Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Non Honda Portable Genny Owners

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 20:03 #26

• BLCarl
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2

706jim;399562 wrote: I used to tell people that when you buy an 800 watt inverter, you immediately made up a list of what it won't run. The same thing goes for a 1000 watt Honda. In my case, I'm quite happy living with its limitations simply because of the weight. It will happily run my on board charger at idle speed (charger is around 200 watts according to mfg) and a space heater running at 600 watts will not overload the unit. The cabin in my 246 is a fairly small volume and at 600 watts, the chill is off in a few minutes, even running the heater at this reduced output setting.

If you buy an off-brand generator and post on these forums, you have your work cut out for you, convincing other posters that your unit is any good (even if it IS!)

It's sort of like installing a 600hp engine in an old Corvette. It might be just as fast as a 2009 model, but in a discussion at the local bar, you have to CONVINCE the person that you're arguing with that your car is as fast as the new one. After all, how many new Corvette owners actually drive their car up to 200 mph when they can just brag about it because some car magazine has tested it on a track?

What about the noise factor.
I for me the limited output it just a minor inconvienance. Charging my house batteries for a few hours is the goal, the microwave is a bonus but living with a lawnmower running in the boat breaks the natual mood of things . Is yours quiet enough to sit nearby for a few hours? If it is I'll take another look. For me a $400 generator can be had, a $1300 honda is out of reach at the moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carl

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 20:14 #27

• riccon
  • Thank you received: 0
Our Pamida store here in town has a 2000W on sale now for $199.99 I don't remember the brand name but for $200.00 and a year warranty not too bad IMO ....I have an old Coleman PM 1500W that's been used for everything under the sun and it still starts with the 2nd or 3rd pull....it looks tough but still works, I just keep it tuned up and it's provided us with power during storms to keep the furnace and a few lights on... it's not always about BRAND names...

Rick & Connie
Northeast Nebraska, USA
1988 2655 Ciera Sunbridge
460 OMC King Cobra
"Pacifier"

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 20:37 #28

• KB&Jinthewater

Nehalennia;399561 wrote: I like the Costco return policy.

If you get a Honda no need to worry about return policy! I have a 3000i that I paid dearly for when they first came out but have had zero problems and it will run my entire rv heat a/c and microwave. Get what will do the job for ya and is in correct price range

Kevin

Yes it is better not to watch from the shore:D

00 Sea Fox 230 walkaround
08 Redline Toyhauler
08 Polaris Ranger 700 xp
THE FAMILY THAT PLAYS TOGETHER
STAYS TOGETHER

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 20:46 #29

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215
All Power = Kippor as far as the manufacturer, but the repair and warranty is run differently. They both suck.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 20:50 #30

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh, and the Kippor/All Power generators with the same rating DO NOT put out the same amount of power. Having switched from one of those to a Honda, I have direct experience with just how much better the Honda is all around, including load ability. I wouldn't expect a 1k Kippor to support a 1k load.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 23:51 #31

• 706jim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62

BLCarl;399605 wrote: What about the noise factor.
I for me the limited output it just a minor inconvienance. Charging my house batteries for a few hours is the goal, the microwave is a bonus but living with a lawnmower running in the boat breaks the natual mood of things . Is yours quiet enough to sit nearby for a few hours? If it is I'll take another look. For me a $400 generator can be had, a $1300 honda is out of reach at the moment.

The small Honda is VERY quiet. My 246 has the manufacturer's installed charger and the Honda will run it at idle when charging the batteries. The charger only needs 200 or 300 watts to operate.
The Honda will also run the microwave that came with the boat, or the electric range. (one item at a time, obviously)
I happily live with the 1000 watt output because of the portability of this unit. I keep it in a duffle bag and store it in various unrecommended locations in the boat. At 28 lb, it's easy to retrieve when we want to use it.
If you can handle the extra cost and weight, the Honda 2000 seems to be the most popular unit on this forum.

2007 Discovery 246
300mpi BIII
Welcome island Lake Superior

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 03 Jan 2010 00:55 #32

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

SwampNut;399617 wrote: Oh, and the Kippor/All Power generators with the same rating DO NOT put out the same amount of power. Having switched from one of those to a Honda, I have direct experience with just how much better the Honda is all around, including load ability. I wouldn't expect a 1k Kippor to support a 1k load.

Agreed. I noticed the TQ 1800 I mentioned before is on sale for $399. When I had the 800W unit, it would often trip when trying to run various loads WELL under 800W, with no starting current greater than the rated load.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 03 Jan 2010 01:04 #33

• Marine One
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
FWIW, I have used the Honda 2000 to run the microwave and the air conditioner at the same time while at anchor. I just can't use the Eco feature with the A/C

Perseverance
1999 Ciera 2855
Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III
"Freedom Is Not Free"
an Nasiriyah, Iraq 3-23-2003

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 03 Jan 2010 03:36 #34

• ERICAR
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Wayne's World;399465 wrote: My fake 1000w honda is just as quiet as the real honda :arr. I paid $224 for it from ebay. Its going on 3yrs and runs great :)

:) +1, got a 3000w on e-bay, $350 with shipping, 65 lbs. no problems so far. It does not start on three pulls, but it starts every time. I got a second one for the house, I run my power tools, music, lights etc. when working out of the sheds in the back yard.

2007 Discovery 246 5.7 Bravo 3

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 03 Jan 2010 07:24 #35

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

FWIW, I have used the Honda 2000 to run the microwave and the air conditioner at the same time while at anchor. I just can't use the Eco feature with the A/C

Same here.

-Steven Weinberg

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 03 Jan 2010 10:13 #36

• 2859er
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2000, Ciera SC 2859
7.4L MPI Bravo II
MMSI# 338118874
06 Silverado LT 3500 Diesel

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 03 Jan 2010 18:25 #37

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It's directly comparable to the Honda. I have not owned one, but have talked to a few people who do, and I've heard one run. The only down-side to the Yamaha is that there are few fewer service centers and parts sources for them.

You can buy the Honda for $939, so not a big price difference.

The Yamaha is a nice marine blue though...

-Steven Weinberg

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 03 Jan 2010 21:18 #38

• 2859er
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32

SwampNut;399901 wrote: It's directly comparable to the Honda. I have not owned one, but have talked to a few people who do, and I've heard one run. The only down-side to the Yamaha is that there are few fewer service centers and parts sources for them.

You can buy the Honda for $939, so not a big price difference.

The Yamaha is a nice marine blue though...

Thanks for the info. Honda must have some agreement with its vendors that prevent them from posting the prices of their units online. It makes it difficult to find the best deals online. I would like to buy local as it saves shipping costs, but I don't want to have to run all over town either. I guess I'll have to pick up the phone and call for the prices. :(

Oh, here is a link for the Yamaha 2000 for $830.00. Ships free in the lower 48 states.
http://www.dhcsupplies.com/yamaha_ef2000is.htm?feed=Froogle

2000, Ciera SC 2859
7.4L MPI Bravo II
MMSI# 338118874
06 Silverado LT 3500 Diesel

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 03 Jan 2010 22:27 #39

• Marine One
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

2859er;399957 wrote: Thanks for the info. Honda must have some agreement with its vendors that prevent them from posting the prices of their units online. It makes it difficult to find the best deals online. I would like to buy local as it saves shipping costs, but I don't want to have to run all over town either. I guess I'll have to pick up the phone and call for the prices. :(

Call Wise and Mayberry's. Each will be happy to give you the price over the phone. Just make sure you ask about shipping charges.

Perseverance
1999 Ciera 2855
Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III
"Freedom Is Not Free"
an Nasiriyah, Iraq 3-23-2003

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 04 Jan 2010 00:29 #40

• jstefano
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 12

ronlord;399499 wrote: You will need more than 1000w unit to run a portable heater. Look at the 1800-2000 watt models. I have a 9 year old Honda 2000 in my basement that still runs like new, so I can give that unit a big thumbs up. I do believe you can still get them from mayberrys.com for around $850 with shipping.

Sorry Ron

We do use Honda 1000 to power our portable heater

and it works up to #3 postion (out of 4)... we do boating year around here in Vancovuer (except this rainy year), even stay overnight sometimes.

Jan
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bayliner Classic 2452 (year 1995)
Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 04 Jan 2010 04:40 #41

• BLCarl
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
One dealer told me that the Yamaha 2K has iron cylinder liner as oposed to the Honda's aluminum. Long term heavy users might get some benifit from longer lifespan perhaps easier rebuild. Both 1K units have aluminum cylinders.

FYI

Carl

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 04 Jan 2010 04:45 #42

• Monroe Boater
Going back to the Menards generators... Anyone using one on their boat?

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 04 Jan 2010 14:18 #43

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Honda must have some agreement with its vendors that prevent them from posting the prices of their units online.

Most name brands have a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) agreement with all of their dealers. It's their attempt at price fixing, which is illegal, but preventing people from advertising their price is not illegal. It results in games such as "add this to your cart to see the real price."

I bought mine from these guys: http://apdpowercenter.com/eu2000main.html

It was $939 at that time.

-Steven Weinberg

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 04 Jan 2010 18:44 #44

• ronlord
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

jstefano;400021 wrote: Sorry Ron

We do use Honda 1000 to power our portable heater
and it works up to #3 postion (out of 4)... we do boating year around here in Vancovuer (except this rainy year), even stay overnight sometimes.

Good deal! The little genny must be singing it's heart out when you crank the heater up, I know the 2000w is puffing pretty good when it pushes a space heater.

-Ron

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 05 Jan 2010 00:55 #45

• jstefano
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 12

ronlord;400304 wrote: Good deal! The little genny must be singing it's heart out when you crank the heater up, I know the 2000w is puffing pretty good when it pushes a space heater.

-Ron

Well, the true is if I'll use the #4 position (last one) on the heater, our Honda eU1000 will get reset... but up to #3 all is just fine.
I don't have any reason for giving a wrong info here.
eU2000 is better of course, but it will bother me on our small 2452.
eU1000 fits just fine and it does the job. Morning coffee, microwave, recharge house batteries or a little heat during winter boating. Howg!

Jan
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bayliner Classic 2452 (year 1995)
Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 05 Jan 2010 01:17 #46

• captharv
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
I use an EU2000 to run the air, battery charger and fridge overnight at anchor. With it in the swim platform or on the rear deck facing out thru the walk-thru, you can't really hear it in the cabin. Actually, the air conditioner's air handler (FAN) is louder than the genny in the cabin.
Sometimes, we put the genny on the bow deck, as when we are in large raft up ( the others do also). I made a platform to hold it over the anchor roller and cleat. When up there, conversation in the cockpit is in normal voices.
Its now 7 years old and all I have done is routine maintenance: change oil, and plug once a year.
BTW, it ran 48 hrs straight for each of 3 hurricanes in '04.
It ran 2 refrigerators, 2 computers, and various fans and lights. It used exactly 6 gallons each time (econothrottle on). Thats 1/8 GPH! And, the killer: A neighbor came ove and asked me "how come you got lights and we don't?. He could not hear it running until i took him in the back yard. I guess all the Coleman gennys drowned it out......

As I stated in my post above, look into the warranty service stations and parts for WHATEVER you buy. That is, unless you consider it cheap enough to be a throwaway.

Captharv 2001 2452
"When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 05 Jan 2010 01:22 #47

• 706jim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62

captharv;400531 wrote: I guess all the Coleman gennys drowned it out......

You're probably right!

The CHEAPEST gennys can be bought for less than $100.00

These are about 900 watts, noisy and SMELLY.

2 cycle engines.

2007 Discovery 246
300mpi BIII
Welcome island Lake Superior

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 05 Jan 2010 05:31 #48

• lokeefe
For those who are using a generator to power things that normally run from shore power (e.g., chargers, range) do you run the generator output to shore power input? Or do you have things set up to plug directly into the genny?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry
1979 Ocean Alexander Mk I
"Miss Miranda II"
MMSI: 338104815

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 05 Jan 2010 05:40 #49

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335

lokeefe;400647 wrote: For those who are using a generator to power things that normally run from shore power (e.g., chargers, range) do you run the generator output to shore power input? Or do you have things set up to plug directly into the genny?

Thanks,

Larry

If my power needs are more than the basic running the battery charger I will plug my shore power cord directly into the genny using the adapter.

If my needs are minimal I use an extention cord with the adapter plugged into my shore power inlet. It just depends on my needs at the time.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 05 Jan 2010 14:20 #50

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have a home-made cord with a shore power (L5-30) jack and standard household plug to go in the generator.

-Steven Weinberg
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds