• Page:

TOPIC: Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 28 Jan 2010 20:53 #26

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
I missed the part that he already bought it, so ha ha, eggs on my face, I apologize.

It doesn't change my stance on this boat. This is going to take a lot of money to make right.

And Rick - do the drives have extensions on them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 28 Jan 2010 21:19 #27

• avatorlc
  • avatorlc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I traded a busted up jeep for a busted up boat :) I valued my jeep at 3k but had it for sale for a year and it never sold so lets call my investment 2500 ish.

I'm a jack of all trades pretty much tearing it down to the transom does not scare me, neither does taking the engines out and rebuilding them.

So if I have 2500 invested and I put 5k in materials I'll be just about even if I wanted to sell it.

I have never taken on a boat project like this before was wondering if I should just part it out and recoup some cash and keep my little 18' bow rider or is it possible to fix it up have a good boat and not have it cost me more than the boats worth.

Thanks for the input keep it coming.

Edit:

Is a twin engine Contesa 2850 (if that is the consensus on what boat it is) a decent boat to keep? Just have a family of 3 so I would not think I would outgrow it. anytime soon. I imagine its a good weekender boat, might even beable to strech out a week. And I finished a Log house for a couple near the Sound (NC) with a deep water dock I can keep it at free of charge.

So what would you do? Besides RUN away screaming.... :)

(P.S. there was no dash switches the wood there was me hooking up the started wires to make sure it was not locked up, both engines crank, no water in the oil, lots of rust on them, haven't started them yet, probably wont till I take them out, check compression etc, to see whats what with them.

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 28 Jan 2010 22:29 #28

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

Download_Complete;411631 wrote: ................. And Rick - do the drives have extensions on them?

Bingo! We have a winner! :arr

avatorlc;411640 wrote: ....................... I have never taken on a boat project like this before was wondering if I should just part it out and recoup some cash ................. or is it possible to fix it up have a good boat and not have it cost me more than the boats worth.................

(P.S. there was no dash switches the wood there was me hooking up the started wires to make sure it was not locked up, both engines crank, no water in the oil, lots of rust on them, haven't started them yet, probably wont till I take them out, check compression etc, to see whats what with them.

Well, it has already been suggested that you first check the transom core and stringers.
From one who has done this to a few older boats, and who has worked on many, that would be first on my list!
It is also less expensive to build a pair of 5.7L's than a pair of 5.0L's.
(I'd never over-hual a previously raw water cooled engine, btw.)

As per parting out:
Doubt that you'll do very well when having paid the equivalant of $2.5K for it..... unless you got a trailer with it.

Secondly, I'd suggest not going into this with the intent of selling, nor with the intent of spending no more than what it would be worth on the market.
IMO, either of those phylosophies would be heading you in the wrong direction!

My reasoning; Many times we end up spending more money on these older boats than what the market would bear.
The benefit is in knowing what you now have, and in knowing that you should be able to expect XYZ amount of trouble free hours of use from it! (if you did a great job at it)
We don't necessarily get that with a complete and running used boat that may appear to be all nice and shinny!
Many of us can be somewhat upside down in our older boats....... we then just use this up in the form of pleasure and enjoyment, etc.

Remember........ boats are rarely investments........, and are most always expenses!
When all done and the boat has been sold....... subtract the selling amount from the amount spent.
Divide that number by the hours of enjoyment, and there is your operating cost per hour and/or of ownership!
It's really not unlike many other $port$ or hobbie$!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 28 Jan 2010 22:38 #29

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

avatorlc;411640 wrote: I traded a busted up jeep for a busted up boat :) I valued my jeep at 3k but had it for sale for a year and it never sold so lets call my investment 2500 ish.

I'm a jack of all trades pretty much tearing it down to the transom does not scare me, neither does taking the engines out and rebuilding them.

So if I have 2500 invested and I put 5k in materials I'll be just about even if I wanted to sell it.

I have never taken on a boat project like this before was wondering if I should just part it out and recoup some cash and keep my little 18' bow rider or is it possible to fix it up have a good boat and not have it cost me more than the boats worth.

Thanks for the input keep it coming.

Edit:

Is a twin engine Contesa 2850 (if that is the consensus on what boat it is) a decent boat to keep? Just have a family of 3 so I would not think I would outgrow it. anytime soon. I imagine its a good weekender boat, might even beable to strech out a week. And I finished a Log house for a couple near the Sound (NC) with a deep water dock I can keep it at free of charge.

So what would you do? Besides RUN away screaming.... :)

A twin-engine Contessa is an awesome boat to keep. I like to see people redo things, however the economics are not good. I believe there was just a twin-engine that was listed for $8000 for quite a while, may have even been here. It was completely usable and in not bad shape from what I recall.

Don't underestimate what you'll need. $5000 gets you very little. I'm redoing my interior and even with Ultraleather I picked up for $8/yard (normal price is $80/yard, and no I didn't buy the brown stuff!) and cheap materials, the interior alone will likely cost $2500-3000 when complete. Will never be recouped. Then again, it's going to be how I want it and I plan on working every summer day on the boat so to me it's worth it :)

If it happens to run and drive great, you may be able to get away with $5k for sprucing things up if you spend wisely. If there are engine or drive problems, it won't be realistic.

A trailer for a boat that big won't be cheap. You're looking another 2k-2500 for a used trailer for it.

You have a lot to figure out, but the economics do not look good. :(

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 28 Jan 2010 22:55 #30

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well, he's stuck with it now..... the Jeep was taking up space..... who knows if the Jeep would have even sold, or when?
Now he has a larger boat....... but a project boat!

I say...... if the boat were a complete boat NOW...... and is only worth $12k ........ and if he ends up with $15K into it... (notice I did not use the word "invested" :D ) ..... but gets to use it for 4-5 years....., that's pretty darn affordable ownership!

The way that I figure it...... and with what I have into my old 2850, I'll be using it every year until the ripe old age of 97........ then I'll break even! :kidding

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 28 Jan 2010 23:16 #31

• Carleton
If I was in your shoes before I under took this project I'd go online and research what's available in the way of donated boats. My boat was a donation and came with a brand new (between 50 to 100 hrs) 325 hp 5.7 vortec and I paid $2500 for the boat. It also came with burnt up outdrive, toasted hot water heater and two dead batteries..BUT to get it up and running to the point it was suitable for family outings was only another
$1,500 and thats because I hired someone to rebuild the drive. I went beyond that and upgraded the toilet and upholstery and carpet but I did not have too. My point is before you get too heavily invested in to this boat check you other options.

Whatever you decide good luck and you'll find a lot of helpful advise on this forum.

Carleton
Proud Parent of a US MARINE
Blue Sky
Sitka, Alaska
1987 Ciera 2555 Sunbridge
5.7 Vortec, SEI Alpha 1 Gen 2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 28 Jan 2010 23:33 #32

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
One thing that I am puzzled about is the length at only 26' 8" yet being called a Contessa!

One other point that Matt said himself; "These are great boats in good shape" Add to this mix, the twin V-8's that may have been rare in this hull.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 28 Jan 2010 23:52 #33

• Speakrdude
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Don't let the nay-sayers scare you off.

My first 84 2750 was in worse shape when I picked it up 1000 miles away. Took me a little while and after restoreing every inch, including two part epoxy paint, I had a boat I was very proud off. If your not in a huge hurry, and are computer savy, you can buy parts CHEAP. (Craigslist) Most all of the support I received came from was from this very forum. (you know who you are and thank you again)

I have restored a second 84 2750 and now have it sold. I recently have purchased 2 Sea Ray 300's. One is a Sundancer, (dual i/o's) and one is a weekender (twin outboards)

How I found her.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Nice, oily, smelly, full of gunk, Bilge

Good ole 80's interior. Walls to make it feel small, Pink colors to make you feel..umm..good?

And after restoration

Jim Crews
1992 Maxum 2300SR Bowrider
1994 Ranger 354XT
1996 Maxum 3200 SCR

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 29 Jan 2010 00:19 #34

• avatorlc
Ya I'm not in a hurry to fix it up, I can wait for good deals on stuff. I think I will go for it and start tearing it apart and see how the guts of it look.

Glad I found this site can wait to bug you guys with more questions later.

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 29 Jan 2010 04:51 #35

• bwmarine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
speakrdude... wow great job! One thing I was not too crazy about is the midberth hatch which is still the same in the 87... not much room for getting by without stepping on it.
I have to replace the cockpit seating in mine as it was in too bad of shape to save. I am putting a bench seat at helm with a flip back as you would see in a center console and keep the flip up seat at stern. The port seating I am omitting for opening the space into the cabin.

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 29 Jan 2010 11:19 #36

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
The fact that the motors are not seized is great news. Hurdle 1.

For very little money you can get a moisture test done, but is sounds like you are full speed ahead on this project :) so that may not be necessary.

I must say that 5k, even doing all the work yourself may be light. I replaced the "L" lounge this summer, had the skins made but did the rebuild of the structure and install myself and the project still ran $750.00. A good bilge pump will run $100. The money will add up, fast. There is an acronym we should introduce you to at this time:

B Break
O Out
A Another
T Thousand

:D

Enjoy the project. If you have not already, check out the project section. There are some very talanted people on this sight.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 29 Jan 2010 14:46 #37

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

2850Bounty;411726 wrote: One thing that I am puzzled about is the length at only 26' 8" yet being called a Contessa!

One other point that Matt said himself; "These are great boats in good shape" Add to this mix, the twin V-8's that may have been rare in this hull.

Extremely rare. Contessas are some of the best hulls (and best selling hulls) Bayliner ever made, with a layout that is still amazing 20 years on. Nobody has managed to put as much space inside a hull as Bayliner has.

That said, if you have the skills to do this project (and it sounds like you do) and you want to do it, then by all means. We will help you and support you as best we can.

Here's the brochure scan for the 1986 2850 Contessa.

You have a 1986 based on the side window design - that changed in 1987 along with the switch from VOlvo to OMC power. Please for the love of all that is holy, strip that god-awful red paint off that boat and let her old colors shine. It looks like cheap paint so it shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Sound the structure, and make sure the stringers and transom are solid and not rotting.

I would also check compression, and bring the maintenance up to date - full tuneup, check timing, fuel filter, fluids change, change outdrive lube. I would also consider new bellows and checking your U Joints and PDS Bearings (Rick will have a lot to say on this). Make sure your tilt units are working on the drives - those get weak and are common failings on Volvo AQ powered boats.

This looks like a salt water boat, so budget for new risers and manifolds (the black exhaust components on the engines). Change the impellers.

Thats just scratching the surface of what this boat needs, but it is probably worth bringing back at this point IF and ONLY IF you have the skills to do all this yourself.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 29 Jan 2010 15:32 #38

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Download_Complete;411976 wrote: .........................

1. That said, if you have the skills to do this project (and it sounds like you do) and you want to do it, then by all means. We will help you and support you as best we can.............................

2. I would also consider new bellows and checking your U Joints and PDS Bearings (Rick will have a lot to say on this). ................................

3. but it is probably worth bringing back at this point IF and ONLY IF you have the skills to do all this yourself.

1. Yep! Will do!

2. Amen! A must do, IMO!

3. One member suggested looking at the completed projects section .... I ditto that!

So Matt....... at an actual hull length of only 26' 8" these were still being called a 2850 Contessa? Sheesh!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 29 Jan 2010 15:46 #39

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Check out the specs on the brochure. According to Bayliner the centerline length is 27 feet not including swim platform and anchor pulpit.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 30 Jan 2010 13:57 #40

• Boatman
  • Thank you received: 7

Any Boat A Good Boat
Some just cost more
86 2850 twins 275
Lake ST.Clair MI.

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 30 Jan 2010 14:25 #41

• avatorlc

Boatman;412377 wrote: My paper work said 2750 on my 2850 i tape it 31'-6"
from the tip of the pulpit to the back fo the swim platform

Boatman! we have the same boat, only yours floats!
(Ya mine is almost 32' from pulpit to swim platform also. )

How do you like yours? Have you had it long? Does it do ok on Gas? Any issues I should know about / expect to deal with?

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 30 Jan 2010 15:02 #42

• Owtlaw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Boatman;412377 wrote: My paper work said 2750 on my 2850 i tape it 31'-6"
from the tip of the pulpit to the back fo the swim platform

Exactly what I get as well. My slip is 30' (measured by counting the 24" blocks that make up the fingers) and I have about 6" from the swim platform to the back of the slip. She sticks out about 2' in the front.

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 30 Jan 2010 18:53 #43

• Boatman

avatorlc;412384 wrote: Boatman! we have the same boat, only yours floats!
(Ya mine is almost 32' from pulpit to swim platform also. )

How do you like yours? Have you had it long? Does it do ok on Gas? Any issues I should know about / expect to deal with?

I just Love the old gail
Going on 7 years now
Well its gets about 1-1/2 miles pr.ga. but who cares right
WATCH your head going down in the cabin
Lots of Leaks
i wish i had more time now just Search Boatman you will see all the suff

Any Boat A Good Boat
Some just cost more
86 2850 twins 275
Lake ST.Clair MI.

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 30 Jan 2010 19:53 #44

• 88fourwinns
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 212
Oh boy I'm not sure what I can add here but having done a deck replacement on an old boat unless you have done wood and glass work before it's not something that is a quick job...time consuming but not terribly difficult...the first thing I'd do is check the condition of the structure (decking...transom...engine mounts...etc) If you don't have major problems in these areas...the restoration will take time but you can make the boat mechanically useable first and then tackle the cosmetics as funds allow...but if you find a rotted transom or deck or stringers...well wander over to the resto forum at www.iboats.com and look at some of the projects there to determine if you're up for that. I replaced all the seats and front cushions in my 88 FW bowrider and that job all by itself was over a grand by the the time I was done (and I did the installation myself but bought the seating...the bow cushions were done by a local shop).

If you do decide to get into glass work be sure to invest in good safety equipment like the proper goggles...respirator...tyvec suits and gloves...you do NOT want to inhald 'glass dust from cutting and grinding....and some people are very sensitive to the resins used in 'glass work...so be careful...
I'd rather swap 5 engines or do 20 brake jobs than do any major glass work...

88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 30 Jan 2010 23:19 #45

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Boatman;412484 wrote: I just Love the old gail
Going on 7 years now
Well its gets about 1-1/2 miles pr.ga. but who cares right
WATCH your head going down in the cabin
Lots of Leaks
i wish i had more time now just Search Boatman you will see all the suff

Hey Boatman, what kind of performance are you getting out of your twin 5.0s? For example:

What RPMs does it plane at?
What top speed do you see?
What is your crusing RPM?

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Questions reguarding a 1987 Ciera 31 Jan 2010 11:34 #46

• Boatman
What RPMs does it plane at?

its a little dif. from time to time but i like to start out a little slower
taking it up to max hall speed then open them up Yeeee Haaaaa
Sorry i got a little work up there anyway's i do it all by feel
But i would say 4500

What top speed do you see?

i havent WOT in years have to be nice to the twins but 38mph wot

What is your crusing RPM?

i think it about 2800
Mike H

Any Boat A Good Boat
Some just cost more
86 2850 twins 275
Lake ST.Clair MI.
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds