Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Non Honda Portable Genny Owners

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 05 Jan 2010 15:39 #51

• norman52
  • Thank you received: 0

BLCarl;400131 wrote: One dealer told me that the Yamaha 2K has iron cylinder liner as oposed to the Honda's aluminum. Long term heavy users might get some benifit from longer lifespan perhaps easier rebuild. Both 1K units have aluminum cylinders.

FYI

Mercedes and Porsche use aluminum for their cylinder walls. I don't think the wall type will make it a duribility issue. Either one is fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1997 Bayliner 2355
5.7 and Alpha 1
Dagmar's Marina
180 hours and slowly going up.:arr

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 05 Jan 2010 23:44 #52

• Nehalennia
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9

SwampNut;399616 wrote: All Power = Kippor as far as the manufacturer, but the repair and warranty is run differently. They both suck.

Are you saying the Honeywell and Kipor have the same manufacturer?

BTW< Honda now has a new(been out for a yr) "companion" model that has the 30A type locking receptacle. It only produces 15A though unless linked to another Honda 2000. Also you lose the DC charging feature.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 06 Jan 2010 02:21 #53

• 2651 got fun?
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

norman52;400776 wrote: Mercedes and Porsche use aluminum for their cylinder walls. I don't think the wall type will make it a durability issue. Either one is fine.

it's more than just aluminum ,, they are specially coated ,, the reason for this is it keeps similar metals in contact for expansion contraction and has great friction reducing qualities ,,
but they damage easier and rebuilding isn't as simple as an overbore , hone or sleeve replacement

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 06 Jan 2010 02:52 #54

• RGrew176
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
tbear,

Have you been able to make a decision yet?

One of the reasons I went with a 2000 watt genny was so I could also use it at home. I have used my genny several times to keep power to needed systems when my power has gone out.

As Tim Taylor used to say, "more power".

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 06 Jan 2010 03:37 #55

• tbear
  • tbear's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3

RGrew176;401164 wrote: tbear,

Have you been able to make a decision yet?

One of the reasons I went with a 2000 watt genny was so I could also use it at home. I have used my genny several times to keep power to needed systems when my power has gone out.

As Tim Taylor used to say, "more power".

I was letting some more info in before I posted back. Lots of folks posting great info about non-Hondas.
Seriously thinking about a 2000W. Kipor if I go new, Honda if I can find a used one on CL. I need to do some more research on Kipor. I didn't put it on my radar when I started comparisons.
I can easily get away with a 1000W. Minimal power needs. But like you wrote, off-season backup is nice. Alot will depend on the deal at the time. I didn't think I'd own a Cobalt, either. ;)

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 06 Jan 2010 03:58 #56

• MikeM8560

captharv;400531 wrote: I use an EU2000 to run the air, battery charger and fridge overnight at anchor. With it in the swim platform or on the rear deck facing out thru the walk-thru, you can't really hear it in the cabin. Actually, the air conditioner's air handler (FAN) is louder than the genny in the cabin.
Sometimes, we put the genny on the bow deck, as when we are in large raft up ( the others do also). I made a platform to hold it over the anchor roller and cleat. When up there, conversation in the cockpit is in normal voices.
Its now 7 years old and all I have done is routine maintenance: change oil, and plug once a year.
BTW, it ran 48 hrs straight for each of 3 hurricanes in '04.
It ran 2 refrigerators, 2 computers, and various fans and lights. It used exactly 6 gallons each time (econothrottle on). Thats 1/8 GPH! And, the killer: A neighbor came ove and asked me "how come you got lights and we don't?. He could not hear it running until i took him in the back yard. I guess all the Coleman gennys drowned it out......

As I stated in my post above, look into the warranty service stations and parts for WHATEVER you buy. That is, unless you consider it cheap enough to be a throwaway.

Just wondering do you hook it up to your breakerbox when useing in your house? ive got the 2000 also. Lucky me i still had power after Charley came through town. Probly the closest house to the total devastation that still had power, with underground powerlines at my home. but next time i may not be so lucky if she shifted a mile the other way.

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 06 Jan 2010 04:48 #57

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

MikeM8560;401205 wrote: Just wondering do you hook it up to your breakerbox when useing in your house? ive got the 2000 also. Lucky me i still had power after Charley came through town. Probly the closest house to the total devastation that still had power, with underground powerlines at my home. but next time i may not be so lucky if she shifted a mile the other way.

A thread on the topic a few years ago..... http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2617&highlight=generator

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 06 Jan 2010 13:49 #58

• wvboater
  • Thank you received: 4
I own both a Honda 2000 and a Kipor 3000. Have not had a problem with either one and during power outages they run side by side using extension cords into the house to keep the necessities of life powered up. The Honda 2000 will run everyhting on our 245 (not at the same time however), the Kipor is used primarily for our 5th wheel. Tbear, there is a Kipor dealership and service center in Ohio: Ohiokipor.com where you can see the specs for the Kipor's. Before I am subject to excessive bashing, I am not recommending the Kipor over the Honda, just stating my experience with both. Good luck with your decision.
WVboater

"GLORY BOUND"

2007 245, 5.0 Alpha 1
2009 (new in 2011) Seadoo RXT-215
Two little itty-bitty ride on top kayaks!
Land Travel accomplished with 2007 3500 CC D/A DRW Chevrolet Silverado

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 06 Jan 2010 15:21 #59

• norman52
I bought my EU2000 for $750 used off of Craigslist. I waited until we had a big storm and lots of people were running around buying generators and then when the storm was over I hit Craigslist to see who was unloading them.
Mine was never even used. The owner paid $975+tax to be prepared and 10 days later it was mine for $750 still in the box with the original receipt.
Something to think about. Winter is here, storms are just around the corner.

1997 Bayliner 2355
5.7 and Alpha 1
Dagmar's Marina
180 hours and slowly going up.:arr

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 07 Jan 2010 00:22 #60

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215

Are you saying the Honeywell and Kipor have the same manufacturer?

Er, no, I said All Power and Kippor are the same. Mine had the All Power name but they told me I could try calling Kippor directly for the part since they were out of stock. They also were out of stock. That's when I bought a Honda.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 07 Jan 2010 00:56 #61

• ChrisR
Wow, lots of responses... That's nice. I have a 1000 watt Honda for home as a back up and camping and I always wish I had a little more. They work very hard at times.

Caution tho, if you buy used, you may find a good deal on one but if the previous owner didn't change the oil at a decent interval, you may wish you bought a new one. Just one good hard winter w/o changes and it's lost lots of it's life. I think they suggest every 10 hours.

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 07 Jan 2010 01:34 #62

• BLCarl
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
One thing to consider is where are the off brand parts and service comming from in the next years? If we take care of and use it lightly it could be years before they need anything. Then what? I'm sure the big guys will be someplace near. But if we paid 1/3 the cost, just junk it and get another one. The choice I have to make is to live without one for a while or buy the inexpensive model. Hondas and Yamahas are quieter also. A big + for me but even that might be worked around in my situation.

Another important point is the size. I have a place to store the 1K. A 1K is 100% better than batteries and running the engine often to keep them charged. If I have to choose which appliance to run first I don't have a problem with it. If I were to have to walk around and over it continuously I'd mostly leave it at home.

Carl

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 07 Jan 2010 03:10 #63

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

wvboater;401292 wrote: I own both a Honda 2000 and a Kipor 3000. Have not had a problem with either one and during power outages they run side by side using extension cords into the house to keep the necessities of life powered up. The Honda 2000 will run everyhting on our 245 (not at the same time however), the Kipor is used primarily for our 5th wheel. Tbear, there is a Kipor dealership and service center in Ohio: Ohiokipor.com where you can see the specs for the Kipor's. Before I am subject to excessive bashing, I am not recommending the Kipor over the Honda, just stating my experience with both. Good luck with your decision.
WVboater

Thanks for the info.

norman52;401316 wrote: I bought my EU2000 for $750 used off of Craigslist. I waited until we had a big storm and lots of people were running around buying generators and then when the storm was over I hit Craigslist to see who was unloading them.
Mine was never even used. The owner paid $975+tax to be prepared and 10 days later it was mine for $750 still in the box with the original receipt.
Something to think about. WIntrer is here, storms are just around the corner.

Good call. I'll keep an eye out. We're expecting 12 inches tomorrow. :o

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 10 Jan 2010 23:15 #64

• BLCarl
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I just ran across a site that sells Subaru 1,700 Watt Portable generators for $1000 .Has anyone had any expirence with this unit? The specs are interesting. 1700 w might be enough to fit most needs. If I could store is laying on it's side it would fit in my storage area.I didn't see anything in the online manual but I wouldn't think it would be a good idea unless it had a fuel shut off valve, even then the oil would end up in the wrong places.

Carl

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 11 Jan 2010 00:09 #65

• RGrew176
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

BLCarl;403397 wrote: I just ran across a site that sells Subaru 1,700 Watt Portable generators for $1000 .Has anyone had any expirence with this unit? The specs are interesting. 1700 w might be enough to fit most needs. If I could store is laying on it's side it would fit in my storage area.I didn't see anything in the online manual but I wouldn't think it would be a good idea unless it had a fuel shut off valve, even then the oil would end up in the wrong places.

That is a higher price than a Honda Eu2000i would cost. Subaru does tend to build a pretty good product.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 11 Jan 2010 03:22 #66

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215
Yeah, paying extra for a brand with less dealer support? Don't see why you'd do that.

Do NOT lay a generator on its side unless the manufacturer specifically tells you which side. There are multiple problems with this aside from the obvious oil/fuel spill. If oil lays against the oil control ring on the piston for a while, it will seep through, contaminating the combustion chamber, valves, and spark plug or possibly causing hydrolock. The carb could leak fuel into the combustion chamber which would remove the oil film from the cylinder, could seep down into the oil, and can also cause hydrolock.

My Kippor fell over accidentally once and it puked oil and gas all over the place.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 11 Jan 2010 16:08 #67

• sea-cruisier

Wayne's World;399465 wrote: My fake 1000w honda is just as quiet as the real honda :arr. I paid $224 for it from ebay. Its going on 3yrs and runs great :)

It s a bit bigger and uglier (green). Its definitely run louder than rated but positioning and eliminating vibration might change mind.

Dont use it much so its good enough for my purposes.

Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds