Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marine TV Antenna (NEW)

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 19:18 #1

• Buckaneer
  • Buckaneer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I have the new Digital TV, Now I need a digital antenna so it will work. I looked online at a few of the Marine Supply Shops..... They have marine Ants. but cant see any info for the digital TV's and what works with them. Read some reviews... and people said the OLD Antennas will not work....

Anyone have any info about who sells them?? And what is good?

BUCKANEER
:arr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1987 *3270*
T/5.7's I/B

Port of Red Wing, Minn

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 19:21 #2

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

Buckaneer;407691 wrote: ... and people said the OLD Antennas will not work....

Those people were wrong. Your antenna can't tell the difference between an analogue and a digital signal.

Buckaneer;407691 wrote: And what is good?:arr

That's a whole different question, and you'll get some wide-ranging opinions here. The very best reception I've seen so far was on a home-made Hooverman that was constructed by my cruising friend on the boat one afternoon using a scrap of drifting plywood and old coat hangers. It was no bigger than a hard cover text book.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 20:15 #3

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
+1

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 20:25 #4

• Buckaneer
This is from West Marine......

SEAWATCH TV ANTENNA 2025

Submitted by Al
Date Reviewed: 2008-05-30 21:25:34
Strengths: None
Weaknesses: This system will not work with the newer TV's that have a digital tuner.
Review Summary: My rabbit ears connected to the AUX input will get all local channels in DTV, HD, as well as Standard Def programming. This system should not be sold anymore until it is fixed and compatible with the newer TVs. A call to the manufacturer confirmed that it won't work with the digital TV. It does provide improved signal strength for the older analog TVs that are also on the boat. My advice is don't buy this antenna.
Overall Rating:

BUCKANEER

1987 *3270*
T/5.7's I/B

Port of Red Wing, Minn

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 20:32 #5

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Buckaneer;407724 wrote: This is from West Marine......

SEAWATCH TV ANTENNA 2025

Submitted by Al
Date Reviewed: 2008-05-30 21:25:34
Strengths: None
Weaknesses: This system will not work with the newer TV's that have a digital tuner.
Review Summary: My rabbit ears connected to the AUX input will get all local channels in DTV, HD, as well as Standard Def programming. This system should not be sold anymore until it is fixed and compatible with the newer TVs. A call to the manufacturer confirmed that it won't work with the digital TV. It does provide improved signal strength for the older analog TVs that are also on the boat. My advice is don't buy this antenna.
Overall Rating:

BUCKANEER

To be precise, that's not from West Marine but rather from some random guy providing his own comment/advice.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 20:35 #6

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This is from Shakespeare - the manufacturer

SeaWatch® Style 2025
Off-air TV

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You get plenty of choices with the omnidirectional SeaWatch® 2025 Marine TV antenna system. Its sophisticated design lets you adjust its amplification for best picture quality. Crank up the Gain to a full +20dB where the stations are weak, or attenuate -10dB where the signals are strong. A convenient knob on its control panel makes adjustment easy. The panel offers a wide choice of mounting options. You can flush mount it, surface mount it, or attach it to the set-top. You choose!
The Style 2025’s antenna head is as mechanically advanced as its controller. Simply clamp it onto any 1in diameter pipe, extension mast, or straight mount. As an added convenience, this sleek and stylish Marine TV antenna also provides an Auxiliary Input for Cable or Satellite. When the 2025 is turned off, the auxiliary input is automatically connected to the TV. This unique and handy feature eliminates the external A/B switches required by other systems.
The 2025 comes complete with AC wall Adapter, 30 feet of ultra low loss RG-59 coax and gold-plated, screw-on F-type connectors.
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Omnidirectional antennas capture VHF, UHF, and FM from every point of the compass without aiming the antenna. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14-inch diameter [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pass-through Auxiliary Input [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]110vAC or 12/24 DC power - wall adapter included [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Innovative, dual-amplification design with Auxiliary Input for cable and satellite systems [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adjustable Gain Control for best reception [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LED Power Indicators on both the Control Box and the Antenna Head [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Digital HDTV ready . (emphasis added by me)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cable and Satellite support requires appropriate hardware and programming from a service provider. [/FONT]

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 21:25 #7

• Buckaneer
Thanks Mike..... I just read the part what the guy wrote and part of the info.. then started to read about others.....

THANKS AGAIN!

BUCKANEER

1987 *3270*
T/5.7's I/B

Port of Red Wing, Minn

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 21:54 #8

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Digital and Analog antennas are the same thing mike is right. They will sometimes use that as a gimik to sell an antenna for more $$$

Its complete bs, they jsut recieve the signal, the TV is what will understand the difference :)

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 20 Jan 2010 23:40 #9

• captharv
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
I have been in TV, video and audio since General Electric was a seargent. I was a Braodcast Engineer for a while , and designed TV antennas for a major electronics accessory manufacturer for 10 years There are no such animals as analog or digital antennas.
The signals which go thru the air are radiated--RF or radio frequency.
It goes thru the tuner which converts it to an intermediate frequency. The it goes to a detector which is analog or digital. Again, there is no such animal as a digital antenna.

The references to "digital antenna", "digital ready" "digital compatable" are noting but marketing hype. We even put that on the boxed of my designs, simply because everyone else was doing it, and catering to the comsumer who did not know better.
I like the Shaesphere 2030. Best bang for the buck. Also called the "amplified Metrostar" by Winegard (who, incidently, supplies shakesphere antennas).
They were the main competitor who my maketing guys said I had to beat...

I am using an antenna I designed back before the digital thing came about on a digital tuner TV in the boat. At Huntoon Island marina last weekend, I let the TV search and got 39 channels on digital, and 3 on analog (low power ethnic stations do not have to convert to digital, yet).

Captharv 2001 2452
"When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 21 Jan 2010 01:17 #10

• captgeorge
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
If you have electronic fuel injection you need to use digital gas, or buy my digital gas additive. Only 29.99 plus shipping! Stock up today. Save your electrons!

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 21 Jan 2010 13:39 #11

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
captharv is right on. RF is RF..the antenna must be tuned to the correct frequency range.

I have experimented with several tv antenna designs for my boat and the Hooverman-Gray worked the best for me so far.

On an island in Thousand Islands I had over 20 channels.

Larry

Larry

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 22 Jan 2010 00:32 #12

• 30 below
I went online typed in "100 mile TV antenna" paid $49 . mounted it on my radar arch . I get 7-8 crystal clear channels. It came with wireless remote. it's not bad looking and works with my flat screen digital TV. I am on the upper mississippi and thought I would be lucky to pick up even one channel. I know some think it's trawler trashy but it works for me.

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 22 Jan 2010 04:00 #13

• Tommyfmu
Here's an antenna I bought through Ebay that works great in tuning in digital signals with one of those gov't tv boxes that were being given away last Spring when broadcaster went from analog to digital. I'm planning on mounting this right onto my radio antenna.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 23 Jan 2010 16:45 #14

• Boatman
  • Thank you received: 7

Any Boat A Good Boat
Some just cost more
86 2850 twins 275
Lake ST.Clair MI.

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 26 Jan 2010 20:23 #15

• Buckaneer
Thanks guys for all the help.... I just made an order for the 2030.. And the price was right! under $110.00 with the shipping......:)

BUCKANEER

1987 *3270*
T/5.7's I/B

Port of Red Wing, Minn

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 26 Jan 2010 21:22 #16

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54

Buckaneer;410621 wrote: Thanks guys for all the help.... I just made an order for the 2030.. And the price was right! under $110.00 with the shipping......:)

BUCKANEER

I am at Treasure Island and have a digital TV and a Sea watch Antenna. I used to get all the channels and once they changed I only got the ed. 4,5 and 29. When they switched, they sent a weaker signal and Digital is line of site. If you have trees in the way or taller boat, you may have a problem. Right across from in on B dock, same set up, he gets every channel. I have a few trees in the way. I understand 9 and 11 are increasing their strength. If so that should help

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 26 Jan 2010 22:14 #17

• Buckaneer
I had the same (2030) on our houseboat in Red Wing... But did not have a Dig. TV back then... I hope this works OK, if not I can put a REAL Ant. up on the spud pole next to my slip....

Are all the slips sold at Treasure Island?

BUCKANEER

1987 *3270*
T/5.7's I/B

Port of Red Wing, Minn

Marine TV Antenna (NEW) 26 Jan 2010 22:54 #18

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54

Buckaneer;410670 wrote: I had the same (2030) on our houseboat in Red Wing... But did not have a Dig. TV back then... I hope this works OK, if not I can put a REAL Ant. up on the spud pole next to my slip....

Are all the slips sold at Treasure Island?

BUCKANEER

No and we really enjoy it there. I think I pay around 2500.00. I looked at a lot of places. Lots to do. If you get bored it is your fault. If you want contact info, PM me.

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
“The truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds