• Koppers Kove's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 26
WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
wdfw.wa.gov

August 14, 2017

Amends Canadian-origin salmon transportation rule

Action: Changes method for obtaining clearance number from a Canadian phone line to WDFW website generated.

Effective Date: Effective 12:01 a.m., Aug. 16, until further notice.

Species affected: Salmon.

Reason for action: Canadian Customs and Border Security regulations related to requirement for obtaining a customs clearance number have recently changed. This regulation is needed to provide an alternate means for persons seeking to possess and/or land Canadian caught fish in Washington waters or ports of call.

Other information: Visit wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/canadian_catch.php to obtain a confirmation code. The form requests basic trip and contact information from the party leader that must be submitted prior to leaving Washington with the intent of fishing for salmon in Canada. The party leader will receive an email from WDFW with your confirmation code.

Information contact: Fish Program: Ryan Lothrop, (360) 902-2808; Enforcement Program: Dan Chadwick, 360-249-4628, ex 1253.

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.
Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.). For more information, see wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kevin & Robyn
Koppers Kove
MMSI 338206107
2001 Bayliner 2452
5.7 B2 PT BRA3 17p

New requirement to notify WDFW when fishing in Canada 16 Aug 2017 15:34 #2

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
Thx.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

New requirement to notify WDFW when fishing in Canada 21 Aug 2017 21:44 #3

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149

Koppers Kove wrote: WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery.

Not so. US residents don't need a WA license to fish in Canada and bring the fish back into WA.

You have two options to register prior to making the trip. You can either use your WDFW WILD ID, or just your name, address and phone number. Only the captain has to register, and he must also register the names and citizenship of each of those aboard. Registrants will receive an email containing the reg number within minutes.

You must, however, have an valid Canadian fishing license, and have followed the various Canadian regulations and limitations to bring your fish across.

wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/canadian_catch.php

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

New requirement to notify WDFW when fishing in Canada 21 Aug 2017 22:10 #4

• tdcooper99
  • Thank you received: 8
So I guess this applies to CANADIAN residents going to Canadian waters from American waters to fish too? My boat is in Pt. Roberts, WA, but I do fish Canadian waters. I am licensed for both WA and BC.

Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
Tsawwassen, BC
1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
"Island Passport"
Home marina: Point Roberts, WA

New requirement to notify WDFW when fishing in Canada 22 Aug 2017 00:48 #5

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149

tdcooper99 wrote: So I guess this applies to CANADIAN residents going to Canadian waters from American waters to fish too? My boat is in Pt. Roberts, WA, but I do fish Canadian waters. I am licensed for both WA and BC.

I'm a dual citizen of both, but neither country really cares about that. They just want me to have the license for the country I'm fishing in, no matter where I land what I catch. Thankfully, CBP in Port Angeles has decided to use common sense rather than waste their time with calls from fishers coming back across when they didn't make landfall. I hear they are much stricter up your way, and even more-so in the Great Lakes area.

Only if you fish in US waters will you need a WA license. You will, however, need to make regular declarations to CBP through either an I-68 or a Nexus Pass in Blaine, and indeed, you will need to get that registration number emailed to you. ...But you likely already know that. B)

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds