TOPIC: Xantrex Link Lite

Xantrex Link Lite 05 Feb 2010 14:03 #26

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

FairEnough;414935 wrote: Doug and Rick
I appreciate your input

My main electrical panel is at the lower helm but I see your point about having the link monitor more in my face while at rest. Now that you mention it there is a more prominent spot. Maybe I’ll have to drill another hole after all. ................

Just a further FYI, if you were to not locate at the helm, you could go with the LINK 1000 or 2000!
The hole now becomes very small (wires only), and the low profile unit "surface mounts" (the profile is about 7/8" only).
With the right Inverter/Charger, this unit also provides control functions.

Yeah, I know...... It's another $100! :rolleyes:
But they actually look more like a monitoring device than the round units do. IMOO here!

It's totally a personal choice!
Mine is mounted up high near eye level on the Stbd side valance panel above the Stbd cabin windows. Very easy to see and access!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Xantrex Link Lite 05 Feb 2010 16:25 #27

• jim.smithjr
  • jim.smithjr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6

dmcb;414965 wrote: We certainly look forward to seeing you again. My internet is very limited in the summer but Ken is able to be on more often. Let Ken know when you will be there. That sounds about the time we have the BOC get together. That would be the only conflect as we are 25 miles away then. We will work it out.
Doug

I will tighten up my arrival time soon as well, Doug, and there is always some pliability for changes. No way I'm missing you guys over a few days.

Marc, we will see you for sure. Thanks for asking...

Jim & Pam Smith
2016 Polar Craft 1670, Evinrude 15 HP outboard, Auto boat loader on Ford Explorer
Past Commodore, Lake Diefenbaker Yacht Club
Commander (1991 Charter & Current), Saskatchewan Power & Sail Squadron

Xantrex Link Lite 06 Feb 2010 06:14 #28

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Sorry to steal the thread but I have a question regarding the Xantrex LinkLITE.

In looking at the install instructions they show a cable spec of

" 3 x 2 x .5mm "

So the 3 x 2 is pretty easy 3 twisted pairs.

But from what I can find the .5mm wire is equal to 24AWG wire. Is that right? I know the cabling is not carrying any real current but 24AWG seems so light.

Also www prices on the cable assembly which probably includes a few connectors and a couple of fuse holders is pricing over $90. Based on my assumptions I likely can find what I need in my shop supplies. I see no obvious reason to buy the cable assembly. But am I missing something ?

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410

Xantrex Link Lite 06 Feb 2010 09:14 #29

• dmcb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 595
I don't think so Jim. I think Ken said he made his out of something larger and on at least one of mine I had some twisted cable I used. Color was different but I just made a diagram.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Xantrex Link Lite 06 Feb 2010 15:46 #30

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
You can use any light-gauge cable but must be twisted pairs for the shunt sensors. The Xantrex cable is expensive and there's no need to buy it. 24awg sounds right. It's very light.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Xantrex Link Lite 06 Feb 2010 17:22 #31

• FairEnough
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 67
JimMc, I'm glad you brought the wire issue up .
24 guage sounds like what's use for phone.
Is that right?
If so, I have some left over cat5 cable. 4 twisted pairs (Of course it is solid copper wire not stranded. )
Could that be used without problems or does the rule of no solid wire on a boat apply even with teeeny tiny guage?

thanks

Xantrex Link Lite 06 Feb 2010 17:37 #32

• Iproff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 127
Yes I will make it to Little Current to meet Jim and Marc this summer. Doug we can anchor in Spider Bay for a few days.

Yes I made my own cable for the Link 100 it was easy. The manual for the link even tells you the wire gauge and how to make it. The two wires that are twisted must have a twist one per inch. I used a drill to twist the wire, I also bought 25' of plastic loom from Princess Auto, I also bought the wire there. I know it is not marine grade but the boat is in fresh water and none of the wire is exposed to water, if the wire is getting wet then I am sinking and don't care at that point about the wire.

Now Marc just where do you get Lemon Hart rum in Little Current :). I asked my daughter to bring me 4 26ers from Winnipeg she asked whats a 26er but I guess that would be another thread. She brought me the bigger plastic bottles.

Ken

Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.

Xantrex Link Lite 06 Feb 2010 17:45 #33

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
24 Gauge is very light gauge. Cat5 is usually #24 and solid as stated. I would be wary of using solid cable.

That said when I relocated the Air Conditioning controller on the boat it had RJ45 connections, essentially a network cable, I made a longer cable using Cat5 and it has worked so far with out fail.

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410

Xantrex Link Lite 06 Feb 2010 18:21 #34

• Spitfire
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0

Iproff;415617 wrote:
Now Marc just where do you get Lemon Hart rum in Little Current :). I asked my daughter to bring me 4 26ers from Winnipeg she asked whats a 26er but I guess that would be another thread. She brought me the bigger plastic bottles.

Ken

We are going to be on a cruise ship for 20 days in the Caribbean in March/April, and at some of the ports, the selection of rum is very, very good. I was going to pick you up some 26ers:). I still can if you want me too. We are driving to and from Lauderdale where we get on the ship, so packing in luggage is not an issue.

Marc
1992 3288 "Spitfire" with twin 5.8L inboards
1988 17ft Century "L'll Spitfire" with single 2.5LMercruiser
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds