Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bayliner 300 rolling at anchor - tips/tricks/suggestions?

Bayliner 300 rolling at anchor - tips/tricks/suggestions? 28 Jan 2010 20:56 #1

• brentww
  • brentww's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I plan to use a Bayliner 300 as a liveaboard in the British Virgin Islands area for month or two at a time. I haven't got the boat yet, but my offer has just been accepted. My only concern right now is rolling at anchor on the ocean swells will make it unsuitable as a liveaboard (vs. say the very stable but much more expensive cats that are popular down here).

Any tips or recommended products? Will I be able to just hang a few flopper-stoppers from the cleats keep it settled, or should I expect to have to rig up flopper-stoppers on vertical poles that can be brought down to the horizontal at the end of the day, to get better leverage? Any other options/suggestions?

Thanks all. Beautiful boat otherwise!

Regards,
B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bayliner 300 rolling at anchor - tips/tricks/suggestions? 28 Jan 2010 21:27 #2

• Mocoondo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Where are you planning to anchor? The open ocean?

There are plenty of coves, bays and protected anchorages throughout the BVI such that flopper stoppers, paravanes, etc. are not required at anchor. If you find yourself requiring any sort of stabilization while on the hook in the islands, a case could be made that you should probably pick a better spot to drop anchor.

I boated extensively throughout the islands from San Juan down to Trinidad back in the late 90's and never felt that I was missing out by not having stabilizers.

The rule is to just stay on the protected side of the island if you are anchoring out. You might get beat up a little bit if you go over to Anegada, but I suspect most of your cruising will be in the Tortola, St. John, Virgin Gorda areas where you will find some very pristine and calm waters.

Mocoondo
2002 Bayliner 195 Capri "Sport"
Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
MMSI: 338091755

Bayliner 300 rolling at anchor - tips/tricks/suggestions? 29 Jan 2010 01:38 #3

• brentww
  • brentww's Avatar Topic Author
Yes, would just be anchoring in bays facing the straight, so if you got by OK in your boat that's good to know, cheers. Will post pictures on forum if deal is finalized in week or two.

Did you really go right down to Trini in a 20' powerboat?! I'd like to go to Trini and back up to Bahamas over next season, but (sailboat-guy) broker suggested it would be a stretch in a light planing boat like the Bayliner 300.

If folks here say that's well within reach of what's relatively safe and adviseable given appropriate conditions etc, then that's also good news as well.

Cheers,
B

Bayliner 300 rolling at anchor - tips/tricks/suggestions? 29 Jan 2010 01:45 #4

• Spitfire
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
The BVIs are a beautiful area....enjoy your time there.

Marc
1992 3288 "Spitfire" with twin 5.8L inboards
1988 17ft Century "L'll Spitfire" with single 2.5LMercruiser
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds