Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Taking my Dad fishing Perch tomorrow, Lake St. Clair. Need advice

Taking my Dad fishing Perch tomorrow, Lake St. Clair. Need advice 10 Oct 2014 15:01 #1

• kevinv123
  • kevinv123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Neither of us big boat fisherman(he only likes to fish at the local trout farm because he's guaranteed not to get skunked). I Ice fish and have all of the requisite gear and enough pan fish gear. If it was ice fishing I'd have no issues, know what rigs to use, poles, where to go, etc.

Thinking of going either to the Dumping grounds near Grosse Point Shores or the Firecracker where the St. Clair Flats(South channel) and the St. Clair Cut-off (Main Channel) come together. Any advice here? Anyone fish here?

Probably going to use minnows on a spreader and Jig for them, any favorite techniques or tidbits of info?

Unfortunately all of my gear is already on the boat so I don't have a good inventory of what I have but I do have quite an adequate supply of hooks, mono, beer, cigars, grill, etc. Any thing
I might want to have in my back pocket so to speak?

Thanks.

Kevin V.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1986 Contessa Sunbridge 2850 Twin AQ225D/280's
"Miss Guided"
Jewel Pint Marina,
Harrison Twp, MI

Taking my Dad fishing Perch tomorrow, Lake St. Clair. Need advice 10 Oct 2014 20:10 #2

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I have no advice, but I'm sure it will be a good trip, fish or not. Enjoy! :)

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Taking my Dad fishing Perch tomorrow, Lake St. Clair. Need advice 10 Oct 2014 21:33 #3

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
I miss fishing for perch on Lake Michigan, used to use power lines with 6 hooks and one line on each side of me.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Taking my Dad fishing Perch tomorrow, Lake St. Clair. Need advice 17 Oct 2014 03:44 #4

• Blackeyes
  • Born to fish, Forced to work
  • Thank you received: 17
Not sure where you are launching from but the hump just east of the launch at Belleville On. is always pretty good. Bass are plentiful too. Don't be suprised if the odd musky dosen't clean you

1998 Bayliner 2452 Ciera Express, 5.0 L 220 hp
2012 Ram 4 x 4 Big Horn - Hemi
Wardsville On. Ca.

Taking my Dad fishing Perch tomorrow, Lake St. Clair. Need advice 17 Oct 2014 11:46 #5

• kevinv123
  • kevinv123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41

Thanks guys for the replies. We went, to channel marker 28, near the Firecracker(it's a permanent marker painted red, looks like a firecracker sticking out of the water). he caught 3 keepers but since there were only 3 we threw them back for another time. 10 other boats in the area but it looked like they weren't catching fish. Ended up using spreaders tipped with minnows. Good time, beer drank, stogies smoked, worlds problems solved, you know, standard fare for a fishing trip. He had fun, said he was impressed with how the boat ran(fast, smooth, comfortable). He had a small runabout when I was about 4 but I don't recall ever going out. All in all a good time.

Kevin V.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1986 Contessa Sunbridge 2850 Twin AQ225D/280's
"Miss Guided"
Jewel Pint Marina,
Harrison Twp, MI
Last Edit: by kevinv123.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds