Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing?

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 15 May 2017 17:03 #1

• tdcooper99
  • tdcooper99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
I've been out a little bit, dropped a few pots, and had some luck, but nothing too crazy. Hoping to get out again towards the end of the week at least once more before the season ends.

How about you all... hows it been going? Has the Canadian commercial season (opened on May 11) affected anything do you think? Not sure how mobile the little critters are, but wondering if the depletion of stocks by the commercial guys on the Canadian side affects the areas of the San Juans that are nearby?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
Tsawwassen, BC
1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
"Island Passport"
Home marina: Point Roberts, WA
Last Edit: by tdcooper99.

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 15 May 2017 22:11 #2

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147
Doing great across the strait. No shortage here, ....but you be the judge.

Second splash, the first last week, the second yesterday. 148 biggins! Tossed back anything smaller to grow bigger.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 15 May 2017 22:41 #3

• tdcooper99
Very nice! What sort of depths and soak times are you using? I'm heading out to a spot later in the week and am planning for around 330' - 350'. But I'm on the fence as to whether a 60-90 minute soak is the way to go or longer....

Tsawwassen, BC
"Island Passport"

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 16 May 2017 00:06 #4

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

tdcooper99 wrote: Very nice! What sort of depths and soak times are you using? I'm heading out to a spot later in the week and am planning for around 330' - 350'. But I'm on the fence as to whether a 60-90 minute soak is the way to go or longer....

We drop them in the holes - the deepest spots in the area - because that's where all the dead fish parts eventually land up. Usually it's around 320'-350'.

As to how long, it all depends on your bait. In each pot, we use a huge dollop of Friskies Ocean Whitefish pate (what we feed our cat), ½ a can of mackerel (for the high oil content) and this last time I put in some cod pieces. The macerated meat and high oils gets them in the pot, and we were hoping the firmer meat would keep them interested. However, after 2 hours, there was only a skeleton remaining, and only the biggest shrimp remained. While we didn't limit out, and that we threw the smaller ones back, as you saw, we still managed a very nice haul.

Interestingly, we had at least 20 large shrimp heads in each pot, evidence that something bigger - like a halibut - was having a dinner of the ones caught in the mesh as they tried to back out of the pots. In other words, we let them sit too long.

I plan to use the same Friskies and mackerel next time, but will add some of the 10lbs if salmon belly in my freezer that I've been saving for halibut.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
TDI tech diver
Kevin

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 16 May 2017 00:32 #5

• tdcooper99
Good to know, thanks. I have a bunch of cans of that same cat food on the boat. I've been just poking holes in the tins, and hanging them from the mesh using a zip tie from the pull tab... but I'm think I might actually mix it into the bait jar with everything else next time. I'm using the scotty ones with the really fine holes/slots. I'm also using crab candy pellets, ground up in a blender with Ace of Baits prawn oil mixed in. I couldn't find the mackerel locally, so I went with some tins of sardines in oil, also mixed into the bait jar. I too have some salmon bellies in my freezer, was saving them for crab season, but might be worth trying them.

Tsawwassen, BC
"Island Passport"

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 16 May 2017 00:44 #6

• tdcooper99

CptCrunchie wrote: Interestingly, we had at least 20 large shrimp heads in each pot, evidence that something bigger - like a halibut - was having a dinner of the ones caught in the mesh as they tried to back out of the pots. In other words, we let them sit too long.

Thats pretty cool actually. Never heard of that!

Tsawwassen, BC
"Island Passport"

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 16 May 2017 03:16 #7

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805
Squid can squeeze into those pots and have a feast as well. I've pulled a couple of pots (a couple years back in BC) and had the squid still in the pot and a bunch of empty shrimp heads too :pinch:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 16 May 2017 10:41 #8

• aknurse
  • Thank you received: 11
Those shrimp heads you are seeing is probably an octopus feasting on your catch and escaping before you got him to the surface. Ive been lucky enough to catch a couple of the buggers in the act and they became table fare themselves. They are mighty tasty too.

"REEL WILD"
2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
Anchorage, Alaska
If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 00:04 #9

• fishaman
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi All,
We will probably try our luck shrimping close to Port Townsend on Saturday. According to shellfish regs, possession limit is "One daily limit in fresh form. Additional shellfish may be possessed in frozen or processed form". So... does anyone know if it's OK to have some cooked shrimp onboard in addition to fresh caught limit?
The regulations language is pretty confusing.
We will be shrimping for 2 days, so just want to make sure that having some cooked shrimp from "yesterday" will not get me a ticket.

Alex
1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD
Last Edit: by fishaman.

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 01:10 #10

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

fishaman wrote: Hi All,
We will probably try our luck shrimping close to Port Townsend on Saturday. According to shellfish regs, possession limit is "One daily limit in fresh form. Additional shellfish may be possessed in frozen or processed form". So... does anyone know if it's OK to have some cooked shrimp onboard in addition to fresh caught limit?
The regulations language is pretty confusing.
We will be shrimping for 2 days, so just want to make sure that having some cooked shrimp from "yesterday" will not get me a ticket.

If you are out for 2 days, your possession limit is double. However, you will have to somehow prove you have been out for two days. Your GPS log is enough proof.

IF the shrimp was harvested during those two days, whether they have been processed (cooked) or frozen, you are still held to that same 2 day limit. Therefore, they are referring to your ADDITIONAL shrimp beyond the one day limit.

Hope that makes sense.

TDI tech diver
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 01:37 #11

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14
We had a pretty good day out of Edmonds yesterday. 3 pots blanks, but we filled three limits on the other three. Back in by 10:30,
Once again, all were caught in sub 250 ft depths. The three blanks were in 275-345.
Worked the bait images in the sonar, and it worked out well.

97 2859

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 03:32 #12

• fishaman

CptCrunchie wrote:
If you are out for 2 days, your possession limit is double. However, you will have to somehow prove you have been out for two days. Your GPS log is enough proof.

IF the shrimp was harvested during those two days, whether they have been processed (cooked) or frozen, you are still held to that same 2 day limit. Therefore, they are referring to your ADDITIONAL shrimp beyond the one day limit.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply Captain, I really appreciate it. I searched the PDF reg file for all possible "possession limit" and "shellfish" words combinations, but had no luck beyond the phrase in the original post. Why don't they make our life less confusing by clearly defining what we can have onboard.

Alex

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 03:51 #13

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
It's pretty well established language. A single days catch and if you've been out mulitple days and second "possession" limit is allowed. That doesn't mean you can start boiling them as you go. :)

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 05:31 #14

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

JThiessen wrote: We had a pretty good day out of Edmonds yesterday. 3 pots blanks, but we filled three limits on the other three. Back in by 10:30,
Once again, all were caught in sub 250 ft depths. The three blanks were in 275-345.

Am I reading this correctly; you had 6 pots all together? WDFW regs state you are only allowed 2 pots each and a maximum of 4 pots per boat.

wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/gear_rules.html

But JSYK, you are also not allowed to share catches between boats before they have been landed. In other words, if boat A has extra shrimp and boat B is short, you cannot pass them off to the other boat, they have to be released. Its the same for crab.

You are also not allowed to have more crab on your boat than your license permits, as in culling the smaller crab to keep the bigger ones in the next pot. Example: You set 4 pots for 2 licensed people. The first pot has 4, you put them in the cooler. The next pot has 5. You put those in the cooler. The next pot has 4. Now you are over your limit. The law says you are not allowed to take any out of the cooler to replace them with the any of the ones in the current pot. You can take the bigger ones ONLY if you haven't reached your limit, but you must release the rest.

You also cannot empty all 4 pots on the deck, then sort them. In fact, you must stop and log the keepers on your catch card immediately after every pot, because if they stop you, they will fine you, and they can also confiscate your license.

This goes for shrimp too, though you don't have to log them. Example: You cannot pull up 2 pots that give you your limit, then keep the bigger ones in the next two and throw the smaller ones back that you previously kept.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 05:43 #15

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

fishaman wrote:

CptCrunchie wrote:

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply Captain, I really appreciate it. I searched the PDF reg file for all possible "possession limit" and "shellfish" words combinations, but had no luck beyond the phrase in the original post. Why don't they make our life less confusing by clearly defining what we can have onboard.

Yeah, right. Then someone at WDFW would actually have to know what they are talking about, and that's never gonna happen. I was halibut fishing last year in Area 6, and brought a white-ish yellow fish from 250' that I'd never seen before. Called WDFW, and after being passed around to 4 different departments, the last one told me I had to release it unharmed. After I told them it was likely dead 1/2 way up from the bottom, some guy shouted across the office, "Tell him to throw it overboard and back away quickly." Sadly, the seagulls had a feast.

Turns out that sablefish are legal during halibut season. Apparently, they are very tasty too! .......Morons!

TDI tech diver
Kevin

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 05:51 #16

• fishaman
I looked at the book again, and that's the language they use:

Possession Limit The number of daily limits
allowed to be kept in the field or in transit.

For Salmon:
Possession limit - 2 daily limits in fresh form. An additional 40 pounds of SALMON may be possessed
in frozen or processed form

VESSEL LIMITS MARINE AREAS 1-6: Anglers
aboard a boat may only possess one daily limit of
fish or SHELLFISH in fresh form.

Possession limit for shellfish:
SHELLFISH - One daily limit of fresh SHELLFISH.
Additional SHELLFISH may be possessed in
a frozen or processed form.

We will be staying on a boat, no ground transportation, so It looks like we need to cook our first day limits before starting fishing the second day:cheer:

Alex
Last Edit: by fishaman.

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 06:20 #17

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

fishaman wrote: I looked at the book again, and that's the language they use:

Possession Limit The number of daily limits
allowed to be kept in the field or in transit.

For Salmon:
Possession limit - 2 daily limits in fresh form. An additional 40 pounds of SALMON may be possessed
in frozen or processed form

VESSEL LIMITS MARINE AREAS 1-6: Anglers
aboard a boat may only possess one daily limit of
fish or SHELLFISH in fresh form.

Possession limit for shellfish:
SHELLFISH - One daily limit of fresh SHELLFISH.
Additional SHELLFISH may be possessed in
a frozen or processed form.

We will be staying on a boat, no ground transportation, so It looks like we need to cook our first day limits before starting fishing the second day:cheer:

That is correct. ERGO: You cannot have more than your 2 day possession limit of shrimp on the boat in any form.

IN ADDITION: Starting June 1, there is still the 80 spotted shrimp per day limit, but there is also a 10 pound per day maximum limit too. So, you can remove the heads from the shrimp in the field, but you must retain them until you reach the dock so they can be weighed.

wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/shrimp/limits.html

TDI tech diver
Kevin

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 19 May 2017 12:22 #18

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
They had a guy lose his boat down at Edmonds a few years back over shrimp, so don't get greedy.

They're trying to avoid the situations where folks catch a batch... eat a batch... catch a batch... eat a batch...

PNW Shrimp/Prawns - How's everyone doing? 22 May 2017 02:26 #19

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14

CptCrunchie wrote:

JThiessen wrote: We had a pretty good day out of Edmonds yesterday. 3 pots blanks, but we filled three limits on the other three. Back in by 10:30,

Am I reading this correctly; you had 6 pots all together? WDFW regs state you are only allowed 2 pots each and a maximum of 4 pots per boat..

No, you didn't read between the lines correctly. Used 4 pots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptCrunchie

97 2859
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds