Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday....

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 03 May 2017 15:38 #26

• cfoss1
  • Thank you received: 39
I've been through this as well.

What works for me is heavy weight, and lots of buoys.

I run two sets of three traps per line (I have 6 traps at the moment). I use lighter weights on the first and second one to make sure they land bottom down, then a 12lb cannon ball in the last one down as an anchor.

I use a Scotsman (Ball type) as the first float, then tether a second smaller float about 5 feet away. Due to tide, I've seen the Scotsman half submerged and it would have been really hard to see. the second float is easy to see still. Works well.

I also monitor my traps. I've 'lost' too many in the past.

Good luck

Chay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 03 May 2017 16:23 #27

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

cfoss1 wrote: I've been through this as well.

What works for me is heavy weight, and lots of buoys.

I run two sets of three traps per line (I have 6 traps at the moment). I use lighter weights on the first and second one to make sure they land bottom down, then a 12lb cannon ball in the last one down as an anchor.

I use a Scotsman (Ball type) as the first float, then tether a second smaller float about 5 feet away. Due to tide, I've seen the Scotsman half submerged and it would have been really hard to see. the second float is easy to see still. Works well.

I also monitor my traps. I've 'lost' too many in the past.

Good luck

Chay

6 pots? Where do you live, and do you have limits? Your profile doesn't say.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 03 May 2017 18:33 #28

• tdcooper99
  • tdcooper99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Staring out my window at the rain and just ITCHING to get out and see if my 'lost' pots have in fact popped up. Had intended to go out this morning, but rain and fog scuppered those plans. Tomorrow morning is looking good now. Irony of the situation is if the pots WERE still there on Sunday, they may not be again now since it will have been 4 days. Let it go dude... let it go is what I keep telling myself :unsure:

Nice thing though is the morning high and low slacks tomorrow are not too different in height, so I am hoping the relatively lower currents between 7:30am & 10:30am will have allowed them to pop up if they were in fact sucked under.

Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
Tsawwassen, BC
1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
"Island Passport"
Home marina: Point Roberts, WA

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 00:22 #29

• tdcooper99
So I FOUND my gear!!!!!

Weather was gorgeous today, so went out and dropped my new gear in a different spot, and while it soaked decided to take the 20 minute run around the other side and see if by some miracle the buoys had popped up. AND THEY HAD!!!!!! Bang on where I left them, right on the waypoint. I meant to take a photo, but the smaller solid foam bullet shaped buoy was COMPRESSED way out of shape... next time I'm down on the boat in the next few days i will take a photo. I reckon the buoys got sucked WAY down and the pressure compressed the buoy... really bizarre.

But, so glad I went back to look. The other thing that happened is that they were really hard to pull up.... the line hauler was really straining, and kept stopping completely. Got 300ft of line in the boat, and that was it.... couldn't pull any more so we realised we must be snagged on something. Tied the line off to a cleat and gently pulled the opposite direction out into deeper water, shifting on and off just to give gentle tugs. It came free and we successfully retrieved them. No prawns, but I didn't care... was just so thrilled they popped back up.

Headed back over to the other pots we dropped today and sat on them for another hour while we had lunch.... pulled them up and had 50 nice sized prawns! If I couldn't got out earlier today, might have even limited... but who cares, I got something.

All in all... things have turned from a disappointing first experience to a very very happy situation.

Thanks again to all who replied to my thread!

Tsawwassen, BC
"Island Passport"

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 01:44 #30

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14
To the OP - fantastic news! Now you have double the gear - time for a bigger boat! :whistle:

97 2859

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 01:47 #31

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14
Cap'n - thanks for the advice - one of those stupiid head smacker things! And yes, you understood what I was asking on the 2nd item.
Gears ready now, baits in the freezer. Just hoping this storm blows that morning fog out of the system

97 2859

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 01:52 #32

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805
That's great cooper, had a smaller but similar experience a few years ago in BC. Pot floated away, found it still floating about 200 yards from my gps pin. It must have hit a shelf down under, had 25-30 prawns in it too.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 01:54 #33

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 22
Good job, it always feels good to be back in the plus column!

Brett
2001 Ciera 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 02:06 #34

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

tdcooper99 wrote: All in all... things have turned from a disappointing first experience to a very very happy situation.

^5! Glad it workout for you.

So, you going to let the floats sink so the pots will stay where they are, or add more floats so they can move?

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
TDI tech diver
Kevin

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 02:08 #35

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

JThiessen wrote: Cap'n - thanks for the advice - one of those stupiid head smacker things! And yes, you understood what I was asking on the 2nd item.
Gears ready now, baits in the freezer. Just hoping this storm blows that morning fog out of the system

NP. Let us know how you do.

Wifey and I are shrimping just SW of the Dungeness Lighthouse on Sunday. We should easily limit out. I'll take photos.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 03:25 #36

• tdcooper99

CptCrunchie wrote: So, you going to let the floats sink so the pots will stay where they are, or add more floats so they can move?

Ha! That really is the question. Today was easy, virtually no current during my soak, water like glass. Recovered before things started to move again. But, in more challenging conditions, I like the idea of having a main buoy that can sink, with a marker buoy that will stay up top. It makes sense to me, from a physics perspective. As long as I have a long enough leader between the main and the marker, that marker buoy will basically regulate how far under the bigger buoy can be pulled, and hold it there in a current. I don't want the gear to move... so weight for me will be king. Not sure about a truck rim... don't want to haul that around... but enough weight in the pots at least, and probably still the grappling hook at the bottom end of the line, before any traps.

Who knows, I'll learn. I expect I will actually lose a pot or 2 also at some point... but I'm just glad I did get back my first ones.

Tsawwassen, BC
"Island Passport"

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 04:31 #37

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

tdcooper99 wrote: ....and probably still the grappling hook at the bottom end of the line, before any traps.

I'd stay away from those 3lbers. They are used more for snagging a line on the bottom than anchoring. The shaft needs to be both long and heavy enough to set a tyne. The smaller ones just cartwheel across the bottom.

I use 9lbers.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 18:40 #38

• Nikko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59
Glad you gottem back - I once lost mine and by fluke happened to look down as I was at trolling speed and getting ready to go, and sure enough about 4' below the surface were my floats - tide and current at work I guess. I used bigger/more floats now :)

Regarding the traps getting stuck on the bottom - I use a 10lb cannon ball attached (clipped via a short lead) to the bottom of the trap and don't use a rock anchor - seems to work fine

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

So I "lost" my prawning gear yesterday.... 05 May 2017 21:06 #39

• cfoss1
  • Thank you received: 39
Might be a hijack, but

In BC you can have up to 4 pots per licence, and a max of 4 pots per line. I use 6 because fortunately my son loves to go prawning as well.

Chay

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds