TOPIC: Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 27 Jan 2010 22:30 #1

• bhawes
  • bhawes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Hello.
Has anyone combined their Lowrance GPS (with NMEA 2000) with the EP- 60P flow meter?
I was going to purchase a Flow Scan unit, but remembered that my LCX - 27C has fuel flow capabilities. It's just a matter of purchasing the EP - 60 P (used to be EP 10), and connecting it into the fuel line and the 2000 network. They also have a fluid monitor (for fuel tank), as well as others. The only down side that I can see is having all of your eggs in one basket, but as someone else mentioned, once you've determined your best running speeds etc., you seldom look at the meter again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 27 Jan 2010 22:36 #2

• jim.smithjr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
I have done that and it works fine. I have an LMS 520c (external antenna) on my upper helm and a LMS 522c (internal antenna) on my lower helm. They are both connected to a network to which I have also connected fuel flow meters for each engine, and tank meters for both fresh and black water tanks. I have the fresh tank connected, but the black tank still needs to be connected.

For a year I moved the LMS 522c back and forth from my lower helm to my inflatable, but that got old in a hurry so I bought another LMS 522c just for the inflatable. Now I only have one system to learn. Being a slow learner, I have several challenging years ahead!

Jim & Pam Smith
2016 Polar Craft 1670, Evinrude 15 HP outboard, Auto boat loader on Ford Explorer
Past Commodore, Lake Diefenbaker Yacht Club
Commander (1991 Charter & Current), Saskatchewan Power & Sail Squadron

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 27 Jan 2010 22:56 #3

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Jim, thank you. I think that I'll give it a go. It should be less expensive than the Flow Scan.
btw, I just looked up your LMS 522 and you can connect your other gps's antenae to it if it's any advantage for you. You're smart to have multible units on board.
Even though I live in the S.E, corner of B.C., I do my fishing out of Port Renfrew. Great part of the country.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 27 Jan 2010 23:41 #4

• jim.smithjr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Now that I have both units on my network I think they use whichever antenna they like?

In fact, I placed the external GPS antenna on my radar arch, on the port side because I have a Shakespeare 2030 TV antenna on the starboard side. Then I parked a VuQube 3000 right beside the GPS antenna, so close it "shaded" it so it wasn't working well, if at all? The quick solution was just to switch the LMS 522c to the upper helm and the internal antenna took over immediately. Everything works fine.

I'm going to remove the Shakespeare 2030 and then move the GPS antenna to that side when I get "a round tuit".

Jim & Pam Smith
2016 Polar Craft 1670, Evinrude 15 HP outboard, Auto boat loader on Ford Explorer

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 28 Jan 2010 15:51 #5

• Ifallsguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Don't forget to pickup a NMEA network cable kit if you don't have one. Lowrance is now selling one with 2 "T"s, terminators and one 2 foot extention and one 15 foot extension for about $50. The long extension is $35 alone. They call it the Lowrance Network Starter Kit. Lowrance tech support calls it a steal since the eariler version was $70 without the 15 foot extension.

Check out this site for info.

http://www.marinenutz.com/products/Lowrance-Network-Starter-Kit.html

"THIN ICE"
1989 Capri 1950 CX
2.3 L Ford/OMC
MMSI 338094676
Ham Call N9XGZ

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 28 Jan 2010 18:30 #6

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I have done it. I have a Lowrance GlobalMap 6500C which is a Blue Connector based unit. I put in the EP-60-Red & the fluid level sensors. The only problem you will have with the Blue Connector based LCX-27 is getting a hold of the appropriate "Cross Over Cable" -- Either a Blue to Red (Male to Female) or the Red to Blue (Male to Female). It really does not matter which cross over you get, because whatever you do get, you just extend off of the appropriate Terminator side.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, Carlos, my network is longer than yours :kidding

Upper Left Hand Corner -- Freshwater Bay
1995 2002 W/A Trophy
MMSI Number: 338070644

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 29 Jan 2010 04:28 #7

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
JohnQ.
My LCX27c uses the red connectors, but there is a red to blue adapter that is readily available, is someone has blue.
I just tried to place an order with LCI for the sensor and the Starter Kit (great deal), but their website does not recognize Canada (we're that place with igloos and many people on horseback)!! I have sent them an e-mail and hopefully they will respond (hopefully not by Pony Express).
That combination is about 1/3 of the cost of a Flow Scan.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 29 Jan 2010 20:53 #8

• jim.smithjr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
They have a branch in Toronto that has none of the stupid rules to deal with that their US branches do...call them, they will make it easy for you.

I took me ages to "discover" that, and almost ruined my inherent good nature before I did!

Jim & Pam Smith

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 29 Jan 2010 21:10 #9

I to have a Lowrance LMS 520c on my 2003 285, I had wanted to go with the vessel view but it is out of my price range for this year. How much did the Lowrance fuel flow system cast and how difficult was it to install?

Bill & Brenda Andrews
CBYC Toronto,
Ontario, Canada
2003 Ciera 285
"Just Relax"

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 30 Jan 2010 01:51 #10

• jim.smithjr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I don't remember what I paid for my system. I was so confused about what I needed for connectors and such, that we went to the Miami Boat Show and visited the Lowrance booth three times in three days, and got three different lists! I came home and bought stuff from the two closests lists. That was mostly correct, but I still needed to return a few items and order a few more.

It wasn't difficult to install, quite straightforward.

All of my installation troubles were related to very tight places I needed to fish wires through. Not just wires, but wires with connectors on the ends. My 3258 isn't well thought out from that persective.

I have it all working fine except for the black water guage which I haven't tackled so far. For the freshwater guage I just used a cheapo fuel tank sender and it works fine. At least it did all last year, we'll see if it survived the layup. I bought a more sophisticated sender first, and it didn't work at all.

I really like the sytem, but of course it was out-of-date very soon after I installed it, and it is a little fussy to get going sometimes. It gives away more info than you even need to know, but it no doubt will pay for itself fairly quickly in fuel savings.

I found the Lowrance Support very exasperating, until I found the Toronto people, who actually answer the phone!. Super long waits with the USA bunch, and then like any support service your success depended on just who you spoke to. When you get a good guy or gal, make certain you get their extension number and/or name so you can call them in the future.

It's worth doing....

Jim & Pam Smith

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 02 Feb 2010 03:17 #11

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Jim. You wouldn't have a contact # for the Toronto operation would you? LEI USA will not sell to Canadian clients as they apparently are protecting their Canadian dealers. That being said, the Canadian dealers that I've spoken to have to order the parts from the U.S. By the time that you do Customs Brokers, courier, etc., the $70 sensor costs you about $150! LEI seems to be the only ones that I've found so far that actually stock all of the parts but you can't buy them). Everyone else has either a sensor, a cable, or nothing, in stock. Very frustrating!!
Bill. The installation seems dead simple. You tie the sensor into your fuel line (after a fuel filter), add a sufficient length of cable onto the short cable that comes with the unit, and then route that to your NMEA T's (which you'll already have if your GPS is NMEA capable). You just have to remove the resistor from one end, add the new T, plug your extension cable into the bottom of the T, and the resistor into the end of the T. Once you go into the menu on the gps and access the fuel management area, it will recognize the new device.
There is a tutorial on the Lowrance website for the units that are NMEA capable. Actually there is one for proably every Lowrance unit sold. I use it all the time to practice, as I'm usually only on the water fishing for a couple of weeks during the summer. RATS!!

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 02 Feb 2010 03:57 #12

• jim.smithjr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
All my manuals are in Saskatoon, and I'm not for another 1 1/2 months, so I don't have the Lowrance Canada phone number for you. I think I got it rght off their website?

Jim & Pam Smith

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 02 Feb 2010 04:22 #13

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5

jim.smithjr;413455 wrote: All my manuals are in Saskatoon, and I'm not for another 1 1/2 months, so I don't have the Lowrance Canada phone number for you. I think I got it rght off their website?

From one of my Lowrance PDF Manuals

…in Canada:
If you're in Canada and you have technical, return or repair questions,
please contact the Factory Customer Service Department. Before any
product can be returned, you must call customer service to determine if
a return is necessary. Many times, customer service can resolve your
problem over the phone without sending your product to the factory.
call us, use the following toll-free number:
800-661-3983
905-629-1614 (not toll-free)
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, M-F
:D Eh

Upper Left Hand Corner -- Freshwater Bay
1995 2002 W/A Trophy
MMSI Number: 338070644

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 02 Feb 2010 21:28 #14

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Jim and John. Thank you both. Unfortunately things change with time (sometimes not very much time). While the Canadian Customer Service is very responsive, they no longer carry any stock and refer you to Radio World in Toronto. These people seem to carry most everything (as seen on their website), and I will probably order through them. The prices are almost double what LEI U.S.A. quotes online, but it seems to be the norm up here in Canada. I had contacted a firm in Victoria who are getting me a price, but as they have to buy in the U.S., I'm sure that Custom Brokerage Fees and Courier costs will kill that deal. I will wait until hearing back from them before I order from Radio World.
It shouldn't be this hard to get accessories for things like this!

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 02 Feb 2010 21:38 #15

• Ifallsguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
You might want to check out Cabela. I just ordered a EP-60R for $70 online from them. You need to do a search, but it's there.

If you have one near you on the US side of the border, you should be able to order and have it delivered to the store freight free. Pick it up and haul it back.

"THIN ICE"
1989 Capri 1950 CX
2.3 L Ford/OMC
MMSI 338094676
Ham Call N9XGZ

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 02 Feb 2010 21:52 #16

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I was hoping to get the NMEA starter kit from the same source as the Ep-60R. All of the dealers that I found on the internet had one or the other (no one had both). Unfortunately I'm about 2 hours from the U.S. border, and the crossing is a very small one with no stores. I did check Sports Haus in Kellispell as I go that way occasionally, but they had neither, even though they are a Lowrance dealer. By the time that I drove down to the U.S. and back, I'm better off paying the listed Canadian price.
Oh the penalty we pay for living in paradise!

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Fuel Flow Meter and Lowrance 03 Feb 2010 06:15 #17

• jim.smithjr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I bought all my Lowrance stuff from the Mercury dealer in Saskatoon, and they gave me a fairly decent price break. I called the Lowrance-Toronto boys when I needed to return some items on warranty...just to be clear.

Jim & Pam Smith
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds