• Page:

TOPIC: No limit on atlantic salmon

No limit on atlantic salmon 22 Aug 2017 17:00 #1

• green650
  • green650's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No limit on atlantic salmon 22 Aug 2017 19:40 #2

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
That happened many years ago down along Rich Passage. the fish would come right to you in search of food. Guys on the beach would through gravel out across the water and the fish would rush the shallows. You could pitch forks as many as you wanted. They don't spawn and die like our salmon and will devastate a fishery if not stopped.

No limit on atlantic salmon 22 Aug 2017 19:43 #3

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 325
More than just oops! I'm frustrated because I'm stuck in dry dock until the Doctor releases me. If I weren't I'd be on my way right now.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

No limit on atlantic salmon 22 Aug 2017 23:40 #4

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
And THAT is why fish farming is illegal in Alaska.
You can farm shellfish, seaweed, algae but no fish.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

No limit on atlantic salmon 22 Aug 2017 23:54 #5

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147
I don't eat farmed salmon, though lots of articles have been written about the sustainability, health and what would happen if they got loose on the west coast.

This article describes the company and what DOE thinks about the whole fish farming aquaculture industry. While the jury is still out as to the question of disease, they are still researching whether it will infect the native species. Most researchers and scientists working on the issue seem to believe that the infected salmon will merely become another species dinner.

For those interested, on August 29, the company who owns most of the fish pens on the US and Canadian coast, 'Icicle' is putting on a 'town hall' at the Sequim Transit center. They will be talking to us about their plans, and will be taking our comments into consideration when deciding where to place them. I will be attending.

So, if anyone desires to make a comment to them, post your remarks here and I will present them at the meeting. Only ask that you include some relatable fact in your comment, not just an 'I don't like it'.

I will also post their proposal and their offering for you to read after the meeting. Should be an interesting one.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

No limit on atlantic salmon 22 Aug 2017 23:59 #6

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Alaskanmutt wrote: And THAT is why fish farming is illegal in Alaska.
You can farm shellfish, seaweed, algae but no fish.

Sadly, the market is driving this industry. Personally, with our hatcheries at only 1/10 of what they could produce, I'm frustrated the powers that be wouldn't say no to the farms and yes to hatcheries. However, they believe that Atlantic salmon won't cross-breed, where hatcheries produce an inferior fish compared to our wild stocks. Strange that they wouldn't have looked in the streets and salmon beds to see there are hatchery fish already spawning with our wild stocks.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
TDI tech diver
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

No limit on atlantic salmon 23 Aug 2017 00:03 #7

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
They'll be hanging around that general area for a long time. They have no real sense of "home" so they'll just wander around and maybe make for fresh water, but its a pretty small number in the scale of things.

No limit on atlantic salmon 23 Aug 2017 00:05 #8

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
Not sure there but here they use local stock for the eggs and milt, They hatch 3.5 million a year (or so) most they let go in the rivers they came from to boost low runs, some have been used to imprint in rivers where the natural run has been decimated thus returning the run. After a year in the wild I am not sure you can tell the difference between a natural run and a hatchery fish.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

No limit on atlantic salmon 23 Aug 2017 00:24 #9

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
These are a whole difference species though. They are lake breeders and won't have much luck there. They'll get predated and caught. These are mature fish that would have to make it to lakes in large numbers (and pairs) to create any problem. It's a shame they aren't forced to only farm native species :)

Last Edit: by SomeSailor.

No limit on atlantic salmon 23 Aug 2017 02:33 #10

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

SomeSailor wrote: It's a shame they aren't forced to only farm native species :)

Nooooo.....! No farming! Let the hatcheries do what they were designed to do.

A group of us volunteer at the Dungeness Fish Hatchery. I refer to my previous posting.

Here are some videos of the hatchery, and in particular, the incubation room. Again, notice all the empty incubation chambers.

Sorting Coho roe, picking out the dead ones.

A visit into the incubation room with all the empty chambers.

Meet Dave thomas, Hatchery Technician II

Considering farmed salmon carries many diseases and hatchery salmon doesn't, one look in my freezer will tell you which one I eat.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

No limit on atlantic salmon 24 Aug 2017 02:29 #11

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A typical Atlantic salmon farm, through the eyes of a GoPro.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

No limit on atlantic salmon 24 Aug 2017 04:28 #12

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

TDI tech diver
Kevin

No limit on atlantic salmon 24 Aug 2017 04:59 #13

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 352

Alaskanmutt wrote: Not sure there but here they use local stock for the eggs and milt, They hatch 3.5 million a year (or so) most they let go in the rivers they came from to boost low runs, some have been used to imprint in rivers where the natural run has been decimated thus returning the run. After a year in the wild I am not sure you can tell the difference between a natural run and a hatchery fish.

Here in Seward, AK last year most of the silver salmon turned around at the mouth of the bay because the water temps were too high-54 deg at the surface at the mouth of the bay.
This year they cam back fat and heavy along with this years salmon and many juvenile fish.

We have more than a bumper run of salmon in the bay right now, stand on the beach and snag them, it is a terminal fishery, many are hatchery fish paid for by the chamber of commerce from the profits of the salmon derby.
Caught 5 today in 2 hours. If you never caught a silver salmon in the side or the tail, it is a real fight on a light spinning rod.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
Last Edit: by boatworkfl.

No limit on atlantic salmon 26 Aug 2017 06:55 #14

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More about the condition of the Lummi Island salmon. Would you eat these? You likely are if you are buying farmed Atlantic salmon, or ordering it in a restaurant.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

No limit on atlantic salmon 29 Aug 2017 21:54 #15

• Sunnydude
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Taking my 12 yr old out this week if nothing for the thrill of catching a 10# fish. Most likely will smoke if we catch.

Sean
1987 3870
Crimson Pride II
Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
MMSI: 338080226

No limit on atlantic salmon 29 Aug 2017 22:53 #16

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 325
My step brother got a few from some guys using nets. Seems to me that if you had a good dip net and some sand to throw in the water the fish may come right up thinking it's food.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

No limit on atlantic salmon 30 Aug 2017 07:48 #17

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Sunnydude wrote: Taking my 12 yr old out this week if nothing for the thrill of catching a 10# fish. Most likely will smoke if we catch.

For most of them, they have such a bad case of yellow mouth, their lower jaw has deformed and they cannot close their mouth around a lure. They can, however, swallow slowly sinking pellets.

JSYK, the sardines they compress into fish food contain very high levels of PCB's. These fish are dangerous to even feed your dog or cat.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

No limit on atlantic salmon 30 Aug 2017 16:03 #18

• cfoss1
  • Thank you received: 39
Yeah, everyone wants to talk about disease, releases etc which are bad enough.

Even if you had the perfect cage (Land based etc), and were not creating clouds of sea lice, or using 'slice' to prevent it, filtering the water, etc....

You STILL have to feed the suckers. Where does that food come from...in many cases countries with less stringent environmental laws allowing massive overfishing to provide fish farms with food.

There is just no way to do fish farming without impact on the existing fragile environment.

Chay

No limit on atlantic salmon 30 Aug 2017 21:55 #19

• Solandri
  • Thank you received: 38

CptCrunchie wrote: I don't eat farmed salmon, though lots of articles have been written about the sustainability, health and what would happen if they got loose on the west coast.

Farmed salmon prices are way up this year due to problems the farms are having with disease. At my local supermarket, farmed salmon has gone from $5.99/lb to $9.99/lb. Some types of wild salmon are now actually cheaper than farmed.

CptCrunchie wrote: However, they believe that Atlantic salmon won't cross-breed

Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) aren't actually a salmon. They're more closely related to trout - they're the only fish called a salmon in the gneus Salmo. The names for these fish were given to them a century or more ago based on their appearance. DNA testing in the 1980s and 1990s clarified the taxonomy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmo

One of the more surprising results of the DNA analysis was that the rainbow trout (originally Salmo gairdneri), long used as an example of the archetypical trout, is actually more closely related to salmon (steelhead when ocean-going) and was renamed Oncorhynchus mykiss. Oncorhynchus being the genus of the Pacific salmons and trout.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oncorhynchus

I don't know if Atlantic salmon can interbreed with Pacific salmon, but the chances are probably lower than silver (Coho) salmon interbreeding with king (Chinook) salmon. And AFAIK that doesn't happen either.

cfoss1 wrote: You STILL have to feed the suckers. Where does that food come from...in many cases countries with less stringent environmental laws allowing massive overfishing to provide fish farms with food.

The energy savings from fish farming comes from the fish not having to expend energy to find food and escape predation, and people not having to expend energy to capture the fish for harvest.

The drawback comes from the highly localized concentration of fish. It's less of a concern for farmed trout, catfish, and tilapia, which are usually raised in ponds so their waste products and any diseases or parasitic infestations are restricted to the single pond. But farmed salmon are raised in pens open to the ocean. Their waste can upset the local ecosystem, and any diseases or parasites they carry can jump over to wild fish.

There is just no way to do fish farming without impact on the existing fragile environment.

Despite what environmentalists like people to think, ecosystems are rarely fragile. Just about every fragile ecosystem which ever existed self-destructed by itself millions of years ago - because they were fragile. The overwhelming majority of existing ecosystems are still around precisely because they are robust and able to survive large deviations from "normal" conditions.

The problem is actually the opposite of the ecosystem being fragile. The ecosystem is extremely robust, so people abuse it (e.g. overharvest fish) with little noticeable impact because the ecosystem can compensate for it. And so it continues for decades with people not caring about the abuse. Until finally we reach the limits of the ecosystem's ability to recover, the point where the straw breaks the camel's back, and suddenly the fish population crashes (e.g. Atlantic cod) when for decades it seemed just fine under slightly less pressure.

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2
Last Edit: by Solandri.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds