TOPIC: Salmon net

Salmon net 25 Jan 2015 03:51 #1

• Pacrimrat
  • Pacrimrat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 136
Guys, I'd like some opinions on this net, have any of you used one.

www.amazon.com/StowMaster-TS94X-Tourname...&keywords=salmon+net

Last summer I forgot my old funky salmon net at home and lost a real nice 16 plus pound Coho trying to land it alone with my way too small net. I got the 11 pounder but this guy was too much for the net. I don't want to do that again.

I'm fishing out of a 19 foot CC so stow-ability is a plus.
Chris

www.amazon.com/StowMaster-TS94X-Tourname...&keywords=salmon+net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Pacrimrat.

Salmon net 25 Jan 2015 04:55 #2

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Rubber nets are heavier then others but they allow one to dump the fish without having to un-snag a hook thus getting you back in the water faster to get another fish.
I have both but never carry the non rubber net anymore...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Salmon net 25 Jan 2015 05:00 #3

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126
I have not tried a flat bottomed net before, but my impression is that I would rather have the extra few inches at the bottom of the net. In other words, a round net is more forgiving of stupid mistakes in gauging depth. I am not sure why a flat bottomed net would be beneficial, except maybe to stand the net on the flat part - which would be a bad idea anyway.

Salmon net 25 Jan 2015 05:08 #4

• Reel Power
  • Thank you received: 16
So long as you aren't targeting Kings it looks like a good compromise. Foldable nets lack hoop and neck strength. That one appears to be a decent design with adequate hoop depth. If you get a 15lb. + fish in it make sure your lifting point is as close to the hoop as possible.

My boat shall rise like a wet phoenix (after I deplete all monetary resources).

Salmon net 26 Jan 2015 00:42 #5

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
When trying to get a large salmon into the boat, I've never heard anyone say that they wish that they'd had a smaller net! This is one area where bigger is definitely better. Most of the long handled nets have spring loaded ball bearings that allow the handle to collapse to the far end of the net, reducing the space that they take up. If you're not planning on fishing, leave the net at home. If you are going after the "big" one, you'll want the largest net that you can find on board.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Salmon net 26 Jan 2015 00:53 #6

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Actually, I only use nets here in the Puget Sound. I use a gaff to land fish off of the west side of Vancouver Island.... If the salmon is a keeper, I will stab the fish behind the gills and drag it on board through my walk through transom door. If the fish is not a keeper, I slide the gaff down the leader lifting the fish as I pull the leader down toward the deck and that angle releases the barbless hook from the fish. I have gotten good at landing more fish that way then using a net... The main reason for using the gaff vice a net off Vancouver is we will normally hook up more then one fish at a time and can get them in the boat much faster with less hassle dumping a keeper in the bleeding hold and continue to fish on or grab the next fish. This is the type of gaff I am using:

I also have marked the handle in both cm and inches so I can quickly estimate the fish as a keeper or throw back

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Salmon net 26 Jan 2015 01:01 #7

• Fisher Mat
  • Thank you received: 1

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: Actually, I only use nets here in the Puget Sound. I use a gaff to land fish off of the west side of Vancouver Island.... If the salmon is a keeper, I will stab the fish behind the gills and drag it on board through my walk through transom door. If the fish is not a keeper, I slide the gaff down the leader lifting the fish as I pull the leader down toward the deck and that angle releases the barbless hook from the fish. I have gotten good at landing more fish that way then using a net... The main reason for using the gaff vice a net off Vancouver is we will normally hook up more then one fish at a time and can get them in the boat much faster with less hassle dumping a keeper in the bleeding hold and continue to fish on or grab the next fish. This is the type of gaff I am using:

I also have marked the handle in both cm and inches so I can quickly estimate the fish as a keeper or throw back

X2 on the gaff, I have a similar net to the one the op linked too and carry that exact same gaff. I gaff the bigger fish that will go in the ice box.

1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160, Alaskan bulkhead, 190 hp 4.3L Mercruier Alpha 1 Gen 2

Salmon net 26 Jan 2015 02:45 #8

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
I just looked thru the WA gaffing rules - with the exception of ling and steelhead it appears to be legal.

Salmon net 27 Jan 2015 07:41 #9

• Bernie
  • Thank you received: 3
Just purchased the stowmaster ss120x for saltwater salmon fishing. Love it. Folds up great for storage. You'll be pleased with the strength and quality.

"MIRAGE"
1991 3288
Twin 150 hinos
Friday harbor, Wa.

Salmon net 28 Jan 2015 08:28 #10

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
Mike, I assume you talking about the flat side of the hoop. I think the flat is necessary for folding. Having said that my old large and small nets are both relatively flat.
The hoop on these are 30x32” and 42” deep.
I asked the MFG if I could lift a 25lb fish using the extended handle or if I would have to grab the hoop. He said the handle will easily support a 25 pounder.

The only reason I missed the larger Coho was it would only fit half way into the net. The frame was strong enough. I landed a 30+ pound halibut with my small (cheapo) net two years ago and the frame held. It was half in also. It’s time for a new large net.

Thanks Bernie, I'm ordering the 94". The gunwales on my cat are low so I don't need the extra length.

Salmon net 29 Jan 2015 21:33 #11

• Bernie
Also look at the ss94x . I was considering the ts series and stowmaster recommended the ss series for a salt water environment. They were very helpful.

"MIRAGE"
1991 3288
Twin 150 hinos
Friday harbor, Wa.

Salmon net 01 Feb 2015 03:20 #12

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
Bernie, I asked what the difference was between the SS and TS, the only thing is color.

Do any of you worry about the color of your net?

Salmon net 01 Feb 2015 03:40 #13

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
They pretty much only come in green,blue, and black, AFAIK. I would not want white or some garish color - except maybe Seahawks Blue & bright Green.

Last Edit: by PugetMike.

Salmon net 01 Feb 2015 05:33 #14

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
If I were to buy another net, it would be clear rubber...

This image is hidden for guests.

www.driftermarine.com/catalog/clear-rubber-landing-net/

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

Salmon net 01 Feb 2015 23:37 #15

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW

The SS is blue the ST is black. I guess the blue would be less visible to the fish.

Both are coated, hookless.

This message has an attachment image.

Salmon net 02 Feb 2015 20:53 #16

• Bernie
Your correct ,the only difference is the color. When I purchased my net they recommended the saltater series (ss) for saltwater and the tournament series (ts) for fresh water. Didn't realize they were the same net. Knowing this now I would have preferred the black net.
Thanks for the correction.

"MIRAGE"
1991 3288
Twin 150 hinos
Friday harbor, Wa.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds