• Page:

TOPIC: How do I work the pump out

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 18:31 #1

• 123boat
  • 123boat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All

I have a new to me Bayliner 285.

All seems reasonably straight forward, although if you have a quirky tip would love to hear it. The issue I have is the black water toilet tank and the "over the side" pump out method.

I have two switches under the helm and if I follow the hoses a pump out connector on the stern and a seacock in the engine bay.

If i am offshore and want to dump over the side do I simply open the engine bay seacock and hit the switches under the helm. Do i use one or both switches.

Also are there gauges that tell me how full this tank is and also how full the water tank is

thanks everyone

Amusingly the old owner had actually taped the toilet shut because he couldn't figure this bit out. My crew will not be so understanding!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

James
NSW Australia
After years of sailing a bad back has led me to motor boating and now a 2006 Bayliner 285 :D.

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 18:36 #2

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
first off..welcome to the zoo....the 285 is a nice sized boat....2ndly....yes you need to insure that the valve is open and then hit both switches at the same time to get it to pump overboard...however...be sure to read the laws governing pumping overboard in US waters..you can end up paying a healthy fine if you do that in US waters...
on this sized boat usually the only gauge for the san tank is your mk 1 eyeballs....open the hatch and see how full it is...you can purchase a system that will tell you how much is in the tank....there are several types of indicating systems and all it takes is money...

:arr arr

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 18:54 #3

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 51

123boat;413188 wrote: Hi All

All seems reasonably straight forward, although if you have a quirky tip would love to hear it. The issue I have is the black water toilet tank and the "over the side" pump out method.

I have two switches under the helm and if I follow the hoses a pump out connector on the stern and a sea-**** in the engine bay.

If i am offshore and want to dump over the side do I simply open the engine bay sea-**** and hit the switches under the helm. Do i use one or both switches.

Also are there gauges that tell me how full this tank is and also how full the water tank is

thanks everyone

Amusingly the old owner had actually taped the toilet shut because he couldn't figure this bit out. My crew will not be so understanding!

Without actually seeing what you have I am just taking a shot at this so. The sea-**** in the engine bay is more than likely the raw water supply to flush the toilet. If your toilet is the standard jabsco type you will probably have to lube the leathers in the pump chamber or more that likely rebuild it if it has never been used.

From there the waste should go through a Y valve. The function of this valve is to direct it to the holding tank or directly outside. In the Us it has to be fastened in to holding tank position on all inland waters and within three miles of shore. The two switch's you have are the macerator they have to be pushed simultaneous to activate the macerator which grinds the tank waste and pumps it over the side.

You should also have a cap somewhere in the gunnell of the boat that says waste on it. This is to be used when using a pump-out station at the dock. Take the cap off insert the nozzle on the pump out hose and open the valve on the nozzle. Pump until it is dry close the valve, put approx 3-5 gallons of water back down the line from the water hose to flush things out then pump it back out. Then you will need some type of tank treatment, you put it in the head after emptying it and pump it through.

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 19:16 #4

• 123boat
Thanks very much for the quick feedback

We are in Australia in a small inlet that doubles for a harbour so most of our stuff will be up and down the coast.

Pretty easy to get two miles Offshore and hit the switch

thanks again

James
NSW Australia
After years of sailing a bad back has led me to motor boating and now a 2006 Bayliner 285 :D.

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 19:23 #5

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
ooohh you can usually tell when shes done, the macerator will make a louder pitch when it starts getting empty. And the real nasty smells start to come out too at the bottom....mmmmmmmm brings back memories.

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 19:29 #6

• BrianM

123boat;413188 wrote: Hi All

I have two switches under the helm and if I follow the hoses a pump out connector on the stern and a seacock in the engine bay.

If i am offshore and want to dump over the side........

First, congrats on the boat and good luck.

Next, don't have the same boat so can't help with your question.

Finally, if I am behind you give me some warning before you dump.........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian
Southern California
2008 Maxum 1900 SR3, 4.3V-6, Alpha 1

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 20:12 #7

• dmcb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 597
From all I have seen the Y valve directs the toilet discharge directly overboard or to the holding tank.
The pump needs nothing more than pushing the switches. They are two separate things.
The pump discharge is directly connected to the tank. No valve separates it.
If it doesn't pump, find the pump in the bilge. It will be close to the holding tank.
At the end of the shaft there will be a slot. Put a screwdriver in that slot and turn it clockwise. That should start the action. If the pump isn't used the thick stuff dries in the rubber impeller of the pump. You need to get that moving. If it is still a problem find the outlet and shoot some water from a hose in the outlet. That will get water to the pump to help lube it.
If it is stuck you will blow a fuse if you hold the switches down. Just bump the switches off and on if it doesn't pump immediately.
There may not even be a Y valve on your boat.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 22:05 #8

• Seaquel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
HI,
You have some words of instruction here a couple of which I believe are wrong. I have the same boat you do (assuming that they didn't make a different design for different countries)
1. Before you do anything as Seapuppy advised, check the laws in your area for dumping
2. There is no Y valve. The seacock in the engine bay is indeed for the macerator. The one for the raw water intake for the head is under the cabin stairs. To pump overboard simply open the seacock, then hold the two toggle switches (under helm) simultaneously to activate the macerator which will pump the contents of the holding tank overboard.
3. There is no guage for the black water tank or the fresh water tank.
BTW I've never used mine because you have to be at least 3 miles off shore for it to be legal. Anytime I have been it's been rough enough that I didn't want to have to crawl into the engine bay with a hot engine to open the seacock (which is a little tough to get to) Moreover I don't like the idea of leaving it open, since the through hull is below the water line.
You might want to rethink the whole thing and just use a pumpout facility.
Good luck and welcome to BOC

Ralph
Ciera 2855

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 22:20 #9

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54

biohazard;413212 wrote: ooohh you can usually tell when shes done, the macerator will make a louder pitch when it starts getting empty. And the real nasty smells start to come out too at the bottom....mmmmmmmm brings back memories.

Bio knows of what he speaks lol.:D

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 22:25 #10

• 123boat
Thanks again everyone.

Seaqual, since you have the same boat any tips or mods you have made to make life better?

James
NSW Australia

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 22:52 #11

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
didn't know he was in Australia but check with your laws and sea regs for dumping in the water...I'd still take it to a pump out facility myself...kinda funny that way...

:arr arr

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 23:33 #12

• Owtlaw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I found a trick to checking the level in the waste tank. Mine is very discolored and it's hard to see how full it is. If I hold a strong flashlight up against the tank and slide it down, the level is very easy to see as it darkens significantly when you reach that point.

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 23:37 #13

• 123boat
OK. I suppose the next silly question I could ask would be where is the tank???

Like I said - All new to me?

James
NSW Australia

How do I work the pump out 01 Feb 2010 23:41 #14

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Welcome to BOC. :arr

How do I work the pump out 02 Feb 2010 03:12 #15

• Seaquel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

123boat;413311 wrote: OK. I suppose the next silly question I could ask would be where is the tank???

Like I said - All new to me?

Holding tank is on the starboard side in the engine bay.
Mods? Well not too much. We upgraded the stereo system, made a shelf for a TV in the main part of the cabin and intalled a cable inlet to supply cable to the TV's (your's being newer might have that already). Upgraded the aft cabin mattress, intalled a TV back there. Can't think of too much else off hand.
Enjoy the boat. For me it's a good fit. A decent size cruiser that has the economy of single screw.

Ralph
Ciera 2855
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds