TOPIC: Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 08 Aug 2014 00:25 #1

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Getting anxious so I am in the process of building up some lures... Hoochies today...

It always amazes me that lure companies don't make barbless lures... especially those up here in the PNW and Canada where barbless is the only option... I hate crimping the barb because the hook starts to rust out in one day...

Anyway, I used Gamakatsu barbless hooks only because Owner hooks don't come barbless or if they do, I have never seen them... Also, I prefer the black ones as they seem to be more resistant to salt water then the silvered ones... Not shown in these photos, I will sometimes add a small squid on the second hook behind the bigger hoochie...

here is an offset hoochie which is suppose to simulate a crippled squid. The bead is a glow bead for more attraction. BTW, I also add some yard in side the hoochie head that will absorb liquid scent... I use liquid because it can be cleaned afterward with Dawn dish washing soap and be reused. Never use a paste scent... I also use at least 40# test mono for my lure leaders... For Halibut, I use 150# test. I know many like a lighter pound test so they can at least retrieve some of the gear caught on the bottom... but that is personal preference...

In this photo you will see the offset and a noise maker on another hoochie... The object with the noisemaker is to tick off the salmon so they bite...

I use tinsel skirts under the hoochies too. Some times I will cut off every fifth tentacle so more tinsel shows. The tinsel and beads are UV glow also...

I'll be building another nine for our three week stay in Ukee this year... all with have yarn, some will be offset and some will have noise makers. Next batch should have a leaf on the front but I need to buy more. Those are fun to use as they do a great job ticking off salmon...

Anyway, thought I would share some of my go to lures... next up... spoons and what I do to the standard factory ones...

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 09 Aug 2014 04:03 #2

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Hi Doug. I'm heading for Ukee on the 19th for 5 days. I usually fish Port Renfrew but decided to add some interest for the Admiral this year. I've never fished this area but have been checking fishing reports for the area. It seems like it should be decent. Most areas on the West side are reporting smaller, and fewer than usual Springs this year.
I'm also not too sure about the lack of barbless hook production. I do pitch them off with needle nose pliers. I don't think that it's the pinching off that starts the hooks rusting, but rather fishing success. Those devils have a mineral component in their mouths that will apparently rust a hook to none existence in a few days. I know that any of my favorite lures have a rather short hook lifespan after a fishing trip, especially the ones that hold bait. I've never seen a "rattler" on a hoochie before. Have you had success with it? I usually pull anchovies, but will also have a white hoochie in the water, as well as a few different spoons as conditions dictate.
If you're on the water after the 19th give me a shout on the VHF. My call sign is "Tamarack". I usually monitor 16 and the local calling channel. We're stating at the Island West Campsite.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 15 Aug 2014 15:35 #3

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Roger the Tamarack call sign... I respond to Go Aweigh... We are on the Coho ferry... Tight fit and soon tight lines!!!

Our friends will be camping there and we are in slip C 72 at Island West...

This message has an attachment image.

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 16 Aug 2014 03:50 #4

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Probably see you on Wednesday. Tight lines.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 19 Aug 2014 15:30 #5

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
We did better then the average fisherman yesterday... Landed four salmon two were king and two coho. I lost one as it danced on the surface but landed a nice 20+ king. That one danced twice about 100 yds off the stern... Took about 20 mins as she ran out three times after seeing the boat. Mike hit her three times with the gaf. Finally got her smack in the middle of the brain and she quit... Bled and put on ice 5 mins later... Today we hunt halibut...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 19 Aug 2014 17:09 #6

• TenMile
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
Just got back from fishing the area this past weekend. Had the boat parked in Bamfield since June 30th.

Had some good success fishing near the pinnacles between Sail Rock and Benson Island and then between Cree and Meares Bluff by Effingham. No huge numbers of fish this year, however, some very large fish including my personal best -- a 36lb slab! We found the top producer was the Coho Killer -- in Watermelon but Cop Car, and Silver also produced fish.

If you like Oysters, there is an oyster farm on Tsartus Island about 1mi from Robber's Passage on the Bamfield side of the island. Drive up to the dock by following the yellow markers. $20 gets you a bag with 48 oysters. Chuck them on the BBQ until they pop. Beer in hand, shake on the Tobasco and rejoice!

This message has an attachment image.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Last Edit: by TenMile.

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 20 Aug 2014 23:02 #7

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Looks good Terry... We fished protected waterns while the charters waited for their cliebts to start ralphing before heading back in... it was rough... we drifted for halibut but no keepers. Got to use my cheater stick (electric reel)... so that was a little easier... today we helped Mike and Anne move to a higher campsite and avoided a windy morning. Truck was moved to a transmission expert recommended by ford due to them moving to a new building,this week and not being able to look at it till next Monday... as far as oysters, we will harvest our own when we go prawning...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 23 Aug 2014 17:25 #8

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Had a double header and we caught up with a fellow BOCer Bob Hawes

.. He took off for his BC home this am and I got a photo as his son pulled him off the ramp.. Fishing is a little slow but if we want quantity, we could catch as many teeners as we want...
Attached Thumbnails

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 28 Aug 2014 01:14 #9

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Has some issues with the boat dropping into guardian mode so took it to Tofino 105 km away... They had it all morning and water tested It for almost an hour...

Well $400 later and they could not find the problem. They even water tested at 5k and on plane almost an hour. They had the $18k box hooked up and no faults... So we dunk it again and go fishing... 30 mins on plane, guardian kicks in... We did it several times so we stated out less then 5 miles and fished for a couple hours but I only caught a yellow eye and Mike caught a small king which will be dinner tonight. We pack tomorrow and head out Saturday with 3 fish oh and the bad news is the truck is still over heating. So I will pull Mikes small trailer and he will pull my boat... At the ferry, I will pay his boarding and he will pay mine... All works out...

I am greatful we had a good time and have great friends... Looking forward to next year and doing more fishing and less repairs...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 28 Aug 2014 02:33 #10

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Doug. It was a pleasure meeting you and Lea. It's always nice to meet someone in person that you've been corresponding with for a couple of years. I'm looking forward to next year.
Sorry to hear about your continuing mechanicals. What in the heck is a "guardian mode"? I'm thinking that it's similar to the "limp " mode that my diesel truck has. Thank goodness I've never experienced it!
Is it the truck engine or the transmission that's overheating? Mine was showing signs of doing that before we left, but changing the external filter on the transmission seemed to rectify the problem. I'm not sure if you have an external filter on your transmission. Do you have the added tranny cooler in front of your radiator? Make sure that it's not full of bugs or whatever. If you don't have the extra cooler, I'd add one.
Enjoy those fish!!

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 31 Aug 2014 13:24 #11

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
The engine is being fooled by a sensor, be it the oil pressure, temp, etc.

Or a bad connection at the sensor.

TenMile Oh how i miss them being that age.

One day they are watching Barney the next they are getting married.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 31 Aug 2014 20:55 #12

• TenMile
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
Funny Doug. Also had an alarm near the end of my trip just as we arrived at 10 MI bank. Engine guardian didn't kick in so I knew it wasn't major. Ended up being an IAC.

A mechanic with the Mercruiser scan tool should be able to read the history of the codes since last reset. They did that with mine and could see the IAC history and the live alarm as well.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Getting ready to fish Ucluelet 3 weeks in Aug/Sep 01 Sep 2014 02:45 #13

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

TenMile wrote: Funny Doug. Also had an alarm near the end of my trip just as we arrived at 10 MI bank. Engine guardian didn't kick in so I knew it wasn't major. Ended up being an IAC.

A mechanic with the Mercruiser scan tool should be able to read the history of the codes since last reset. They did that with mine and could see the IAC history and the live alarm as well.

That is what ticked me off. He used the computer tool from Merc and saw no recent fault codes but did see I had an over heat two years ago (that is when I changed over to the Johnson raw water pump)... He decided (on his own) to clear the history of the engine... frekin idiot... so now the engine has no history... no time as to how long it was at this or that RPM and for how long, etc... I spent over $340? for his ride on my boat doing almost 5K but as he said, not WOT plus the diagnosis...

I will bring my boat into the dealer that did the install of the 6.2 and let them play...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds