Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do you determine your cruising Limits?

How do you determine your cruising Limits? 18 Sep 2009 19:47 #1

• AJgang
  • AJgang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I just brought a used '86 2560. It has a 105 gal fuel tank. Im installing a used volvo/penta GM block AQ260A and would like to determine how to estimate my fuel range. Id like to fish offshore maybe even to the canyons eventually. How do I measure fuel range or what the "rule of the thumb" that I should go by? I have heard of the 1/3rd rule but need more input. For example, Going out from Manasquan inlet or Barnegat inlet at what speed to get to the canyons? Dont be afraid to be a critic! I need to know what it takes to make a trip like this. This is no childs-play venturing this far off the Jersey coast but I eventually would like to make this trip. Do I need expensive electronics? etc,etc? Do I need to increase my fuel capacity with a few fuel cells? Emergency life raft? Hopefully this Bayliner family of boat Enthusiasts will direct me in the right direction...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do you determine your cruising Limits? 18 Sep 2009 20:31 #2

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357

AJgang;351995 wrote: I just brought a used '86 2560. It has a 105 gal fuel tank. Im installing a used volvo/penta GM block AQ260A and would like to determine how to estimate my fuel range. Id like to fish offshore maybe even to the canyons eventually. How do I measure fuel range or what the "rule of the thumb" that I should go by? I have heard of the 1/3rd rule but need more input. For example, Going out from Manasquan inlet or Barnegat inlet at what speed to get to the canyons? Dont be afraid to be a critic! I need to know what it takes to make a trip like this. This is no childs-play venturing this far off the Jersey coast but I eventually would like to make this trip. Do I need expensive electronics? etc,etc? Do I need to increase my fuel capacity with a few fuel cells? Emergency life raft? Hopefully this Bayliner family of boat Enthusiasts will direct me in the right direction...

I fish 35 to 45 miles from port out of Seward, AK, with my gas 3870, I always figure I better have close to 1/4 tank when I return to dock, you never know what will happen on the water; you may have to hit the gas and high tail it back to port at near full throttle. You want enough fuel to get back to port fast, and not on fumes. I have 2 150 gal tanks.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

How do you determine your cruising Limits? 19 Sep 2009 01:50 #3

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Mine's pretty simple. Without any special trim, I can expect to get at least 1MPG. I have a 102 gallon tank and so I plan using the 1/3rd, 1/3rd, 1/3rd rule.

1/3rd of the tank to get me to my primary destination

1/3rd of the tank to get me home if I abort

1/3rd in reserve for a necessary bingo to some other port.

For me that's normally 34 miles one way, or a stretch to 68 if I keep divert locations in range (and we have lots of those here).

How do you determine your cruising Limits? 11 Jan 2010 19:50 #4

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
on actual fuel use or get a GOOD, calibrated flowmeter, use one mph as the rule of thumb and use the thirds rule. Though I'll admit that on a long trip where I'm running from fuel dock to fuel dock, I try to plan it with two-thirds to the next planned stop and a third in reserve. The reason for that is the reserve is only for maneuvering or enough of a course diversion to get shelter and then I'm just going on to the next fuel dock.

How do you determine your cruising Limits? 11 Jan 2010 22:05 #5

• jmcannonball
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
I also use the 1 mi/gal as a general estimate. I also like the 1/3 1/3 1/3 rule when heading into an area where I don't know where the next fuel stop may be. And even then, fuel that was there yesterday might not be available today, so best to be prepared to have enough fuel to return to the previous post where there was fuel. On lengthy runs when we went from Seatle to Juneau, I would usually run the 2/3 1/3 rule: 2/3 to the next fuel stop and have 1/3 in reserve.

Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys[/B]
Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
MMSI: 338030604

How do you determine your cruising Limits? 11 Jan 2010 22:33 #6

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
You can get a good fuel flow meter that would be accurate within a couple of gallons for less than $200. Easy to install. Then you can sleep better knowing you are OK on fuel... They also help indicate your best mpg... :arr

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How do you determine your cruising Limits? 11 Jan 2010 22:55 #7

• BrooklynJim
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
well...
going that far offshore on a single engine is risky no?

the flow meter is by FAR the best option for the money

anyway..

to estimate your fuel range, and i say again, ESTIMATE, fill it to the brin, take her out where you can get her just up on plane or the speed you prefer to run at, and hold her there for a GPS confirmed 10 miles, should be between 2800-3500 rpm ease off, turn around, head back to the fuel dock, fill her up to the brin again..

devide 20 miles on XX gallons = mpg, youll be able to guestimate that you can go XX miles offshore on XX gallons at a specific rpm, leave a 20% leeway in case of bad water and head winds.. so if you have a 100 gallons, go out 30-35 miles, should leave you enough play to start and stop several times and wander around offshore, and hell.. whats your call sign and ill meet ya out there,

i personally use the 1 mpg technique and always have plenty of fuel left over when i get back, but i carry 200 gallons, farthest ive gone was 55 miles.. which ironically, aside from Direct TVs assurance against this, i was losing the direct tv sat signal that far out.. kinda freaky, anyway, that was a good day out there, trolling for 3 hours.. it would be nice to set up something and go out together

where do you launch from?

also, i owned an 84 or was it an 85 2560, and i dont mean to kill it for you, but my range sucked!! full tank was only 85 gallons useable and i was only able to go out about 20 miles if the water was good, bad water meant more fuel burn, which mean shorter jaunts

if you plan on keeping the boat, i suggest cutting an access panel into the tank, extending the fuel pickup, which would require, and highly recommend cleaning it seasonally...

i did that to my current tanks and can use 100 of the 105 gallon capacity

Bayliner 3270
"MARAKI"
Twin Crusader CH220's
(repowered)
Important Notice"
DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL...
THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF....
WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE
Regards
THE GOVERNMENT
[/SIZE]
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds