Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starboard on the Radar Arch

Starboard on the Radar Arch 28 Oct 2009 22:19 #1

• Baycation
  • Baycation's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I am replacing the inboard facing for the radar Arch on my 89 2755. I want to use Starboard ( no more vinyl covering ) and would like to know what thickness Bayliner typically used on the newer 90's vintage boats. Any help would be greatful.
Thanks
AL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cinco de Mayo
1998 Avanti 3255
Twin 5.7L Mercs
Baycation
1989 2755 Ciera Sunbridge
For sale

Starboard on the Radar Arch 29 Oct 2009 13:41 #2

• RockinW
  • Thank you received: 0
When I redid the panels on my 1990 2775, the underlying plywood was thin, on the order of 3/8 inch, with a very thin, 1/8 inch foam rubber under the vynyl. I did the upper corner pieces in starboard, 1/2" and it matched pretty well. The corner pieces I perforated for airflow into the arch.

HarryW

HarryW
'90 2755 Ciera

Starboard on the Radar Arch 29 Oct 2009 13:51 #3

• Baycation
Harry,
Thanks for the info. So you feel using 1/2" all around is a better fit? When I took my Radar arch top piece off it was only 1/4 plus the foam. The sides were 3/8 , maybe 1/2" plus the foam. Does anyone know if the arch top piece should be thinner? maybe for weight purposes as opposed to structural strength?
Thanks again
AL

Cinco de Mayo
1998 Avanti 3255
Twin 5.7L Mercs
Baycation
For sale

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Oct 2009 01:21 #4

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
I'd to 3/8 or 1/4" if you're doing Starboard or Seaboard. It's heavy stuff. There is little to no structural requirement from the inside panels unless the rest of the arch is shot.

Best way to do this is with a router, get a trimming bit and just cut out an approximate outline, screw it to the arch and trace it out with the trimming bit. Take it off and use a round-over to put a rounded edge on it and it'll look great, and no need for vinyl and it'll fit perfect. Counter-sunk stainless flat screws would be nice... :)

I found Seaboard's best price was from a local plastics distributor, far cheaper than Internet pricing and there is no shipping fee.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Oct 2009 01:28 #5

• Baycation
3/8 to 1/4 is what I thought. Good ideas for template/finish work/mounting. AND YES...Counter sunk screws will be in the mix! I intend a few mor mods. I will post when performed. Thanks again

Cinco de Mayo
1998 Avanti 3255
Twin 5.7L Mercs
Baycation
For sale

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Oct 2009 13:24 #6

• Capt. Lou
I'm thinking that I may have to do the same on my 89 2955; is the thickness more or less for structural support?

1989 Avanti 2955 - Currently w/o name
460 King Cobra
Salud:cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Oct 2009 14:48 #7

• stevej2655
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
PICTURES WE NEED PICTURES !!! :D I'd like to do the same, I redid mine 2 yrs ago w/ regular plywood and vynal. Didn't turn out as well as I wanted it too.

Steve j
1989 Ciera 2655 - 7.5 L OMC K/C *sold*" in search of the next one :D
The Weathers Here, Wish you Were Beautiful"
Jimmy Buffett for President :arr
Margaritaville - It's not just a destination...it's a state of mind!

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Oct 2009 16:06 #8

• Baycation
I will take photos and as far as structural integrity, the span across your arch is fairly short so thinner board will work as some on here have already stated. I also think it depends upon what you are mounting in the arch face, such as speakers, lighting etc. I am also going to make a cut out service hatch like the newer ones have. My main concern is keeping water from entering the arch. I am debating aluminum or vinyl edging. I do not want to have to do this a second time...Oh yeah...I'm refirbing this boat to SELL her...
SHe'll be turn key when done, Radar, new electronics, power rehab, custom seating and dash...a labor of love but I still want THE BIGGER BOAT!!! there I said it...he he :D Cruisers 33 here I come...

Cinco de Mayo
1998 Avanti 3255
Twin 5.7L Mercs
Baycation
For sale

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Oct 2009 18:01 #9

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

Baycation;373804 wrote: I will take photos and as far as structural integrity, the span across your arch is fairly short so thinner board will work as some on here have already stated. I also think it depends upon what you are mounting in the arch face, such as speakers, lighting etc. I am also going to make a cut out service hatch like the newer ones have. My main concern is keeping water from entering the arch. I am debating aluminum or vinyl edging. I do not want to have to do this a second time...Oh yeah...I'm refirbing this boat to SELL her...
SHe'll be turn key when done, Radar, new electronics, power rehab, custom seating and dash...a labor of love but I still want THE BIGGER BOAT!!! there I said it...he he :D Cruisers 33 here I come...

Pick up a 1.5 gallon kit of white epoxy on eBay and seal the wood where the starboard is going to mount. Assume it IS going to leak, but since you have all glass and epoxy inside it won't matter. For extra protection, you could even route a small groove, epoxy and then stick a piece of round rubber gasket material in there making a water-tight seal when you screw it down :)

Promise to take a lot of pics :) A ton of 80s Bay's need this.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Oct 2009 18:40 #10

• Baycation
Great advice, I had planned to epoxy the wood anyway but the routing and gasket is a great idea. It will also help keep my wiring nice and dry. I wasn't going to start the process for another month but you guys got me going. Think I'll begin the process next week... Thanksfor all the help and ideas. Keep em comming!!!

Cinco de Mayo
1998 Avanti 3255
Twin 5.7L Mercs
Baycation
For sale

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Jan 2010 03:38 #11

• Capt. Lou

Baycation;373878 wrote: Great advice, I had planned to epoxy the wood anyway but the routing and gasket is a great idea. It will also help keep my wiring nice and dry. I wasn't going to start the process for another month but you guys got me going. Think I'll begin the process next week... Thanksfor all the help and ideas. Keep em comming!!!

Baycation,
Any updates???

1989 Avanti 2955 - Currently w/o name
460 King Cobra
Salud:cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Starboard on the Radar Arch 30 Jan 2010 03:54 #12

• MikeM8560
a past owner of my boat used 1/4" starboard on my arch.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds