Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2010 Bayliner impressions

2010 Bayliner impressions 27 Jan 2010 02:08 #26

• jim.smithjr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6

LakeTravis;410755 wrote: Ah...but Matt, you're using your head. And the fact is that a large number of boat purchases are purely emotional decisions.

Matt will lose his head somewhere along the way...did you see the word "fiancee" in his last message? He's lost it once, the second time is only a timing issue now! So go buy a boat, Matt, and quit whining. Spring is close..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jim & Pam Smith
2016 Polar Craft 1670, Evinrude 15 HP outboard, Auto boat loader on Ford Explorer
Past Commodore, Lake Diefenbaker Yacht Club
Commander (1991 Charter & Current), Saskatchewan Power & Sail Squadron

2010 Bayliner impressions 27 Jan 2010 03:01 #27

• Marine One
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
This whole thread reinforces to me something I've thought all along, which is that I'll probably never buy a brand new boat. For me, the initial depreciation is just too steep. That's before we talk about these out of control prices.

Perseverance
1999 Ciera 2855
Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III
"Freedom Is Not Free"
an Nasiriyah, Iraq 3-23-2003

2010 Bayliner impressions 27 Jan 2010 03:18 #28

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

Marine One;410818 wrote: This whole thread reinforces to me something I've thought all along, which is that I'll probably never buy a brand new boat. For me, the initial depreciation is just too steep. That's before we talk about these out of control prices.

Unless you plan to or end up keeping the boat a long time. I've had mine now going on 11 years. I know how it has been used and how good or bad the maintainance has been. Would I ever like to get a bigger boat, yep but it probably will not happen.

I'm glad I bought new in this instance. I figured at the time it would be my last boat and unless I hit the lottery it will be.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

2010 Bayliner impressions 27 Jan 2010 04:56 #29

• kthoennes
My wife and I make over six figures too, but we'd never buy a brand new boat or a new car in a million years. Makes absolutely no financial sense. Just because you have a little money to spare doesn't mean you light a match and set fire to it for no good reason.

1995 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 1952 (the little boat)
1983 Carver 32 Aft Cabin (the big boat)
Lewis & Clark Marina, Yankton, South Dakota

2010 Bayliner impressions 27 Jan 2010 05:00 #30

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

kthoennes;410879 wrote: My wife and I make over six figures too, but we'd never buy a brand new boat or a new car in a million years. Makes absolutely no financial sense. Just because you have a little money to spare doesn't mean you light a match and set fire to it for no good reason.

Whatever works best for you is more than fine by me. What works best for me is fine by me also.:D

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

2010 Bayliner impressions 27 Jan 2010 13:47 #31

• BrianM

RGrew176;410881 wrote: Whatever works best for you is more than fine by me. What works best for me is fine by me also.:D

Agee with Rick. To each his own. I always buy new cars or boats. Realize I eat some depreciation but I don't have to mess fixing other peoples problems. Plus, I like the smell of new, look of new and warranty period. Just MY preference!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian
Southern California
2008 Maxum 1900 SR3, 4.3V-6, Alpha 1

2010 Bayliner impressions 27 Jan 2010 16:51 #32

• Insteada
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
We were looking to get into boating for about three years. We own a small business and as you can imagine the economy wasn't making our decision any easier, but really the biggest hold up was the type of boat we wanted and then of course the $$. Here in the St. Charles/St. Louis area you really have three boating options. 1. Keep the boat on the Mississippi (which is only 25 minutes from home to water) 2. Keep the boat at the Lake of the Ozarks (almost 4 hourse from home to the water) or 3. Trailer (who knows). If we were going to do the lake option, we would have bought something that we could sleep on so that we wouldn't have additional expenses, and if we were going to do the river we decided we could get into it with a nice bowrider since we could sleep in our own beds. We chose the river and at that point the market was set. Once we knew that we were looking at a BR we realized that there were many out there that were "new" a few years ago and the dealers weren't able to sell them. That make sense to us. Get the warranty, get new but not have to pay a fortune. We paid $26k for our 2007 245 br that was brand new and it came with a custom ez loader trailer and we got them to throw in a custom cover for the bow and cockpit as well. We felt good about our deal and have a very small payment every month that we feel comfortable with.

Keith
Boat-less currently looking for next boat
2007 245 Bowrider - Insteada - Sold 2014
"Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat" - Sartre

2010 Bayliner impressions 27 Jan 2010 17:11 #33

• Download_Complete
  • Download_Complete's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 552
Agreed. I think used is the way to go, provided you can find a configuration you can be happy with.

Thats a tall order for me. :(

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2010 Bayliner impressions 28 Jan 2010 05:32 #34

BrianM;410934 wrote: Agee with Rick. To each his own. I always buy new cars or boats. Realize I eat some depreciation but I don't have to mess fixing other peoples problems. Plus, I like the smell of new, look of new and warranty period. Just MY preference!

This is true for me with cars, which IMO have less depreciation and... here's the kicker, are something I use DAILY and are more or a need than a want. A boat? That's a toy all the way.

It's not a far cry to say one could replace both engines at marina prices with the way boat depreciation is after 5 years. As you say though, to each his own.

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds