Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Non Honda Portable Genny Owners

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 06:10 #1

• tbear
  • tbear's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm in the market, but can't afford the Honda.

I won't be powering much. Periodic electric heater, stereo, and battery recharging. Really not sure how much I'll be using it. Just would like the backup as I'm moving from the marina to a private slip with no power. Probably more anchoring overnite with the new enclosure next season.

I'm interested in Non Honda genny owners and their reccommendations.

I've read the several threads about the the Honda, but not much on others.
I've compared the 1000W "i" models of Honda vs. Honeywell, Kipor, and All Power. Weight difference is negligible. Fuel capacity .6 to .75 gallons on all.

Honda rates their db at 53-59, but I read a Honda vs Yamaha comparison test that had it as high as 67 db at 20 ft., exhaust side. And at $700-850, ouch!:prod

Honeywell was the cheapest at $400 :D
All Power next at $470
Kipor came in about $500, but I haven't gotten too crazy with pricing them out yet. Mostly just doing spec. comparisons....

Any experience with these non Honda models or others would be great, pro and con.

Thanks, Ted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 06:16 #2

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

tbear;399435 wrote: I'm in the market, but can't afford the Honda.

I won't be powering much. Periodic electric heater, stereo, and battery recharging. Really not sure how much I'll be using it. Just would like the backup as I'm moving from the marina to a private slip with no power. Probably more anchoring overnite with the new enclosure next season.

I'm interested in Non Honda genny owners and their reccommendations.

I've read the several threads about the the Honda, but not much on others.
I've compared the 1000W "i" models of Honda vs. Honeywell, Kipor, and All Power. Weight difference is negligible. Fuel capacity .6 to .75 gallons on all.

Honda rates their db at 53-59, but I read a Honda vs Yamaha comparison test that had it as high as 67 db at 20 ft., exhaust side. And at $700-850, ouch!:prod

Honeywell was the cheapest at $400 :D
All Power next at $470
Kipor came in about $500, but I haven't gotten too crazy with pricing them out yet. Mostly just doing spec. comparisons....

Any experience with these non Honda models or others would be great, pro and con.

Thanks, Ted

I'd recommend the Kipor next.

The Honeywell is LOUD. I tried a 800 or 1000W TQ which was rated the same as the Honda for $199, but it was also VERY loud compared to its rating. The 1800W TQ sells for $499. Anything other than the Honda and Yamaha are, for the most part, similar in construction and lower quality than the Honda. Engine technology has come a long way where they will all be relatively reliable units, but realize they're throw-aways if any major problems occur.

The TQ's are available at Menards. They look well-built, the cases are very high-quality plastic similar to the Honda's. I've seen them advertised as "made in the same factory" as the Honda's... definitely not the same quality unit though, although the case appears similar. I'd buy another if cost were a factor and I wanted a light-weight, small generator.

The TQ for $199/$499 are also inverter-generators like the Honda, which means cleaner power. The Honeywell just has a similar form factor, unless they have a newer model than what was out last year.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 06:20 #3

• Stratocaster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Thank you received: 25
I have a Kipor 2000i. I used it all summer with no problems. I used to have a Honda 2000i and it always started on the 1st or 2nd pull when cold. The Kipor takes 3-5 pulls to get going. When warm, both start on the 1st pull.

I found mine on Craigslist, $600 CAN, new in box, never used. A Honda here in Vancouver runs about $1500 new, $1000+ used.

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 09:30 #4

• BLCarl
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm having the same dilema. I've heard the Honeywell and the honda run. If you could use a long cord and get some distance from the honeywell I could live with It but on my 24Ft boat I couldn't for very long. If we were only runing it for a few minutes to microwave something OK but charging the batterys take time. The Yamahas are nice too but not cheap.

I'll save my cash till I can get the honda

Carl

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 10:33 #5

• tonyiiiafl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 42

BLCarl;399456 wrote: I'm having the same dilema. I've heard the Honeywell and the honda run. If you could use a long cord and get some distance from the honeywell I could live with It but on my 24Ft boat I couldn't for very long. If we were only runing it for a few minutes to microwave something OK but charging the batterys take time. The Yamahas are nice too but not cheap.

I'll save my cash till I can get the honda

I started with a Kipor, but when it needed service, I had problems with the price of repair versus the value of the unit. In other words, I could not justify a $370.00 repair on a $500.00 unit. I then bought the Honda and have had no issues. I know where you are at, as far as not spending the money now for a Honda, but there is that saying "pay me now or pay me later." Save and wait to but the Honda!

Tony, Cape Cod, MA
Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
454 Merc Cruisers inboards
"HOLODECK"
2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
www.bourneyachtclub.com

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 11:18 #6

• Roddy
  • Thank you received: 1

I won't be powering much. Periodic electric heater, stereo, and battery recharging. Really not sure how much I'll be using it. Just would like the backup as I'm moving from the marina to a private slip with no power. Probably more anchoring overnight with the new enclosure next season.

Safety is first priority.
Carbon Mon-oxide poisoning,
Do not over look fire danger with portable gen-sets exhaust temps under load can easily reach 800F! Make sure it is secured to the deck and cant vibrate, walking around the deck. Gen-sets falling over and caching fire are not common but they do occur. Bad news on a boat!
Ensure that electrical cables are of sufficient size (gage) and quality male & female plugs to prevent heating. If running a 1500 watt heater, suggest using commercial grade 12 gage extension cord, Home Depot has lots of selection.
If plugging boat into gen-set, buy a cheap voltmeter and ground fault & wiring indicator (plugs into any outlet) about $15.00 to $20.00.
Makes sure that there is no voltage between neutral and ground circuits.
Boats do not have AC grounds bonded to engines and zinc bonding circuit.
So its important for electrical safety that everything is wired correctly.

What wattage heater are you thinking using?. Good practice is not to exceed 50% of generator output for continuous duty on small gen-sets (running heater overnight).
If you power any induction motors (air conditioner, refrigerator, table saw, radial arm saw, pumps, etc) there current in-rush at start is between 3 and 10 times its rated current depending on starting circuit design and load. Running induction motors below its rated voltage will increase its current as its lags out of phase and can overheat motor. Size gen-set accordingly.
Universal motors (hand power tools, drills, skill saws etc) are not sensitive to low voltage or low starting in-rush current. They are self limiting, will just run slower and put out less power, without harm in most circumstances unless overloaded.

Now onto the good stuff!
Bought a used 3700 watt Yanmar air-cooled diesel gen-set with electric start for $700.00 from tool rental business, years ago, (have used pull start with compression release, yikes, its the last resort, but with a shot of either it will start. Its not lite or quite, so i built a plywood enclosure with air duct to the fan intake, really made it quiet(if using at 100% load don't use enclosure as afraid of over heating), weighs about 170 lbs. Has been stolen twice, but they give up after trying to drag it a few feet, thinking its a gas unit. Best thing is that it will run all night 12 hours at 50% load, using about 10 Lt's of fuel (about 2 1/2 us gal).
There are a few small diesel gen-sets kicking around. Mainly at equipment actions, used equipment places and tool rental places. Have also seen small diesel generators for sale at home depot for not that much more than same sized gas gen-sets.

Rod
2006 Trophy 1802
mmsi 316 011 566

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 11:36 #7

• Visitor
  • Visitor
My fake 1000w honda is just as quiet as the real honda :arr. I paid $224 for it from ebay. Its going on 3yrs and runs great :)

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 15:03 #8

• ronlord
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
You will need more than 1000w unit to run a portable heater. Look at the 1800-2000 watt models. I have a 9 year old Honda 2000 in my basement that still runs like new, so I can give that unit a big thumbs up. I do believe you can still get them from mayberrys.com for around $850 with shipping.

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 15:04 #9

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I'd love to see some real world decibel tests on these other gennys.
I have read reviews of the Honeywell, but no tests. 4 out of 5 stars.
The only one I've seen so far is a test between 2000 watt models of Honda and Yamaha from a camping magazine/website. Both ran 60-68 decibels depending on load and quiet run settings.

Not sure if I'd be able to fire them up and hit them with a db meter. (I could "borrow" a meter from work;)). I'd have to watch for return policies....

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 15:31 #10

• captharv
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
Before deciding find out where the warranty repair station(s) are located.
If there is one within resaonable driving distance, get that one. The shipping on a 40+# genny would be a killer.
I have a Honda 200 and am very pleased with it.

Captharv 2001 2452
"When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 15:41 #11

• MidnightSun
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
As mentioned you will need a 2000 to run a heater and 2000 is actually only 1800 continuos. I have plenty of experience with the Honda and the Kipor 2000. As for noise, I have had them running side by side with same loads, they are very similar but if you want to be fussy, the Honda is a tad quieter. I also have lots of experience with the Honda 1000 and can tell you in general the 2000 is much quieter than the 1000. Not in specs but in real life. Reason for this is lets say you run the battery charger and lets say this needs 750 watts. The poor little 1000 is racing at full throttle where the 2000 is almost at idle. In this respect they are much quieter. So much so that when my friend used to pull out his 1000 to basically charge the batteries we decided he hook up to mine as both on the 2000 was quieter and less wasteful gas wise. Do seriously consider the 2000. I know at least 3 people with Kipor 2000 units, none have had any problems at all in the last 3 year. Yes it gets bashed to $hit here on BOC but this is not my experience at all.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 15:42 #12

• joeydiver
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
About a year ago, I bought a PowerPro by Wen Power, Model 2000inv Inverter Generator, #54021, $250 on sale with a rebate at PepBoys...it was louder than the Honda, and didnt seem as solid as the Honda, but it did what it was suppossed to do for the two times I used it before I put it on Craigslist.

I sold it after I ran it next to my friends Honda. Now saving for one. So if you can live with it being a little louder, and the quality issue, they go on sale every now and then, but the store played the game of listing them in the ad, but delivering ONLY ONE to the store.

BTW, Northern Tools has this one for $329 right now:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200359066_200359066

Good Luck!

Joey

2007 Discovery 246
5.0L MPI BRAVO III
The "BAY-BEA"

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 16:12 #13

• captgeorge
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I use a honda 1000 on the pontoon boat and its very quiet. I have a 3K honda on the 26 and its quiet. Only problem with the smaller ones is fuel tank is small, so only a few hours and fill time. The 3k is over night and elect start which is very nice with the key fob start. The both start in seconds and no problems at all.

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 16:18 #14

• joeydiver
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

captgeorge;399517 wrote: I use a honda 1000 on the pontoon boat and its very quiet. I have a 3K honda on the 26 and its quiet. Only problem with the smaller ones is fuel tank is small, so only a few hours and fill time. The 3k is over night and elect start which is very nice with the key fob start. The both start in seconds and no problems at all.

Captgeorge, check this out (not my sale, BTW):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200410688430&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXI7&GUID=e00196a51250a026539276f2fdb5efa0&itemid=200410688430&ff4=263602_263622

Joey

2007 Discovery 246
5.0L MPI BRAVO III
The "BAY-BEA"

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 16:19 #15

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Oh no...... Honda vs XXX!
Can I get anything for you guys? I'd like to go to the snack bar before the line gets too long! :D

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 16:21 #16

• captgeorge
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I have seen those before problem is room.

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 16:39 #17

• Nehalennia
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Hey tBear
Check Costco out. They have the Honeywell one for $299 through Jan 3rd.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11500257&search=generator&Mo=18&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4000364&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=generator&Ntt=generator&No=7&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

Costco's write up wrote: When you are ready to go camping, tailgating or just need a portable power supply, the Honeywell HW1000i provides efficient, quiet and clean power for all your recreational needs. Producing a powerful 900 watts of power and weighing only 30 lbs., this gasoline powered unit will run 5 hours on a full tank. The HW1000i provides 120V outlet power through 1 outlet. The HW1000i is an inverter generator so it provides clean power to run high performance electronics like plasma TV's and computer equipment. For safe, clean, portable power you can take anywhere, the Honeywell HW1000i is just the right size for you.

Features:

Rated Watts: 900, Maximum Watts: 1000
Amps: 7.5 A @ 120 Volts
Engine: Type 4-Stroke, Single Cylinder, Air-Cooled, OHV
Engine cc: 53cc
Start: Recoil
Outlets: (1) 15A 120VAC (NEMA 5-15R)
Fuel Tank: .71 Gallons
Run Time: 5 Hours @ 50% Load
Frame: High Impact, Injection Molded Case
Portability: Integrated Handle
Added Features: Power Indicator Light, AC and DC Overload Protection, Efficiency Mode Switch
Dimensions: 18.1" L x 15.1" H x 9.6" W
Weight: 30 lbs
Sound Rating: (7m) 60 dB - no load, 69 dB - 75% load
Warranty: 2 Year Limited

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 17:41 #18

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Todd, Mine looks just like that one. But mine is yellow with no name on it. :)

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 17:44 #19

• Nehalennia
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9

Wayne's World;399559 wrote: Todd, Mine looks just like that one. But mine is yellow with no name on it. :)

I like the Costco return policy.

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 17:45 #20

• 706jim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62

ronlord;399499 wrote: You will need more than 1000w unit to run a portable heater.

I used to tell people that when you buy an 800 watt inverter, you immediately made up a list of what it won't run. The same thing goes for a 1000 watt Honda. In my case, I'm quite happy living with its limitations simply because of the weight. It will happily run my on board charger at idle speed (charger is around 200 watts according to mfg) and a space heater running at 600 watts will not overload the unit. The cabin in my 246 is a fairly small volume and at 600 watts, the chill is off in a few minutes, even running the heater at this reduced output setting.

If you buy an off-brand generator and post on these forums, you have your work cut out for you, convincing other posters that your unit is any good (even if it IS!)

It's sort of like installing a 600hp engine in an old Corvette. It might be just as fast as a 2009 model, but in a discussion at the local bar, you have to CONVINCE the person that you're arguing with that your car is as fast as the new one. After all, how many new Corvette owners actually drive their car up to 200 mph when they can just brag about it because some car magazine has tested it on a track?

2007 Discovery 246
300mpi BIII
Welcome island Lake Superior

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 17:57 #21

• cow50boy
has anyone ever tried onan generators. they are quiet and used in rvs and campers. any cummins shop or any camper place can get them.

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 18:10 #22

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

2850Bounty;399520 wrote: Oh no...... Honda vs XXX!
Can I get anything for you guys? I'd like to go to the snack bar before the line gets too long! :D

Exactly what I don't want. counter-productive. Therefore, the wording. If I find a great deal on a Honda, great, but there is plenty of info on the Honda genny on BOC and virtually none on other manufacturers. Hence, this thread.

MidnightSun;399510 wrote: As mentioned you will need a 2000 to run a heater and 2000 is actually only 1800 continuos. I have plenty of experience with the Honda and the Kipor 2000. As for noise, I have had them running side by side with same loads, they are very similar but if you want to be fussy, the Honda is a tad quieter. I also have lots of experience with the Honda 1000 and can tell you in general the 2000 is much quieter than the 1000. Not in specs but in real life. Reason for this is lets say you run the battery charger and lets say this needs 750 watts. The poor little 1000 is racing at full throttle where the 2000 is almost at idle. In this respect they are much quieter. So much so that when my friend used to pull out his 1000 to basically charge the batteries we decided he hook up to mine as both on the 2000 was quieter and less wasteful gas wise. Do seriously consider the 2000. I know at least 3 people with Kipor 2000 units, none have had any problems at all in the last 3 year. Yes it gets bashed to $hit here on BOC but this is not my experience at all.

The heater has a switchable power setting and a 1000 will power it on the lower setting. 750 and 1500 Watt draw at maximum thermostat setting. Never past 50% on the lower draw. Also will only be used early Spring and Fall.

The 30 lbs. of a 1000 watt is a definite attraction.

I will admit I had not considered the benefit of running a 2000 watt unit with a lighter electrical load. Gas, noise, reserve power (power two boats if neccessary, larger tank. Excellent points.
I have the room to store the 2000. (not in the engine compartment, I know, LOL)
Access to the cuddy deck is limited (hatch only, no walk-thru) and that is a factor. But if I can fit thru it.....:o
I'd think a secure bow mount with a cover so I don't have to constantly retrieve and stow would be in order.

Food for thought. Great ideas and insight. Now more to consider. :confused:

Thanks again. Keep it coming....

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 18:38 #23

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

706jim;399562 wrote: If you buy an off-brand generator and post on these forums, you have your work cut out for you, convincing other posters that your unit is any good (even if it IS!)

I own a 27 year old Bayliner with a rotting floor and a 25 year old Cobalt. I really don't care what others think and don't try to convince them of anything. I'm on the water, and that's better than watching from shore. :p If it runs, it's good in my book. Same thing goes for Honda or Kipor or something jerry-rigged.

I tie up to boats worth over $300 G's and they don't seem to care either. Some elitist, yes, but then I don't really care about them. ;)

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 19:37 #24

• 706jim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62

tbear;399581 wrote: I really don't care what others think and don't try to convince them of anything.

This will make participating on this board much more relaxing.

Trust me, it's not just this forum where all sorts of arguments and battles are expressed.

2007 Discovery 246
300mpi BIII
Welcome island Lake Superior

Non Honda Portable Genny Owners 02 Jan 2010 19:55 #25

• tbear
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

706jim;399600 wrote:

tbear;399581 wrote: I really don't care what others think and don't try to convince them of anything. QUOTE]

This will make participating on this board much more relaxing.

Trust me, it's not just this forum where all sorts of arguments and battles are expressed.

Not to threadjack my own thread, but we own Bayliners. C'mon, if we wanted better quality, we would have bought something else. (we know they're not the best...just not as bad as their reputation) ;)
Why would it be any different with a genny? That's rhetorical....now back to the topic.

Midnight Sun came up with a scenario I hadn't considered at all (running a 2000 easier/quieter than a 1000 full tilt)

I think bow mounting would be good for day parties to keep the sound away from the cockpit, but I like what some of the Cruisers have done with the swim platform mounts for overnighting. I'll probably be raising my swim platform as it sets barely above water and splashes with wakes. Really annoying. That and a waterproof chamber (i.e. cheap cooler drilled for ventilation and cooling) should do the trick there....

Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds