• Page:

TOPIC: Why do they Cheap them out?

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 17:08 #1

• SoFloStone
  • SoFloStone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I was down at National liquidators twice this week checking out 30+ foot boats, and was amazed at the number of MY's that had cheap arse plastic (Perko?) thru-hull fittings on them.

I have to think these were $100K+ boats when brand new, why cheap out on $100 worth of decent metal thru-hulls?

And why would a New Owner accept them that way from the Dealer? I mean you snap one of these off and your sunk...

:confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

[/I][/B]

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 17:40 #2

• RonD
Simple.. the bottom line $$$ and the part will most likely get the manufacturer thru the warranty period with out problems. Sad but true.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My Pleasure

2001 Ciera 2452
5.7 / Alpha
Click here to join 2452 Owners :)

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 19:03 #3

• 2006-289
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
So people could afford to buy them. If the boats are at national liquidators obviously people couldn't afford to even with plastic through hulls.

They last long enough for the repo-man to find the boat on the surface.

Pretty sure they meet some sort of federal standard though...

Zodiac Hurricane 733 CZ7
2002 Trophy W/A Mercury 150 four stroke

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 19:05 #4

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Were these through hulls above the waterline?
Were they Marelon or nylon/plastic?

Maybe it's not as simple as bottom line dollars. My Tiara has bronze below the waterline and Marelon above the waterline. I assure you Tiara does not cut corners - they use high-end materials and products, and gladly pass all of that cost along to the owner.

Here's my (totally unsupported) theory - just a WAG
Through hulls above the waterline are more vulnerable to catching on docks and pillings. If you catch a bronze one and twist it in the hull, it can badly damage the hull and still cause a bad leak. A Marelon fitting is not cheap, is very strong, but will fail before the hull 'glass is badly damaged. Above the waterline, this would be preferable.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 19:12 #5

• Gilligan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 17
I almost changed my above waterline through hulls to metal and them came to the same conclusion Mike did when I snapped on on the dock. Easy enough to replace, though I would prefer having flush mounted ones.

Mike C.
1985 Bayliner Contessa Command Bridge :coo-
Brand New (2013) Custom Volvo Penta 7.4GL with Full closed cooling
Duo Prop and SS props:go-
Through hull exhaust with fiberglass mufflers and through hull raw water intake
35 Gal. FW Tank, 10 Gal. Holding Tank
9'6" Baltik Dinghy with Evinrude...

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 19:33 #6

• RonD

whiskywizard;412075 wrote: Were these through hulls above the waterline?
Were they Marelon or nylon/plastic?

Maybe it's not as simple as bottom line dollars. My Tiara has bronze below the waterline and Marelon above the waterline. I assure you Tiara does not cut corners - they use high-end materials and products, and gladly pass all of that cost along to the owner.

Here's my (totally unsupported) theory - just a WAG
Through hulls above the waterline are more vulnerable to catching on docks and pillings. If you catch a bronze one and twist it in the hull, it can badly damage the hull and still cause a bad leak. A Marelon fitting is not cheap, is very strong, but will fail before the hull 'glass is badly damaged. Above the waterline, this would be preferable.

Very good point and I didnt think of it that way. I am not knocking holes in what you are saying but doesn't SeaRay put metal ones on their boats.. above and below water ? Same company, just a higher priced unit off the line. I am sure there is more to it than that but ???

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My Pleasure

2001 Ciera 2452
5.7 / Alpha
Click here to join 2452 Owners :)

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 19:52 #7

• ronlord
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I agree with Mike - Mainship does the same thing - metal at or below waterline, plastic on hull side.

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 20:12 #8

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

RonD;412089 wrote: but doesn't SeaRay put metal ones on their boats.. above and below water ? Same company, just a higher priced unit off the line. I am sure there is more to it than that but ???

I'm not sure. What I remember is when we were shopping for our current boat we looked at a number of Sea Rays from 41' to 46'. All were expresses. I can't be certain, but I don't recall seeing bronze above the waterline. I do know for sure that the one 460 Sundancer that I was seriously interested in had a mix of bronze and Marelon fittings. And when they came out of the factory, the SR's price points were well below the Tiara's.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 21:33 #9

• SoFloStone
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The plastic fittings were above the water line (how else would I see them LOL :kidding) and I would say mid-hull....

Mike's response does make some sort of sense, but it just looks really cheesy!

And for what it's worth, the Employee that I was talking to down there said jokingly that they were the 'Largest SeaRay Dealership in the world'!

I thought that was pretty funny...

:D

[/I][/B]

Why do they Cheap them out? 29 Jan 2010 22:00 #10

• The_Sea_Word
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Another not so small point is that plastic does not corrode. Many a bronze fitting or even stainless has made a stain of a FG hull.

This is especially important when people do stuff like swabbing their hulls down with acid like on/off which can bugger up a metal fitting nicely.

Why do they Cheap them out? 30 Jan 2010 21:57 #11

• BLCarl
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
A pro kayaker friend installed stainless fittings on his new kevlar dream boat (nothing is too good for this boat) within a week one fitting was bashed into and pulled out of the jellcoat. After the repair the origional plastic fittings were reinstalled.

Carl

Why do they Cheap them out? 30 Jan 2010 22:33 #12

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

SoFloStone;412149 wrote: And for what it's worth, the Employee that I was talking to down there said jokingly that they were the 'Largest SeaRay Dealership in the world'!

:D

It took me a minute to understand. That IS pretty funny.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

Why do they Cheap them out? 31 Jan 2010 00:20 #13

• mole2
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • All Y'all, I'm here
  • Thank you received: 18

The_Sea_Word;412162 wrote: Another not so small point is that plastic does not corrode. Many a bronze fitting or even stainless has made a stain of a FG hull.

This is especially important when people do stuff like swabbing their hulls down with acid like on/off which can bugger up a metal fitting nicely.

They don't corrode per se, but plastic will start to crumble and get brittle from exposure to UV rays. Marelon won't. So just because it looks like plastic doesn't mean it is.

My Trophy has bronze fittings below the water line and marelon above. I did purchase replacement chromed bronze fittings for the above water line fittings but life through me a curve before I could put them in. It could be a project for this year or next.

:)

Richie M.

15 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope, Steve Jobs and no Obama.

Now we have Obama but no Jobs no Cash and no Hope!

2005 Trophy 2052 -
Mercruiser 4.3L FWC Alpha 1 Gen II
and Extended Hard Top
Click here for pictures of my Trophy 2052
Longs South Carolina

Why do they Cheap them out? 01 Feb 2010 17:39 #14

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215

cheap arse plastic (Perko?) thru-hull fittings

Can you visually tell the difference between plastic, nylon, Marelon, and FRP? Do you know what the durability differences are? It may not really be what you think it looks like.

Given the choice of Marelon or metal, I'd go with Marelon every time. May not be as pretty, but it will likely outlive the metal, and be easier to remove if needed.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Why do they Cheap them out? 01 Feb 2010 18:24 #15

• SoFloStone
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

SwampNut;413161 wrote: Can you visually tell the difference between plastic, nylon, Marelon, and FRP? Do you know what the durability differences are? It may not really be what you think it looks like.

Given the choice of Marelon or metal, I'd go with Marelon every time. May not be as pretty, but it will likely outlive the metal, and be easier to remove if needed.

Nope, and Nope...

And if they are so great, why don't the really big boats 70'+ have them?

:o

It just struck me as odd while looking at all the different boats, and thought I would ask the question.

Some have them, some don't...

[/I][/B]

Why do they Cheap them out? 01 Feb 2010 19:48 #16

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
SOme research turned up that the big boats DO use Marelon. Some of the reasons include its total corrosion resistance, its light weight, and that Marelon valves are maintenance free (except for some lubrication) . The fact that it's not a conductor aids in overall corrosion control too.

Forespar reports that,
"Marelon® plumbing is now used by custom builders such as Wally Yachts, Oyster, Swan, Baltic, Morris and many other production builders such as Wellcraft, Boston Whaler, Sabre, Godfrey, Triton, Hinkley, S-2/Tiara, Baja, Cobalt, and more than 100 others, power and sail. Virtually all North American production boat builders use some Marelon® plumbing components in their boats. Forespar® ships over 45,000 valves a year to service these builders and have been supplying quality-plumbing components made of engineering polymers since 1982."

Interestingly, Sea Ray was one of the first to adopt Marelon.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds