Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 03 Feb 2010 14:07 #26

• ronlord
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks really nice to me. I wouldn't think 14.5 is out of line for that boat. Good luck if you decide to purchase.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 03 Feb 2010 19:23 #27

• charheep
  • charheep's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
If i go alone, is there an easy way to tell if it is a Vortec engine or not?

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 03 Feb 2010 20:05 #28

• oldcrow
  • Thank you received: 17

Wayne's World;413733 wrote: John, Welcome to BOC :arr, She looks very nice !!. :)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

was this pic taken at bay port

1984 3870 bayliner

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 03 Feb 2010 20:07 #29

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551

charheep;414181 wrote: If i go alone, is there an easy way to tell if it is a Vortec engine or not?

On my old 4.3 Vortec, the valve covers had "VORTEC" molded into them.

GOogling around reveals certain tidbits (center-bolt valve covers??) but the best way would be to call Doug Russell ( www.dougrussell.com ) and ask them how to identify.

I wish I had a better answer for you. The further one way or the other you get from 1997, the more clear the answer gets.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 04 Feb 2010 01:31 #30

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

charheep;414181 wrote: If i go alone, is there an easy way to tell if it is a Vortec engine or not?

You could take down the hull number and contact Bayliner. They might be willing to make the information available. Engine number too would help.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 04 Feb 2010 03:03 #31

• tbkohl
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
A 26 footer , you should fit rite in.
Be thankful your not a bowrider owner.

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 04 Feb 2010 03:20 #32

• Kåre L
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4

I think it was rick (Bounty) who once mentioned the intake manifold on the Vortec is mounted to the heads with a different number of bolts than the older design. I wish I remembered the details, but I *think* the Vortec has 8 and the older non-Vortec 12 bolts on the intake. Check to make sure this is correct. This is very easy to check once you see the engine and the intake manifolds are not interchangeable for this reason.
P.S. I just googled it. Yes, Vortec is 8 bolts, the older non-Vortec is 12.

Kåre
1990 3288 MY twin Ford 351's "Celuna"
Lighthouse Marina, Lake Murray, SC

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 04 Feb 2010 03:32 #33

• MVHespera
I have not reviewed all the advice you received, but my first Bayliner was the 1999 2655. It was equipped with the 5.0 liter Alpha, which drove the boat on cruise for 23 to 28 and maxed out in the lower 30s.

Great boat, I would not agree with an earlier poster who felt it handled 8 footers on lake Erie, we had the ride of our nightmares in 4 to 5 footers on Long Island Sound. The boat is light and if your boat mates are sensitive to the sounds and movement of boating you may find yourself running on 2 to 3 footers in the 12 to 15 knot range, otherwise your dental work will require review.

Double check the hours on your sea trial, as the 2655 Ciera SB we owned did not have a visible meter, and only a computer equipped mechanic could read the engine hours, ours was listed for sale at 225 but we later found out that that was simply an "estimate". Real hours were longer , however it was moot to the performance of the boat.

One other item to be aware of is that two adults of 5'10 range must use the aft sleeping cabin as the vee berth cannot really handle you comfortably. The aft is comfy but if someone really had bad claustrophobia, there could be an issue.

Fair winds and calm seas

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 05 Feb 2010 02:12 #34

• OneidaSteve
i also have a 2655 with alpha 5.0 and agree it is a great boat, a little harsh in chop while on plane, but no real complaints. i personally dont agree with buying a boat of this type needing tlc. My principal hobby is resorting small runabouts, and i buy them generally in horrible shape - because either it is excellent, or everything is going to the dump anyways. a cruiser that is dirty and neglected will have mold and water stains ruining materials everywhere, as well as dubious electrical plumbing and powertrain condition. to me it isnt worth the discount - i would suggest you keep looking at really nice clean examples like the one featured, albeit hopefully at a little cheaper price.

New to BOC, saying hello, and looking for advice on this boat 05 Feb 2010 03:16 #35

• tbkohl
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Just looked @ the ad.
That boat is less than 2 miles from my house.
Need help looking her over I am available.

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds