Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: davits

davits 03 Feb 2010 03:14 #1

• ennismore2855
  • ennismore2855's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 2002, 2855 an have a dingy to put on the back, I was wondering if some one has pics of how they mounted theres. Any help would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

davits 03 Feb 2010 04:02 #2

• 2006-289
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I had this on my 2855 they're pricey though.

http://www.davitsystem.com/demo.htm

Zodiac Hurricane 733 CZ7
2002 Trophy W/A Mercury 150 four stroke

davits 03 Feb 2010 04:08 #3

• Gilligan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 17
I'd like to get the Weaver Snap Davits. Not cheap but they are the best answer, I think.

Mike C.
1985 Bayliner Contessa Command Bridge :coo-
Brand New (2013) Custom Volvo Penta 7.4GL with Full closed cooling
Duo Prop and SS props:go-
Through hull exhaust with fiberglass mufflers and through hull raw water intake
35 Gal. FW Tank, 10 Gal. Holding Tank
9'6" Baltik Dinghy with Evinrude...

davits 03 Feb 2010 05:19 #4

• simo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • ReMember
  • Thank you received: 41
Sorry, boat's under wraps, so no pictures, but here's a good place to start your research:

http://www.weaverindustries.com/index.cfm/category/6/davits-for-inflatable-dinghies.html

or:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|294|288264|551334&id=97274

Spend the money...it will pay off in ease of use and result in alot more use of your dinghy. I'm pretty sure the davits system was more money than my dinghy itself as I carry a cheapo Sevylor, but we use it alot since placing the davits. We tried the "inflate and deflate" method, and that ended up being too much of a pain in the a&&, resulting in rare dinghy use.

I ended up using the quick disconnect plates. They, or the actual snap davits can be installed by drilling into the transom and imbedding the screws and mounting plates with 3M 5200. Measure twice using this stuff because its permanent. Some people here will insist on a backing plate - you'll be fine without it as long as you're hanging an inflatable. Besides, you'll never be able to access that part of the transom from the engine compartment without permanent chiropractic care.

I use a rope tied to the far side of my dinghy to cinch it up to the transom grab rail while underway. At the dock, I let out a couple of feet of rope and enter/exit the boat from the side. If you've got a fancy dinghy, you can buy standoffs for this, but for us, the rope system works fine. Do what works best for you.

Remind me after May 1st if you need to and I can show you some detailed pictures, but don't worry if you can't wait -- the installation is pretty intuitive and I'd rate the project as easy.

Good luck.

Simo
2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain

davits 03 Feb 2010 12:55 #5

• Blues46
I did this , and am very happy with it.

davits 06 Feb 2010 15:25 #6

• ennismore2855
thanks for the replys they have been very helpfull.

davits 06 Feb 2010 16:22 #7

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

Gilligan;413910 wrote: I'd like to get the Weaver Snap Davits. Not cheap but they are the best answer, I think.

+ 1 for an inflatable!

Weaver's Snap Davits allow you to float up next to your stern, and with a simple lift/snap maneuver, your tender is connected to the boat while you remain in the tender......, and you need not do anything else if you want to just leave it connected, yet remain floating.
Very quick, and the reason for the "snap" in the title.
The SS Stand-offs of the pads do not cause any abrasion to the tender tubes, either. I see this as a real plus to the Weaver system. :)

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

davits 06 Feb 2010 18:16 #8

• 2thmkr
The Weaver system is good and I highly recommend it, too. There're a couple things to keep in mind though which ever way you go.

You didn't mention how old you are or the type/size of dinghy you have. I mention this because it can be a bit of an effort to raise and lower your tender out of the water. If you're older and not that physically fit, or if you want your wife to be able to put it in or take it out (now keep your mind out of the gutter), then you really might consider spending the money and get the Seawise system (which I think is probably the best, but also very expensive) or the Weaver leaver system. Either one will allow you to keep your outboard attached to the dinghy so you don't have to wrestle it onto it when it's lowered, or conversely take it off and lift it back into the boat when you're done.

If you have an inflatable without a hard shell bottom, you probably don't want to get either the SeaWise or Weave Leaver system as you won't want to keep the motor attached- the dinghy is too flimsy for this. Also if you have a smaller hard shell dinghy, you might not want these systems either as the added weight to the dinghy's stern could compromise their safety.

If you're not concerned about the weight hassles, then I like the basic Weaver davit system. You can use it for inflatables or hard shell dinghies and it's fairly easy to install. You can also rig up a pulley system to help raise and lower the dinghy, too, if you want. You'll still have to manually lift your outboard back and forth, but that's what you're sacrificing in your cost savings.

davits 06 Feb 2010 21:30 #9

• ennismore2855
i've got a titan280 rib dingy with an aluminum bottom from the boat show . The weaver davits look to be the way i'm going to go,because of the smaller swim deck I was thinking of the extened davit heads my work better but was wondering if I would be loseing strength on the platform with the over hang or should I stick with the standered heads. The dingy is 106LBS. also i'm 49 an in good shape so lifting it will not be a problem. I just want to make the right choice the first time

davits 07 Feb 2010 00:17 #10

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Good point!
Even on a 28, you may feel the added stern weight..... particularly when the dinghy is cantilevered.
The more cantilever, the more effective stern weight.....less is better!

Weaver should provide a pretty thorough explanation on how to lay out, adhere the pads and secure the snap davits.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

davits 08 Feb 2010 22:14 #11

• 2thmkr
Just another thought when you mount the davits...

because the dinghy's sides aren't parallel when you mount it off of your swim step and have it raised veritcally, it actually might look like it's setting at an angle.

What I did was to increase the height of one of the davits off of the swimstep so the dinghy looks more parallel to the water when it's upright. (This was for a Brig 9' rib inflatable.) I raised the davit by buying a 4x6x12 solid piece of plastic and cutting it to the height I needed to give a better vertical view.

Lots of people just mount them without doing this, but as my wife has pointed out too many times, I'm a bit anal about some things and this was one of them. It honestly looks a lot better from the stern when under way as the dinghy doesn't look like it was mounted improperly due to a lot of beer consumption.

davits 08 Feb 2010 22:24 #12

• 2thmkr
I also wouldn't worry too much about extending the davits out a bit.

Rick is right as that extension will effect your stern more, but if you're looking to make it easier, and safer, to walk on the platform, the few inches you pick up by extending it out makes sense to me.

You're getting the stainless standoffs, too, right? They'll definately help in making it easier to walk back there, but it'll still be awkward. Assuming you'll use 2, you can always undo one of them while on the dock to help to clear the way.

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds