Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shrimping with the Scotty Line Hauler in Puget Sound.

Shrimping with the Scotty Line Hauler in Puget Sound. 17 May 2014 16:01 #1

• mowhawky
  • mowhawky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all. Did some Shrimping a couple weeks ago and had a blast. The weather was lousy in the beginning but got better as the day went on. Started out by snagging someone else's pot on my out drive after the first set. I am very fortunate that my daughter saw the rope trailing behind us. I was able to real in the super heavy pot. Cut the line and get all the gear on board with no prop wrap up. I was very happy to find the guy who owned the pot. A lot can be said about writing a good contact number on your buoy. He was ecstatic that someone would actually return gear to the rightful owner and I was happy to oblige.

We fished for 8 hours with 2 pots and came close to getting limits for 4. It was so easy using the Scotty Line hauler. I am really glad I bought it. My 12 YO son had fun hauling the pots. I am getting bored with pulling pots by hand. Since I have the scotty now, it may be time to get a couple more pots! I got the line hauler from Sails Marine in Connecticut. It was the best price I could find.$458.75 Total.

Looking forward to crabbing this year!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/URL]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2000 2859 7.4 MPI Bravo II
M/V Kenny V. (In honor of my fishing buddy who is boating and fishing in a place where the water is always calm and the fish are huge.)

Shrimping with the Scotty Line Hauler in Puget Sound. 24 May 2014 19:07 #2

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice.
I tried for a couple hours and had no luck. I used the Kufa pots with about 24 pounds of lead and my Ace pot puller really struggled. And it was a PITA trying to keep the 400ft of leaded line from becoming a mess.
I think I'm sticking to crabbing.
What setup did you use?

Shrimping with the Scotty Line Hauler in Puget Sound. 26 May 2014 01:15 #3

• mowhawky
I used 2 types of pots. The old square type with the funnels and about 10lbs of weight and the newer style octagon pot with the entrance ramps and about 10lbs of weight. The second pot out fished the first 2-1. Bait was ground freezer burned salmon that a friend gave me from 2007. LOL! Mixed with some cat food.
I no longer use any lead core line because I like using double braid nylon. 1000' spools of 3/8 can be bought for $60-70 on the internet. It sinks and just falls right into a 5 gallon bucket and then comes right out when deploying pots. It also sinks so no worries there.

M/V Kenny V. (In honor of my fishing buddy who is boating and fishing in a place where the water is always calm and the fish are huge.)

Shrimping with the Scotty Line Hauler in Puget Sound. 26 May 2014 20:08 #4

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That's interesting. I was using new rolls of the leaded line and it came on a spool with a diameter of a couple inches, so that stuff had a mind of its own. After pulling the pots I towed just the line around to try and get rid of the memory, helped a little bit.

Shrimping with the Scotty Line Hauler in Puget Sound. 27 May 2014 02:58 #5

• mowhawky
Oops. I made an error in my last post. I am using 1/4 inch double braid nylon not 3/8ths.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds