can be too bad! ;)

ok mike, now i feel even dumber, im just guna shut up and hide in my corner! FFS! i didnt even think of the entire swing lol i fail:ouch:ouch:ouch

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
- Carl Sagan

How does an anchor alarm know? 05 Feb 2010 19:26 #15

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
Ryan,
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. We have all done it more than once. I have stuck my foot in my mouth so much that I have athletes mouth. :hammer

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds