• Page:

TOPIC: Washington State crab catch report time

crab catch report time 11 Sep 2017 20:38 #1

• green650
  • green650's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
Well I got the post card telling me it's time to report.
Seems like you have to create an account now in order to report, cant just enter your wild id # and info and call it done.
I have 4 people to enter, if I'm required to create an account for each, I'm thru with crabbing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

crab catch report time 11 Sep 2017 20:41 #2

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806
:ohmy: Is there an old school way to report ya catch?

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

crab catch report time 11 Sep 2017 20:48 #3

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

builderdude wrote: :ohmy: Is there an old school way to report ya catch?

Yup.
I'm going to do that.
Put the four catch reports in an envelope and mail it in so they can enter the data.
That's probably what they want so they can justify hiring more people and expanding.

crab catch report time 11 Sep 2017 20:52 #4

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Put them in an envelope and mail to:

WDFW CRC Unit
PO Box 43142
Olympia, WA 98504-3142
The following user(s) said Thank You: builderdude

crab catch report time 11 Sep 2017 23:05 #5

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 326
I just did that with ten or so records from family and guests. Kinda tough to do online if ya don't have their birthdate.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

crab catch report time 12 Sep 2017 00:21 #6

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Pcpete wrote: I just did that with ten or so records from family and guests. Kinda tough to do online if ya don't have their birthdate.

Did you have to create an account for each person or just for yourself?

I just put them in an envelope and mailed them. I don't have the patience to create a new account and password just to log how many crabs I caught, and then do the same for my nephews and gf. I already have accounts and passwords for some 50 data bases at work...none of which use the same parameters so same id's and passwords can be used. Some of which new passwords have to be created every 30 days. And computers were supposed to make life easier. Seems like all they have done now is double the workforce to get something done.

crab catch report time 12 Sep 2017 00:34 #7

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You don't have to create an account, an alternate is to use their "Wild ID" and birthdate. The Wild ID is on the catch record but not their birthdate. Considering half of the records were for guests in our case, mail was the right option.

P/C Pete
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
MMSI 367770440

crab catch report time 12 Sep 2017 01:11 #8

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

Pcpete wrote: You don't have to create an account, an alternate is to use their "Wild ID" and birthdate. The Wild ID is on the catch record but not their birthdate. Considering half of the records were for guests in our case, mail was the right option.

Just tried to use wild ID and birthdate but was directed to a page that said "you must create an account to continue". No thanks, I'll send it via snail mail.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

crab catch report time 12 Sep 2017 01:30 #9

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606
I just did it online for my wife and I. I reported a grand total of zero crabs....

The second weekend of the season we went crabbing for the first time this year and set a number of traps NW of Saddlebag Island in Anacortes. We let them soak while we went and got fuel, plus did a few errands. When we returned a couple of hours later all our traps were gone, except for an old crusty one. The crab trap that was left had the trap door latch undone and there were no crabs in it. It seems like some low-life liked my new traps and crabs better than me. I wasn't about to spend more money on traps this year; so we did not go crabbing again. :angry:

BTW, I added, "Washington State" to the main topic line.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.

crab catch report time 12 Sep 2017 17:26 #10

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Norton Rider wrote: I just did it online for my wife and I. I reported a grand total of zero crabs....

The second weekend of the season we went crabbing for the first time this year and set a number of traps NW of Saddlebag Island in Anacortes. We let them soak while we went and got fuel, plus did a few errands. When we returned a couple of hours later all our traps were gone, except for an old crusty one. The crab trap that was left had the trap door latch undone and there were no crabs in it. It seems like some low-life liked my new traps and crabs better than me. I wasn't about to spend more money on traps this year; so we did not go crabbing again. :angry:

Being an avid crabber in the PNW, other than theft (which happens, but more often, they drift away) there are three considerations to ensuring your pots remain where you set them: buoyancy of floats, weight in the pot, and length of line. I use 200' on all my pots. I use double 6x14 floats rigged to a piece of PVC. I use 3 or 4 of these round steel stakes zip tied to the bottom of each. I set them at any depth up to 170' and they are (almost) always there, even overnight or if I have to leave them longer.

I have one heavy SS commercial pot, but the other 3 are cheap Danielsons that I zipped all the connections to. They all catch crab, and many times, a Danielson will have more than the commercial pot. Two Danielsons had the door on top with the rot cord on the bungie holding the door closed. Unfortunately, with the doors on top, even after the cord has rotted, most crab will not find it and will die hugging the bottom corners. So instead, I cut the ring out, and as recommended by the folks who do the lost pot retrievals, I used rot cord to tie it back in its place.

NR, losing pots is going to happen. However, PNW Dungeness crab is a resource I would hate to give up on. I have lost or replaced over a dozen pots in the past 12 years; 3 pots this year due to my stupidity, underestimating the current the first time I set them at the south side of Protection Island. Weighting fresh caught crab against the precooked crab sold at $13-18/lb, buying or replacing pots becomes a no-brainer. I replaced the pots immediately, but added two more metal stakes to each. (The pots we lost were 3 years old, and they'd caught thousands of dollars of crab.)

Wifey and I harvested 48 crab this season, which comes to around 24lbs of crab meat. That works out to about $1K if we'd bought from the store (....which ain't gonna happen, because I am not a fan of how they cook them). Most of them were eaten within a day or two, but some was shucked and frozen in FoodSaver vacuum bags. Personally, nothing beats a crab and cheddar cheese scramble for brekkie, and now we can have that all winter long. Yummmm!

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

crab catch report time 12 Sep 2017 21:34 #11

• Norton Rider
  • Away

CptCrunchie wrote:

Norton Rider wrote: I just did it online for my wife and I. I reported a grand total of zero crabs....

Being an avid crabber in the PNW, other than theft (which happens, but more often, they drift away) there are three considerations to ensuring your pots remain where you set them: buoyancy of floats, weight in the pot, and length of line. I use 200' on all my pots. I use double 6x14 floats rigged to a piece of PVC. I use 3 or 4 of these round steel stakes zip tied to the bottom of each. I set them at any depth up to 170' and they are (almost) always there, even overnight or if I have to leave them longer.

I have one heavy SS commercial pot, but the other 3 are cheap Danielsons that I zipped all the connections to. They all catch crab, and many times, a Danielson will have more than the commercial pot. Two Danielsons had the door on top with the rot cord on the bungie holding the door closed. Unfortunately, with the doors on top, even after the cord has rotted, most crab will not find it and will die hugging the bottom corners. So instead, I cut the ring out, and as recommended by the folks who do the lost pot retrievals, I used rot cord to tie it back in its place.

NR, losing pots is going to happen. However, PNW Dungeness crab is a resource I would hate to give up on. I have lost or replaced over a dozen pots in the past 12 years; 3 pots this year due to my stupidity, underestimating the current the first time I set them at the south side of Protection Island. Weighting fresh caught crab against the precooked crab sold at $13-18/lb, buying or replacing pots becomes a no-brainer. I replaced the pots immediately, but added two more metal stakes to each. (The pots we lost were 3 years old, and they'd caught thousands of dollars of crab.)

Wifey and I harvested 48 crab this season, which comes to around 24lbs of crab meat. That works out to about $1K if we'd bought from the store (....which ain't gonna happen, because I am not a fan of how they cook them). Most of them were eaten within a day or two, but some was shucked and frozen in FoodSaver vacuum bags. Personally, nothing beats a crab and cheddar cheese scramble for brekkie, and now we can have that all winter long. Yummmm!

Mine were weighed, had adequate line, and we're set correctly. The prior week there had been a number of crab trap disappearances at the same location. Had I known this I would have hung around while they soaked.

Anacortes, WA

crab catch report time 20 Sep 2017 04:48 #12

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Norton Rider wrote:

CptCrunchie wrote:

Mine were weighed, had adequate line, and we're set correctly. The prior week there had been a number of crab trap disappearances at the same location. Had I known this I would have hung around while they soaked.

I always see a ton of boats in that area. Is it because it's the easiest to get to from Anacortes?

I used to go to a shelf about a couple miles out from wildcat cove. It's about 10-12 miles from Bellingham (1.5 hours by 32xx, or 15 minutes on planing boats). Always limit out. Usually leave them overnight to get big ones. I had 10 pounds of lead in each pot, never lost one.
Sold all my pots on CL ten minutes after I listed them. Got nothing now.

crab catch report time 20 Sep 2017 16:36 #13

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
I always use a an orange A2 bag on a tag line of about 15 feet. It'll float the pot if needed and I lose the bottom. More than once I've shown up with two foam floats underwater and hanging from that tag line and A2 Polyform buoy. They drift a lot more than people think.

crab catch report time 20 Sep 2017 22:15 #14

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Police added 2 new photos.
September 18 at 10:02am ·
Puget Sound Unlicensed Charter Seized
After receiving reports of an unlawful crab charter out of Everett, Officers contacted the vessel after returning from harvesting crab. The vessel contained ten total subjects, but only seven licensed subjects on board, mostly children with catch record cards.
in addition to failing to have a charter license, the captain also did not have a fishing license due to his privileges being suspended for prior crab violations. The subjects possessed a total of 78 Dungeness crab, 2 red rock crab, one Coho salmon, two Ratfish, one Dogfish, and an Octopus. Of the 78 Dungeness crab, 28 were female and an additional 28 were undersized. As a result of multiple violations and unlicensed charter operation, the vessel was seized for forfeiture proceedings.
The pictures are on the wdfw police Facebook page. They seized a pretty nice looking boat.

P/C Pete
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
MMSI 367770440

crab catch report time 20 Sep 2017 22:24 #15

• Norton Rider
  • Away

SomeSailor wrote: I always use a an orange A2 bag on a tag line of about 15 feet. It'll float the pot if needed and I lose the bottom. More than once I've shown up with two foam floats underwater and hanging from that tag line and A2 Polyform buoy. They drift a lot more than people think.

Good idea

Anacortes, WA

crab catch report time 21 Sep 2017 03:04 #16

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

Pcpete wrote: Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Police added 2 new photos.
September 18 at 10:02am ·
Puget Sound Unlicensed Charter Seized
After receiving reports of an unlawful crab charter out of Everett, Officers contacted the vessel after returning from harvesting crab. The vessel contained ten total subjects, but only seven licensed subjects on board, mostly children with catch record cards.
in addition to failing to have a charter license, the captain also did not have a fishing license due to his privileges being suspended for prior crab violations. The subjects possessed a total of 78 Dungeness crab, 2 red rock crab, one Coho salmon, two Ratfish, one Dogfish, and an Octopus. Of the 78 Dungeness crab, 28 were female and an additional 28 were undersized. As a result of multiple violations and unlicensed charter operation, the vessel was seized for forfeiture proceedings.
The pictures are on the wdfw police Facebook page. They seized a pretty nice looking boat.

Pete, crazy stuff :ohmy: you mean to put this post here? It deserves its own thread.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

crab catch report time 21 Sep 2017 03:15 #17

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Pcpete wrote: The pictures are on the wdfw police Facebook page. They seized a pretty nice looking boat.

Anyone know what kind of boat this is?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
TDI tech diver
Kevin

crab catch report time 21 Sep 2017 03:24 #18

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

CptCrunchie wrote:

Pcpete wrote: The pictures are on the wdfw police Facebook page. They seized a pretty nice looking boat.

Anyone know what kind of boat this is?

Yup, that's a government boat! :)

I think it's a Maxum

crab catch report time 21 Sep 2017 03:36 #19

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

green650 wrote: I think it's a Maxum

Good call, green650!

www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/Maxum-2800...-States#.WcM96UxonI4

TDI tech diver
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds