• Page:

TOPIC: New river boater looking for advice

New river boater looking for advice 21 Jan 2010 15:33 #26

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253
Another thing that is becoming clear - without solid local knowledge, running at night would be disasterous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

New river boater looking for advice 21 Jan 2010 15:58 #27

• Insteada
  • Insteada's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1

whiskywizard;408079 wrote: Excellent post! The admiral has instructed me to plan her Great Loop trip and this kind of info is very valuable. We carry spare props, but no spare hulls. ;)

Those 4 chevron-shaped dams downstream of Iowa Island are very disturbing. In a situation like that, would they be below mean water level? Would they be bouyed?

Actually, many of them are above water and visible, as long as the river isn't too far above flood stage. The chevrons just north of Iowa are visible. They are typically never bouyed. The greater majority of the ones that you see running through the middle of the sloughs/channels are well enough below water that they aren't impacting boating. In fact our marina is on the West side of Iowa island and we pass south over one right next to Enterprise Island on our way to the main channel. When the river levels are basically normal, that slough is about 19 feet deep until I get to that wing dam and the depth finder jumps to less than 13 feet and then goes right back. So it's about 6 feet tall and is far enough under water that it does no harm. It's when the river is up that you have an issue, because wingdams that are normally exposed can be covered and you end up with issues.

By the way, carrying a spare prop is great, but the seasoned river boaters told me to just make sure you are sporting aluminum on the river.

Keith
Boat-less currently looking for next boat
2007 245 Bowrider - Insteada - Sold 2014
"Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat" - Sartre

New river boater looking for advice 21 Jan 2010 16:12 #28

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253

Insteada;408089 wrote:
By the way, carrying a spare prop is great, but the seasoned river boaters told me to just make sure you are sporting aluminum on the river.

I'll need to rely on avoidance rather than aluminium props. They're 2' in diameter. :)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

New river boater looking for advice 21 Jan 2010 16:54 #29

• biohazard
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes mike at night if you dont know the area its dangerous.

A friend who was stupid enough to drive down the middle of the Mississippi smacked one at about 2am. Tore 2 blades off his 3 blade prop and crushed the center of it, put a hole in the leg of his outdrive. Somehow the crazy bastard still made it 5 more miles up river to the launch.

That is just stupidity though, he didn't even know what a wing damn was and really had no business on the river at night. I try to avoid going boating with him now, I dont like babysitting people and being the tow truck boat for them ;)

Ryan
Hastings, Minnesota

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Sonnie Due"
1999 Bayliner Ciera 3055
Twin Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo 2[/FONT]
MMSI : 338122217
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first.....invent the universe"
- Carl Sagan

New river boater looking for advice 29 Jan 2010 01:21 #30

• Paddlefoot
  • Thank you received: 0
I boat on pool 26 and I always say if you don't know the area, don't go there unless you see a boat your size or bigger going there. Then watch how they do it. The wing dams usually are not marked but are not in the channel either. So if you stay between the buoys you should be pretty safe. Gps isn't really necessary, but is handy if you are traveling at night. You can lay down a track in the day and follow it back in the dark. Be careful coming out of the top of Dardenne Slough as well. Stay close the Missouri side as there is a wing dam on the island side. The Power Squadron or Coastguard class is definitely worthwhile for new boaters.

1989 3670 Cruisers Inc
2000, Ciera 2855, BIII, 7.4L
1989 Ciera 2450
Mississippi River Pool 26

New river boater looking for advice 29 Jan 2010 02:47 #31

• Danny
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Mate,
Thanks for the reply. Luckily, as far as I know anyway, we don't anything like that here. Geez, I would be crapping myself running around them.

Danny.
Gold Coast, Australia.
2002 195 Sports V6
Alpha 1 Gen 2
High five 21" s/s prop
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds