Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Downriggers on the 245

Downriggers on the 245 23 Jul 2014 00:58 #1

• barley35
  • barley35's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am the new owner of a 2006 Bayliner 245 cruiser. I am looking to attach 2 downriggers for fishing in lake Michigan. I am looking for some advise from current owners who may have a similar set up. I really only want two downriggers and do not want to have a board across the back. My thought is mounting either the downriggers directly on the gunwale between the attachment points of the rear canvas. I am thinking flush mount rod holders installed here and using gimbal mounts to attach the downriggers. Does anyone have a setup similar to this or suggestions or pictures. Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Downriggers on the 245 23 Jul 2014 01:05 #2

• plumbob98
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a 2655 and I used Bert's Custom Tackle tracks on the gunwale and it works great!!! I didn't want to have my down riggers permanently mounted for when I was on trips with the wife and kids, but when I'm fishing with the boys, I just slide the down riggers on the track and away I go. I also didn't want a board across the back of the boat either. Just make sure whatever you do, use big fender washes for backing! Hope this helps!!--Tim
The following user(s) said Thank You: barley35

Downriggers on the 245 23 Jul 2014 11:56 #3

• whatadeal
  • Thank you received: 8
I used traxtech mounting bases and mounted them to the gunwales, then slide the riggers in and out if I feel the need to remove them.

Also used the same system on the side gunwales and have triple rod holders installed in them.

Where are you located in Michigan? I have my boat up in Frankfort and your welcome to come take a look if you would like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barley35

2004 2452
USCG master 50gross ton
Last Edit: by whatadeal.

Downriggers on the 245 24 Jul 2014 00:16 #4

• barley35
I am a bit south of Frankfort. I have my boat at a marina in Grand Haven. Do you by chance have a picture? I am researching track systems. What downriggers do you use? I have used on a different boat both Big John and Cannon.

Downriggers on the 245 24 Jul 2014 06:17 #5

• TEAK
  • Thank you received: 1
Looking to mount two Elec/Scotty on my 1993 Bayliner 2655. Anyone have pictures would be great!

Downriggers on the 245 24 Jul 2014 10:21 #6

• whatadeal

Attachment Tabasconboat011.jpg not found

Not the best picture, but the only one I have at the moment. And it actually has the old Walkers on it.

I run Big Jon Brutes and have been very happy with them. I have had Cannons and Walkers in the past. The Walkers were very slow, the Cannons were OK but would not handle the 18 lb. weights.
You are always welcome to come take a look.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: M1098

2004 2452
USCG master 50gross ton
Last Edit: by whatadeal.

Downriggers on the 245 24 Jul 2014 20:59 #7

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Just curious as to why you need 18 lb. weights. You must fish either very deep or else in a lot of current.
I love the setup on your boat. Good dog!!

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Downriggers on the 245 25 Jul 2014 00:10 #8

• plumbob98
  • Thank you received: 2
If I get down to my boat this weekend, I'll try and get some pictures of mine mounted.

Downriggers on the 245 28 Jul 2014 14:49 #9

• whatadeal

bhawes wrote: Just curious as to why you need 18 lb. weights. You must fish either very deep or else in a lot of current.
I love the setup on your boat. Good dog!!

There are times I will fish over 100 ft down, and the bigger weights eliminate the blow back.

That's Tabasco, our Red Fox Lab. He loves the water.

2004 2452
USCG master 50gross ton

Downriggers on the 245 12 Sep 2014 04:34 #10

• M1098
Nice setup, I too am trying to decide on how to outfit a 2855 and the picture you have gives plenty visual ideas
cool dog name :P

Downriggers on the 245 12 Sep 2014 11:01 #11

• whatadeal
I highly recommend installing track system to install the rodholders or downriggers bases in. That way if you ever decide to sell the boat you can pull the equipment and install the rubber slide in pieces.

2004 2452
USCG master 50gross ton

Downriggers on the 245 13 Sep 2014 02:44 #12

• C300
  • Thank you received: 1
My 2150 Liberty (1979) came with a bonus ! 2 Big John Electric Downriggers. worth more than my boat & trailer ! Hadn't seen them since i was on the East Coast. think they are made near you. All Aluminum, and tilt up. Compact, store easy. Can't tell you how many times i leaned over to grab the line and almost went over with the Cannons ! (they are nice too, he got a hook! ) I like the Aluminum mounting plates too. Last forever, looks better than the black plastic. Mount 3-4 feet from the back on each side. Should be able to reach to lift the weight into the boat. I mounted a cup holder to do double duty. We broke a cannon swivel, almost lost the big dollar cannon. mine have to be 20+ years old. Quality. Good fishing, C300

Just saw Whatadeals. he mounted his further aft because he can go out on the swim deck.

1977 Bayliner 2550 Saratoga Volvo AQ225 280DP
1979 Bayliner Liberty 2150 Volvo AQ140 280
1968 15' Glastron V-153 Merc 800 Thunderbolt
16' Sidewinder, believe it's a Copy, free, no paperwork, no idea...
Last Edit: by C300.

Downriggers on the 245 15 Sep 2014 04:28 #13

• M1098

whatadeal wrote:

Attachment Tabasconboat011.jpg not found

Not the best picture, but the only one I have at the moment. And it actually has the old Walkers on it.

I run Big Jon Brutes and have been very happy with them. I have had Cannons and Walkers in the past. The Walkers were very slow, the Cannons were OK but would not handle the 18 lb. weights.
You are always welcome to come take a look.

Would you mind sharing on how the setup is working out for you, I too am trying to get something like your setup here. Are all the rods on your sides same size and any issues with divers... any input appreciated.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Downriggers on the 245 15 Sep 2014 11:41 #14

• whatadeal
The set-up works well. I am actually going to install longer treacking this winter to go all the way to the back corner and add another 2-3 rod holders per side. I run the riggers which are now Big Jon Brutes out the back (4-foot booms).
Then run a wire dipsey on an 8 foot roller rod in the farthest back holder, then copper setups of different lengths or lead cores in the next ones up off of boards.

Almost always net the fish out the back :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: M1098

2004 2452
USCG master 50gross ton

Downriggers on the 245 15 Sep 2014 11:43 #15

• whatadeal

C300 wrote: My 2150 Liberty (1979) came with a bonus ! 2 Big John Electric Downriggers. worth more than my boat & trailer ! Hadn't seen them since i was on the East Coast. think they are made near you. All Aluminum, and tilt up. Compact, store easy. Can't tell you how many times i leaned over to grab the line and almost went over with the Cannons ! (they are nice too, he got a hook! ) I like the Aluminum mounting plates too. Last forever, looks better than the black plastic. Mount 3-4 feet from the back on each side. Should be able to reach to lift the weight into the boat. I mounted a cup holder to do double duty. We broke a cannon swivel, almost lost the big dollar cannon. mine have to be 20+ years old. Quality. Good fishing, C300

Just saw Whatadeals. he mounted his further aft because he can go out on the swim deck.

Very rarely will I go out on the swim deck. I have cable retrievers that work extremly well.

And yes, Big Jon riggers are made in Interlochen, MI. About 30 minutes from where I fish.

2004 2452
USCG master 50gross ton
Last Edit: by whatadeal. Reason: added text

Downriggers on the 245 16 Sep 2014 19:02 #16

• barley35
Thanks for the pictures.
You have the hardtop version of my boat. It has a bit different space.
I spoke with the marina where my boat is at. They recommend using gimble mounts. I have 14 inches between the rear canvas mounts and could either run track or gimbles. I think I am going with big jon down riggers as they have the smallest footprint compared to cannon or walker. This will give me the option to run a dipsey and a downrigger with lead core down the cute for a total of 5 rods. Not ideal but ample for me for now. Eventually I want to add a radar arch and can add rod holders but that is a project for the future. I wish my dogs were behaved enough to fish with me ;)

Downriggers on the 245 16 Sep 2014 19:56 #17

• whatadeal
I would recomend staying away from gimbal mounts, I know guys that have lost downriggers because they came out of the holder. 14 inches is quite a bit of room.

2004 2452
USCG master 50gross ton

Downriggers on the 245 19 Sep 2014 05:14 #18

• Bernie
  • Thank you received: 3
The track system is a great setup to consider. Lots of options. I chose the gimbal mount system. When traveling we like a clean deck. I can put everything away fast. Have not had any problems. If you are looking for another option try Burnewiin inc. out of hood river Oregon . They're becoming popular in the PNW.

"MIRAGE"
1991 3288
Twin 150 hinos
Friday harbor, Wa.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds