TOPIC: Fishing this summer

Fishing this summer 21 Aug 2017 21:20 #1

• CptCrunchie
  • CptCrunchie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147
It's been a decent year in and around Port Angeles for salmon, crab and shrimp, ....though reports say not everyone was successful. Most of the ones we had to toss back were either shakers, or wild between 7 and 17 lb. The majority of Chinook brought in - according to the reports from our PSA members - were between 8 and 22lbs, though 2 were 30.5 and 32. Only very few Coho and Pinks were reported, and most of them came from around the US yellow buoy off Ediz Hook.

Hot lures this year for trolling were CookiesNCream and Funky Chicken spoons, in the 100-180 depth with 110 on the wire. (It was much like fishing for winter blackmouth.) The biggest concentration of nice sized Chinooks was directly in front of the Coast Guard station, and even on the last day, it was combat fishing at its worst. Heavy fog, churning seas, a chilly wind and a few boats who didn't understand the right of way. (For those who don't know, the boat with their port side to land has the right of way.)

For Area 6, the hole, humps and Freshwater Bay all crowding in for second, each giving up some very nice fish.

I've taken home 5 Chinook this summer, a 6 - 7 - 10 - 11 - 13 pounder. I've included photos of a few, as well as a couple brought in by my friend, Barry Baker. ( Please excuse the blood. I thought it was clean, ...at least the other side was. :whistle: )

We've also harvested 48 crab, and about 20 lbs of spotted shrimp. Freezer is far from full, but we are happy with what we caught.

Now that our salmon season in WA Area 6 is over, and we have no Coho season this year, we now have to travel either across the line or to another area. Yeah, no Coho, ....and don't get me started.

How'd everyone else do?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ardoski14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

Fishing this summer 22 Aug 2017 03:14 #2

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806
Nice fish crunchie! As far as the right of way goes: I'm not sure land has anything to do with it, please correct me if I'm mistaken, here's what I know.......

CROSSING PATHS
Your vessel: You’re on a crossing course with another vessel that could result in a collision if neither boat changes course or speed.

The other vessel’s on the right: It’s the privileged or stand-on vessel and you must let it pass in front of you.

The other vessel is on the left: You’re the privileged or stand-on vessel and you must pass in front of the other vessel.

Some more info here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptCrunchie

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

Fishing this summer 22 Aug 2017 03:43 #3

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14
No Coho up there this year? Got 3 on Sat and 2 on Sunday. Slow fishing - everything in the shallows though. Run should pick up when we get some rain

I only ended up with 3 Kings - 7, 8, and 10. Might run down south and take another swing at them in the Gig Harbor area (and maybe take my son in law out)

97 2859

Fishing this summer 22 Aug 2017 04:57 #4

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

builderdude wrote: Nice fish crunchie! As far as the right of way goes: I'm not sure land has anything to do with it, please correct me if I'm mistaken, here's what I know.......

You won't find it in the regs. This 'right of way' is a fishing courtesy for trolling. Even the USCG regs state that trolling vessels are not classified as fishing vessels, therefore, there is no right of way simply because they can maneuver.

I'm also not referring to crossing boats nor overtaking a boat. But even there, I always go with red and green when determining who has the right of way when crossing, and I yield to whoever is ahead of me, no matter what speed we are traveling.

The issue is when we are all circling an area, and a few boats decide to cut back through the oncoming boats such that we land up crossing their lines ...or our own. The courtesy is to give the boat with their port side to shore the right of way. Don't ask me who started it; it's been that way as long as I've been saltwater fishing.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
TDI tech diver
Kevin

Fishing this summer 22 Aug 2017 14:58 #5

• redskyjoe
  • Thank you received: 24

CptCrunchie wrote:

builderdude wrote: Nice fish crunchie! As far as the right of way goes: I'm not sure land has anything to do with it, please correct me if I'm mistaken, here's what I know.......

You won't find it in the regs. This 'right of way' is a fishing courtesy for trolling. Even the USCG regs state that trolling vessels are not classified as fishing vessels, therefore, there is no right of way simply because they can maneuver.

I'm also not referring to crossing boats nor overtaking a boat. But even there, I always go with red and green when determining who has the right of way when crossing, and I yield to whoever is ahead of me, no matter what speed we are traveling.

The issue is when we are all circling an area, and a few boats decide to cut back through the oncoming boats such that we land up crossing their lines ...or our own. The courtesy is to give the boat with their port side to shore the right of way. Don't ask me who started it; it's been that way as long as I've been saltwater fishing.

Commercial salmon trollers in BC always had unwritten rule of starboard pole to the beach had the right of way. This was occasionally enforced the boat with the right of way refusing to yield resulting in pole joust. This eventually evolved in to some boats beefing up their poles and rigging (pipe fore stays instead of cable). Pretty serious business!

Fishing this summer 22 Aug 2017 15:13 #6

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806

CptCrunchie wrote: The issue is when we are all circling an area, and a few boats decide to cut back through the oncoming boats such that we land up crossing their lines ...or our own. The courtesy is to give the boat with their port side to shore the right of way. Don't ask me who started it; it's been that way as long as I've been saltwater fishing.

I'm fairly new to the trolling game, haven't done it since I was a kid with my grandfather. I don't think anyone in the area I was fishing (10) knows of this :silly: at least it didn't appear to be practiced. It was a real cluster of random trolling courses out there. Still a great weekend to be out B)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Fishing this summer 22 Aug 2017 19:02 #7

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

builderdude wrote:

CptCrunchie wrote: The issue is when we are all circling an area, and a few boats decide to cut back through the oncoming boats such that we land up crossing their lines ...or our own. The courtesy is to give the boat with their port side to shore the right of way. Don't ask me who started it; it's been that way as long as I've been saltwater fishing.

I'm fairly new to the trolling game, haven't done it since I was a kid with my grandfather. I don't think anyone in the area I was fishing (10) knows of this :silly: at least it didn't appear to be practiced. It was a real cluster of random trolling courses out there. Still a great weekend to be out B)

Not sure how it started, as I've only been told this. However, I do practice it.

I was also told that it is different for commercial fishing boats because many of them use wide arrays and spreaders, as well as planer boards.

Apparently, it used to be that the recreational fishers would all go clockwise. But some idiots thought that making tight turns on the ends would keep them with the right of way, ...as they plowed through oncoming boats who made wider circles. So much for courtesy. I knew 2 other boats out there, and all three of us landed up with crossed lines, some of which were from having to suddenly turn to avoid a collision, but a few with other boats crossing over our gear.

The biggest issue with our closing date was pea soup fog. If everyone had radar, it may have worked out a little better. But even then, while I could see all the boats, we were going so slow that I had no clue which way they were heading. Adding the 50'-100' of visibility and boats coming at me from every angle, indeed, it was incredibly stressful combat fishing. I left the grounds at 10:30am with a pounding migraine. Had everyone followed that simple courtesy, me may all have had better results than the fish checker reported.

TDI tech diver
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

Fishing this summer 23 Aug 2017 18:08 #8

• BravoZulu
  • Thank you received: 2
Here's a few from Lake Michigan!

Marc
2001 2859, 350 Merc MPI, "Bravo Zulu" South Haven, MI

Fishing this summer 23 Aug 2017 18:36 #9

• ardoski14
  • Thank you received: 6
Well these are not Salmon, but it is what I do I all summer until October on Lake St Clair!

2004 Trophy 2359
5.7 liter Carb
Alpha
15 hp Merc Kicker

Fishing this summer 23 Aug 2017 19:59 #10

• BravoZulu
  • Thank you received: 2
Whoa!....That's some big Musky!!

Marc
2001 2859, 350 Merc MPI, "Bravo Zulu" South Haven, MI

Fishing this summer 25 Aug 2017 03:31 #11

• tdcooper99
  • Thank you received: 8

ardoski14 wrote: Well these are not Salmon, but it is what I do I all summer until October on Lake St Clair!

Ok,forgive me... I'm really not a fisherman, my only experience is on the fresh water lakes of the Canadian prairies as a kid 35 years ago.... but the fish in these pics look a LOT like what we call Northern Pike or Jackfish.... are they related? That duckbill mouth is what gives it away. I can assure you however, that anything I ever caught was in the 3-5 lb range if I was lucky. Good eating though. Or maybe it was just that my Mom always fried them fresh out of the water, in pure butter. Heck, makes anything taste good. :lol:

Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
Tsawwassen, BC
1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
"Island Passport"
Home marina: Point Roberts, WA
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds