Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Frozen Marina

Frozen Marina 07 Jan 2010 23:35 #1

• kennyh
  • kennyh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all

I've my 2009 245 in a fresh water marina in Scotland that has now frozen over due to a spell of exceptionaly cold weather.

My engine etc should be fine as I've fitted an automatic bilge heater which is keeping the engine room at a balmy 4C to 5C.

Question: Should I be concerned about all the inch thick ice formed round the hull (apart from around the engine bay/ stern gear which is clear of ice due to the heater). Am I likely to damage the hull with the ice?

Cheers
Kenny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frozen Marina 07 Jan 2010 23:44 #2

• Spitfire
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ice can have a serious crushing effect. If you can, I would go the the berth and try to break up the ice around the hull as much as you can. Not sure how serious 1 inch might be, but......if there is a small crack formed, and water gets in, and it freezes, the expansion will cause problems, and if the cycle continues, the crack gets worse, and worse.

It is the same problem that we have with roads here in Canada....those cracks become serious potholes.

Good luck with it

Marc
1992 3288 "Spitfire" with twin 5.8L inboards
1988 17ft Century "L'll Spitfire" with single 2.5LMercruiser

Frozen Marina 07 Jan 2010 23:47 #3

• mark2556
I would have thought it would be ok, seems like you got the main problem solved, but saying that the news says its almost as cold here as it is in the North Pole -20 owch!!

Frozen Marina 07 Jan 2010 23:49 #4

• mark2556

Spitfire;402025 wrote: Ice can have a serious crushing effect. If you can, I would go the the berth and try to break up the ice around the hull as much as you can. Not sure how serious 1 inch might be, but......if there is a small crack formed, and water gets in, and it freezes, the expansion will cause problems, and if the cycle continues, the crack gets worse, and worse.

It is the same problem that we have with roads here in Canada....those cracks become serious potholes.

Good luck with it

seems like us here in the UK are not used to the cold!!

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 00:27 #5

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Are you using the electric heat in lieu of O/B water system and engine Winterizing?

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 00:39 #6

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
Personally I would be uncomfortable with the ice. As stated, ice expands and can have a crushing effect.

Your water tank, did you treat it? Drains, I always send a small amount of the antifreeze down them as well.

Your engine, closed cooling?

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 00:52 #7

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Why not just buy a dock bubbler ?? :hammer. http://www.dockbubbler.com/

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 00:58 #8

• Spitfire
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Wayne's World;402075 wrote: Why not just buy a dock bubbler ?? :hammer. http://www.dockbubbler.com/

I was going to suggest that...you beat me to it. Getting one in the UK in time might be a problem (maybe?).

Marc
1992 3288 "Spitfire" with twin 5.8L inboards
1988 17ft Century "L'll Spitfire" with single 2.5LMercruiser

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 04:46 #9

• The Other Gary
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
An inch of ice is no big deal, a foot of ice freezeing and thawing repeadedly will put pressure on the hull.
Hope your power stays on.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 09:19 #10

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Christ, they're boats, not potted plants! If you don't have it already, put a little heat in the boat's cabin just to keep the hull a little warm. I routinely have six or eight inches of ice/slush/snow around mine for long periods in winter but there's always a little gap right around the hull so long as there's some heat in the boat.

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 13:45 #11

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35

ChancesAre;402209 wrote: Christ, they're boats, not potted plants! If you don't have it already, put a little heat in the boat's cabin just to keep the hull a little warm. I routinely have six or eight inches of ice/slush/snow around mine for long periods in winter but there's always a little gap right around the hull so long as there's some heat in the boat.

As long as there is a gap at the hull...no issue...but if the ice moves up and down against the hull it will cut into the F/G so if you have ice...then open water that can have wave action....or when the ice starts to break up......you could have a problem. I'm not sure about only an inch.....if that is a concern or not.....certainly you need more for the crushing action to be an issue.

Another issue is the internal water system...fresh water..sink trap...shower if any....these will freeze up sooner than the engine.

Larry

Larry

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 13:52 #12

• JohnL
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Seldom have ice in our marina, almost never in fact. So the only thing I can add is that when we did have a thin layer of ice a few years ago, the only "damage" was that it scraped off the bottom paint at the waterline.

Blue Highways
93 2452

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 17:36 #13

• kennyh
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I have already drained the water tank & water heater, and poured RV anti-freeze into the head.

I've 2 low-wattage heaters in the cabin, 1 automatic bilge heater, a GSM alarm system that monitors the temperature in the engine bay (which then sends me a SMS message if the temperate drops below 3C), and it also monitors the battery voltage and mains power. If it's unhappy it shouts (SMS and/or phone call). It also send me a daily SMS to say "I'm OK and still working!"

So, worst case should be that the power fails, and I'll then get an SMS to advise that I should get up there and do something about it (I'm a 20 mins drive from the marina).

The engine has not been winterised as I have been using it during the winter so far, and thus running the engine every so often.

I know it's a gamble, but I think I've taken enough precautions and steps to alert me before any engine damage.

The only thing of course is the ice coverage in the marina, and hence the question re damage to gelcoat etc.

Cheers
Kenny.

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 18:52 #14

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
Kenny, It sounds like you have taken many steps to prevent harm to your boat. As Wayne suggested, you can get a machine that creates current around the hull of the boat. Water flow will keep the ice at bay, or heat the cabin so the ambient temperature around the boat is above 32 F/0 C. Personally I would do one or the other. It would be a small investment vs. the cost of repairing your hull.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 19:19 #15

• Robbie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Kenny,

Don't worry - there is nothing more you can do anyway.You have heat in the boat. Your boat is in the water which has a insulating effect. I don't know if your boat is moored at a floating finger pier but if it is you most probably don't have any wind at present with the high pressure weather system but when you get a little bit of wind the boat will move around and keep the ice away from the hull.
1" of ice is not going to cause you squeeze on the hull.When you do start to get wind it will change your current weather to more warmer temperature anyway.

We have had -11 to -15°C (10-15°F) for about 2 weeks now I checked my boat last night and all is OK. (I have a little heater in the engine room which once the weather warms up I will move to the cabin to take out any dampness. ). Because of the heat in the engine room I haven't even drained the block on the salt water side. A lot of the guys Stateside worry about power cuts which seem to be common place but here and I think in Scotland they are rare.

If you want some good advice on cold weather conditions and what your boat can put up with always read posts from Chancesare. He's the best with advice on that subject.

Frozen Marina 08 Jan 2010 20:26 #16

• Honeybee
Kenny,

Need to catch up with you soon to talk about this automatic text/call gadget you have, sounds good. I have got 2 tube heaters fitted into the engine area which is keeping the chill of nicely, however, I got Colin to drain the engine today as extra precaution.

Hopefully see you soon.

Chris

Mariner 16 "Ticketyboo"
Bayliner 192 3.0l "Honeybee"
Bayliner 285 5.7l V8 "Honeybee"

Frozen Marina 10 Jan 2010 00:42 #17

• kennyh
Hi Chris

I got the GSM device from a company in Lithuania via eBay. Fantastic bit of kit. Means I don't have to worry about loads of things such as temperature, power, or whether someone has entered the cabin; as it's now all covered by the alarm system.

I'll show you what I've done next time your up (and I'm there too).

Cheers
Kenny

Frozen Marina 10 Jan 2010 01:19 #18

• MikeM8560
id be more worried about the lake breaking up with wind and the ice pack headed for your hull Ive seen sheet of ice cross roads on lakes when i was in New England from the wind.

Frozen Marina 10 Jan 2010 01:25 #19

• MikeM8560
id be more worried about the lake breaking up with wind and the ice pack headed for your hull Ive seen sheet of ice cross roads on lake when i was in New England from the wind.

Frozen Marina 10 Jan 2010 09:33 #20

• Honeybee
Cheers kenny,hope to see you soon. Next time I will be up is next sunday

Mariner 16 "Ticketyboo"
Bayliner 192 3.0l "Honeybee"
Bayliner 285 5.7l V8 "Honeybee"

Frozen Marina 10 Jan 2010 11:15 #21

• ILGVARS
  • Riga ; Latvia
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello Kennyh,
can you send address for Lithuanian company for device ?

ILGVARS
" DREAM CHASER "
1999 BAYLINER CIERA 2452
Hyundai SeasAll S 270 S diesel
BRAVO II X SSP
2016 VOLVO XC 90
www.hct.lv

Frozen Marina 10 Jan 2010 22:16 #22

• kennyh
Have a look at the manufacturer's website here:

http://www.topkodas.lt/

I bought the module (GT Auto) from them via eBay. - Highly recommended (my own personal opinion of course).

Cheers
Kenny

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds