Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help building halibut leaders

Help building halibut leaders 05 May 2014 04:54 #1

• Bigbluedriver
  • Bigbluedriver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone,

New to the board, I'm the proud owner of JohnQ's beloved trophy... Haven't dinged it too bad John ;)... I was trying to find some different ideas for building my own halibut leaders. I have used the pre-tied circle hook leaders with the 150lb mono on a spreader bar with some success but would like to have a few other options for different conditions. I like the tuna cord slider but can't find any tuna cord here local. If anyone has a link or a pic they would like to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help building halibut leaders 05 May 2014 05:08 #2

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
I make mine from 300 lb mono, 3 feet to a 3 way swivel (for the weight) then 3 more feet to the end. 10-16 ought circle hooks. Sometimes I add 8 inches of glow tubing next to the hook and always add a hootchie.
I prefer catching lings to halibut, better meat.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Help building halibut leaders 05 May 2014 11:24 #3

• knuckelbuster1
  • Retired and living life large!
  • Thank you received: 18
www.johnssportinggoods.com/wp-content/up...3/04/Halibut_Rig.pdf

Here is an example from Johns Sporting Goods, Everett, WA.

1992 4588 Twin 250 hp WO6-TI Hino
12.5 kw Northern Light OM843NW2
MMSI# 367650430
FCC Call sign WDH 7669

Help building halibut leaders 05 May 2014 15:09 #4

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5

Bigbluedriver wrote: Hey everyone,

New to the board, I'm the proud owner of JohnQ's beloved trophy... Haven't dinged it too bad John ;)... I was trying to find some different ideas for building my own halibut leaders. I have used the pre-tied circle hook leaders with the 150lb mono on a spreader bar with some success but would like to have a few other options for different conditions. I like the tuna cord slider but can't find any tuna cord here local. If anyone has a link or a pic they would like to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jason.

That example from St John's looks good, however on real rocky bottoms, I would not clip the weight to the spreader bar. I would short tie the weight with lighter mono, i.e., hang up, break off.

Upper Left Hand Corner -- Freshwater Bay
1995 2002 W/A Trophy
MMSI Number: 338070644

Help building halibut leaders 06 May 2014 22:16 #5

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Alaskanmutt wrote: I prefer catching lings to halibut, better meat.

Yes!
Halibut used to be my favorite, until I caught a lingcod last year. Headed out for Ling, Halibut, and maybe shrimp this weekend...gotta check the shrimp schedule.

Help building halibut leaders 06 May 2014 23:44 #6

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
Lings will be in July
Lime cilantro Ling tacos. hmmmmmmmmm

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."
Last Edit: by Alaskanmutt.

Help building halibut leaders 08 May 2014 19:41 #7

• Bigbluedriver
  • Bigbluedriver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks everyone for the tips. Picked up some 100 lb mono and some 9/0 Gamikatsu hooks, have a few spreader bars already, circle hook leaders, tuna cord sliders, 9" hoochies, and a buddy of mine is giving me a few halibut flies and pipe jigs he made.... I think I'll be alright this season ;)

Help building halibut leaders 08 May 2014 22:06 #8

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

JohnQ wrote:

Thanks,

Jason.

That example from St John's looks good, however on real rocky bottoms, I would not clip the weight to the spreader bar. I would short tie the weight with lighter mono, i.e., hang up, break off.

Yep... that is the way to prevent losing everything vice just the weight...

I also like round weights vice slugs like in the photo. I also paint them with glow paint I buy at fabric stores. Much cheaper and I only squeeze a thick glow coat on the top as the bottom gets dinged up anyway...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Help building halibut leaders 08 May 2014 22:12 #9

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:

JohnQ wrote:

Thanks,

Jason.

I also like round weights vice slugs like in the photo. I also paint them with glow paint I buy at fabric stores. Much cheaper and I only squeeze a thick glow coat on the top as the bottom gets dinged up anyway...

Do you want the fish to bite your sinker or the hook? Attraction is on the hook for the best results.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Help building halibut leaders 08 May 2014 23:37 #10

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

boatworkfl wrote:

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:

JohnQ wrote:

Thanks,

Jason.

Do you want the fish to bite your sinker or the hook? Attraction is on the hook for the best results.

LOL... When I was fishing with my friend for butts off the back of a 242, we used the same bait, same spreaders and same weights... mine were glow painted and I caught every butt that day... He caught none... we even switched sides...

Speaking of attracting... you all need to try using glycerin vice oil to mix your own butt attractant like pulverized butt pellets... oil will float up and the glycerin will spread out over the bottom where the butts are...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

Help building halibut leaders 08 May 2014 23:50 #11

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358
I use oily bait, for Halibut, herring or scrap salmon from the local processor..
I never have a problem catching as much as I can use or give away, butt then again I fish in Alaska, we only have a limit of 2 per day and 2 in possession, only 1 month is the season closed.
WA and OR are at the southern limits of halibut, Did you know that halibut spawn in Dec. in AK, and those tiny things flow with the current to the bearing sea area, then need to swim all the way back to where we catch them.
I would be tired too if I had to swim as far as WA and CA.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Help building halibut leaders 20 May 2014 04:17 #12

• Bay245
  • Thank you received: 14
Something we do fishing Kodiak for shallower low swing tides is add a large shrimp jig for the bottom weight on a single hook leader. I've never personally caught anything on the jig however def got more bites on the hook, and helped from catching Kodiak since the jigging wasn't so abrupt. I've also heard this is a great rig in case of lings.

Current:
2003 Newport, Merc 2 stroke 50
2008 F-18 Deck Boat, 5.0 alpha 1 g2
Previous:
2005 Bayliner 245 Ciera, 5.0 alpha 1 g2
2007 Bayliner F-17, 3.0 alpha1 g2
2004 Crestliner Canadian, Suzuki 60
Last Edit: by Bay245.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds