Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Some interesting Larson findings...

Some interesting Larson findings... 01 Feb 2010 21:27 #1

• Download_Complete
  • Download_Complete's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
As we all know, Larson is one of the Genmar brands undergoing Chapter 11. Since they seem to be in the process of being sold off, I had assumed (perhaps naievely) that since the tunnel has light in it, I could go back and consider one again as a new boat. I am really fond of the Senza series, specifically the 206:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Well, I found out there is no longer any way to contact Larson off their webpage. No "Contact Us". Hmmm....okay. Off to the dealer site. The local dealer here is Duchows Boat Center. Called their Fox Lake location, they have discontinued new boat sales. They are service-only at this point.

Interesting. So I called their Pewaukee WI location. They sell Glastron, but as of the new year they have DROPPED Larson from the lineup. Would I like a Glastron instead? (No)

In other words, there are now no longer any Larson dealers in the northern IL/southern WI region, and I have no way of contacting them to get information on 2010s. I am sure I could do a Boattrader search and find a dealer, but with no way of getting it serviced and no real guarantee of their future at this point...yeah right.

Such a shame.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Some interesting Larson findings... 01 Feb 2010 21:47 #2

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

Download_Complete;413254 wrote: As we all know, Larson is one of the Genmar brands undergoing Chapter 11. Since they seem to be in the process of being sold off, I had assumed (perhaps naievely) that since the tunnel has light in it, I could go back and consider one again as a new boat. I am really fond of the Senza series, specifically the 206:

Well, I found out there is no longer any way to contact Larson off their webpage. No "Contact Us". Hmmm....okay. Off to the dealer site. The local dealer here is Duchows Boat Center. Called their Fox Lake location, they have discontinued new boat sales. They are service-only at this point.

Interesting. So I called their Pewaukee WI location. They sell Glastron, but as of the new year they have DROPPED Larson from the lineup. Would I like a Glastron instead? (No)

In other words, there are now no longer any Larson dealers in the northern IL/southern WI region, and I have no way of contacting them to get information on 2010s. I am sure I could do a Boattrader search and find a dealer, but with no way of getting it serviced and no real guarantee of their future at this point...yeah right.

Such a shame.

It'd be easier to find a boat if you had any clue what you wanted... between 17' runabouts and 32' cruisers, 1980 to 2010... geez :D

I just saw a 209 up here that's a dealer repo , listed at $29,900. Dunno if thats a deal or not, all the newer runabouts seem like ripoffs to me. Not as attractive in blue as your red one.

It's only a 305, I know you wanted one new for $10,000 with a 496 and a duo-prop... don't know why I even posted this :)

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Some interesting Larson findings... 01 Feb 2010 22:04 #3

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

ishiboo;413260 wrote: It'd be easier to find a boat if you had any clue what you wanted... between 17' runabouts and 32' cruisers, 1980 to 2010... geez :D

I just saw a 209 up here that's a dealer repo , listed at $29,900. Dunno if thats a deal or not, all the newer runabouts seem like ripoffs to me. Not as attractive in blue as your red one.

It's only a 305, I know you wanted one new for $10,000 with a 496 and a duo-prop... don't know why I even posted this :)

I saw that one. Most of them are 5.0s. I see an errant 5.7 or two over in the PNW area, I guess due to higher altitudes. :)

What I am looking for is simple (to me anyway): 18 or 20 foot BR, OR a very specific 2850 Contessa. Whichever wins will be the one I am most enamored with at the time I get a loan check.

As for a BR, I'll go 18 BR if (and its a REALLY big IF) it will fit in my garage without obliterating the other parking space for a Ford Focus wagon. The garage is 19.1 L x 21.1 W, but the garage door shortens it by about a foot. If an 18BR won't fit, then it means storage, which means I may as well get a bigger and more comfortable boat - hence, a 20 BR. In each case, I am only interested in the largest engine option available, even if it means I have to order it. Ideally I could find one used, but that seems to be impossible based on all the stock boats that were sold (and are now hitting the used market).

If that 2850 comes up, then all is null and void.

Make sense? :)

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Some interesting Larson findings... 01 Feb 2010 22:09 #4

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Can you tell my specialities are software test cases at work? Thats pretty much how my brain works. :P

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Some interesting Larson findings... 01 Feb 2010 22:24 #5

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

Download_Complete;413265 wrote: I saw that one. Most of them are 5.0s. I see an errant 5.7 or two over in the PNW area, I guess due to higher altitudes. :)

What I am looking for is simple (to me anyway): 18 or 20 foot BR, OR a very specific 2850 Contessa. Whichever wins will be the one I am most enamored with at the time I get a loan check.

As for a BR, I'll go 18 BR if (and its a REALLY big IF) it will fit in my garage without obliterating the other parking space for a Ford Focus wagon. The garage is 19.1 L x 21.1 W, but the garage door shortens it by about a foot. If an 18BR won't fit, then it means storage, which means I may as well get a bigger and more comfortable boat - hence, a 20 BR. In each case, I am only interested in the largest engine option available, even if it means I have to order it. Ideally I could find one used, but that seems to be impossible based on all the stock boats that were sold (and are now hitting the used market).

Is Robyn's playing hard-to-get for you too? :) No 2955 considerations? As you told me, it's basically the same boat... slightly better layout though and definitely more modern.

I'm shopping too, thinking about getting a small center console, or maybe a bow rider if I find a deal. Seems once you move the console to the center of a boat it doubles the price. There's a nice little Dauntless 150 here but I think 15' will be way too small to take the places I want to take it.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Some interesting Larson findings... 01 Feb 2010 22:29 #6

• BrianM
  • Thank you received: 0

Download_Complete;413268 wrote: Can you tell my specialities are software test cases at work? Thats pretty much how my brain works. :P

AND, a guy who knows exactly what he wants and why he wants it..........good luck, I am sure you will find it soon!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian
Southern California
2008 Maxum 1900 SR3, 4.3V-6, Alpha 1

Some interesting Larson findings... 01 Feb 2010 22:53 #7

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Glad I dont deal with our software issues here. Stairing at code for 8 hours makes me think of shooting myself. :prod

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

Some interesting Larson findings... 02 Feb 2010 04:19 #8

• gandude
  • Thank you received: 0
It looks like a California Company bought most of Genmar. But the old Genmar CEO would like to buy Larson back from them. See link below.

http://www.startribune.com/business/81038282.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUI

2006 Bayliner 195 Classic, Mercruiser 3.0

Some interesting Larson findings... 02 Feb 2010 09:03 #9

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
Larson has had a rough history. At one time Brunswick owned it. It was not a good period in its history.
From an article I read: After the sale to Brunswick, production problems developed and quality suffered. Loyal dealers were abandoning ship. Large corporate culture was foreign to the close knit, family environment at Larson. What occurred over the next three years dismantled the core of the former Larson Boat Works. The 1961 Larson models were being produced at the two plants in Minnesota and Georgia. Cutter’s Tell City plant was shut down after that season (Lee Wangstad). Brunswick moved the molding of hulls and component manufacturing of both Larson and Cutter to a newly constructed plant near Warsaw, Indiana closing the recently opened plant at Alliance, Ohio. Completed parts were then shipped to Little Falls for final assembly and finishing. Decision making was also transferred from Little Falls to Warsaw. The closure of facilities and the move of management made for numerous quality problems and brought morale to an all time low.

Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Some interesting Larson findings... 02 Feb 2010 14:01 #10

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592

Download_Complete;413265 wrote: I saw that one. Most of them are 5.0s. I see an errant 5.7 or two over in the PNW area, I guess due to higher altitudes. :)

Matt, I have to chuckle here. Buying a boat for most is almost like getting married.
I am reminded of a friend who would go to a bar on a Sat. night and take home anyone who would go with him. :D :kidding
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds