• Page:

TOPIC: For those who remember the Chanticleer

For those who remember the Chanticleer 02 Feb 2010 13:57 #1

• dmcb
  • dmcb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
The Evinrude yacht that has been mentioned here a few times.
Junior, the Captain that worked for the Evinrudes for maybe 50 years has passed away.
Almost the last link I had to that era.
A very small look at a lifestyle movies are made from.
The entire estate is now gone. After Francis died, the boat was sold, her estate bulldozed down and condo's built.
An era gone.
I think back how many times I have seen that boat go into the Baie Fine, sliding by with hardly a ripple. Of Junior taking her out at night to take a guest out. If anyone has been there you know how easy it would be to hit something with a boat that size.
Or taking the boat to Killarney for a fish dinner. The actions of the truly rich yet they were in touch with everyone local.
Very rich yet very common.
Formal dining aboard their boat yet Ralph Evinrude would hop in a boat in an old sweatshirt to help work on an old Evinrude if he saw someone having trouble.
It is possible I may see Tom Evinrude but he owns the cottage along with his sister but has not visited it in 3 years now.
Gone but missed.
Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

For those who remember the Chanticleer 02 Feb 2010 14:24 #2

• ronlord
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Doug

We passed her August 3, 2004 on the Erie Canal - she was going West, we were heading East. There was an article in Power and Motoryacht a few years back on the Chanticleer and the restoration her new owners did. They upgraded her while keeping her as original as possible - Francis and Ol' Ralph would be proud.

For those who remember the Chanticleer 02 Feb 2010 14:31 #3

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Doug, do these help?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

For those who remember the Chanticleer 02 Feb 2010 15:30 #4

• Spitfire
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, we sure saw her (the Boat) and her (Francis) and him (Ralph) many times in Little Current at the dock and in Baie Fine. Francis would walk her dog along the waterfront in the evening, and always looked fantastic. We would see her crew in the grocery store stocking up on supplies.

When she passed away, she left a considerable amount of money to the hospital in Little Current.

They are very much a part of the wonderful history of the North Channel.

Nice photos, Mike.

Marc
1992 3288 "Spitfire" with twin 5.8L inboards
1988 17ft Century "L'll Spitfire" with single 2.5LMercruiser

For those who remember the Chanticleer 02 Feb 2010 16:21 #5

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes nice photo's Mike. We first knew them before they bought that cottage. They had an older Chanticleer then. Built in the teens at Defoe Shipyard, Bay City, Mich. It was 113 feet long as I recall.
Another sad note. There are 3 cottages in the Pool where the cottage is. Evinrudes is the one in the middle. The one on the end is owned by a couple from the Toronto area I believe. They have owned it for as long as we have been coming to the area. Jim just had a stroke and will not be coming back.
His wife is worried about her dog if she has to go to a nursing home. She has been ailing for years but still managed the boat trip in. I will miss seeing them sitting on the dock watching the boats. I often gave them fish.
He first introduced me to warm beer. Ug. That was in the 60's.
Only the people in the 3rd cottage are left. I have known that family for 46 years. The retired daughter is the owner now. We have dinner with her several times a season and we exchange letters and emails all year. I let her 9 year old granddaughter run our 3870 up the Baie. You can imagine how thrilled she was.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned

For those who remember the Chanticleer 02 Feb 2010 16:24 #6

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Spitfire;413554 wrote: Yes, we sure saw her (the Boat) and her (Francis) and him (Ralph) many times in Little Current at the dock and in Baie Fine. Francis would walk her dog along the waterfront in the evening, and always looked fantastic. We would see her crew in the grocery store stocking up on supplies.

When she passed away, she left a considerable amount of money to the hospital in Little Current.

They are very much a part of the wonderful history of the North Channel.

Nice photos, Mike.

And that area was very much a part of them. Ralph's dad Ole, use to bring his yacht to Baie Fine also.
At one time both he and Ralph had their boats at the pool.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds