• Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Recreational shrimp fishery
opens May 3 in Puget Sound

OLYMPIA – Recreational spot shrimp fishing will open May 3 in Puget Sound under seasons announced today by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

This year’s Puget Sound shrimp fishing seasons are similar to those in 2013 with a few exceptions, said Mark O’Toole, a shellfish biologist for WDFW.
Puget Sound recreational shrimp season opening days are:

Hood Canal Shrimp District (Marine Area 12): Open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 3, 7, 10 and 21.
Discovery Bay Shrimp District (Marine Area 6): Open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on May 3, 7, 10 and 21.
Marine Areas 4 (east of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line), 5, 6 and 13 (excluding Discovery Bay Shrimp District): Open daily beginning May 3. The sport spot shrimp season closes when the quota is attained or Sept. 15, whichever comes first. The exception is Marine Area 13, which closes for spot shrimp May 31.
Marine Area 7 East, South and West: Open May 3 for a one-day fishery and will reopen May 7-10, May 21-24 and May 28-31. In Marine Area 7 West only, the season will be open daily beginning June 1 until the quota is reached or Sept. 15, whichever comes first.
Marine Areas 8-1, 8-2, 9 and 10: Open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on May 3 and May 7.
Marine Area 11: Open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on May 3, 7 and 10.

In areas 4, 5, 6, 7 (East, South and West) and 13, start times will be one hour before sunrise.

Additional dates and times will be announced if sufficient quota remains after the initial fishing days scheduled above. For the latest information on sport shrimp seasons, or for a description of marine areas, visit WDFW’s Recreational Shrimp Fishing website at wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/shrimp/ .

“We have slightly lower quotas than last year in Hood Canal and Discovery Bay, which are traditionally popular areas,” O’Toole said. “We will reopen the areas later if sufficient quota remains.”

WDFW is expanding the opportunity for shrimp fishing in Marine Area 7 West, which will be open daily beginning June 1 until the quota is reached or until Sept. 15, whichever comes first. That’s a change from last season’s schedule of Thursday through Saturday for the same time period. It is likely this area will be open for spot shrimp fishing well into the summer, due to an increase in allocation that was implemented last year, O’Toole said.

Also known as prawns, spot shrimp are the largest shrimp in Puget Sound and may grow up to nine inches in length. In all areas of Puget Sound, fishers are limited to 80 spot shrimp per day. A valid 2014-15 fishing license is required to participate in the fishery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shrimp season PNW 2014 29 Mar 2014 04:24 #2

• Drifter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
There's a season! Who Knew! :lol: Just kidding! Good luck catching the bugs! Save some for the raft up :>)

Mike &Ulla
2355 Bayliner SJ
Cowichan Bay,B.C
Casara Pilot
Photo Album

Shrimp season PNW 2014 29 Mar 2014 04:51 #3

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 233
OK, I have to ask...

How deep do you normally fish?

How many pots can you have in a set?

What kind of shrimp do you catch? How big are they?

How long do you soak the pots?

How many shrimp (in gallon ziplock bags full) can you generally catch?

Here in Alaska in Prince William sound...

Good shrimping is around 600' deep.

We fish 5 pots in a set.

Soak time is generally all day. For example you pull your pots in the morning, and in the evening. with 2 pulls per 24 hour period.

We catch spotted (larger) and stripe shrimp.

A good haul for us is five gallon zip lock bags full of shrimp (whole).

Our season goes from April 15th through August 15th. There is no limits or time period restrictions.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com
Last Edit: by ksanders.

Shrimp season PNW 2014 29 Mar 2014 05:02 #4

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
My question is what does "quota" mean?

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Shrimp season PNW 2014 29 Mar 2014 05:17 #5

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

ksanders wrote: OK, I have to ask...

How deep do you normally fish? 200-300'

How many pots can you have in a set? one per line

What kind of shrimp do you catch? Spot How big are they? up to nine inches

How long do you soak the pots? 45mins to one hour

How many shrimp (in gallon ziplock bags full) can you generally catch? We fit 15 per zip lock. Limit is 85 per license per day

We fish 5 pots in a set.

Soak time is generally all day. For example you pull your pots in the morning, and in the evening. with 2 pulls per 24 hour period. We can only shrimp starting one hour before sunrise to I think 3PM.

We catch spotted (larger) and stripe shrimp. Same here

A good haul for us is five gallon zip lock bags full of shrimp (whole). We cut the heads off and then zip lock them

Our season goes from April 15th through August 15th. There is no limits or time period restrictions. Our season sucks with 2 and sometimes 3 or 4 days in most areas. Southern areas are good all summer

We get two limits in about 2 pulls of two pots each license...

Our best shrimp bait is pellets blended with a can of mackerel and add additional pellets when on the water. We make the slurry so it is thick as mud and put in zip locks over night so it becomes thicker then clay by morning. Stuff the round cylinder bait holders and change them out when we pull the pot each time.

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.

Shrimp season PNW 2014 29 Mar 2014 05:56 #6

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 233

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:

ksanders wrote: OK, I have to ask...

How deep do you normally fish? 200-300'

How many pots can you have in a set? one per line

What kind of shrimp do you catch? Spot How big are they? up to nine inches

How long do you soak the pots? 45mins to one hour

How many shrimp (in gallon ziplock bags full) can you generally catch? We fit 15 per zip lock. Limit is 85 per license per day

We fish 5 pots in a set.

Soak time is generally all day. For example you pull your pots in the morning, and in the evening. with 2 pulls per 24 hour period. We can only shrimp starting one hour before sunrise to I think 3PM.

We catch spotted (larger) and stripe shrimp. Same here

A good haul for us is five gallon zip lock bags full of shrimp (whole). We cut the heads off and then zip lock them

Our season goes from April 15th through August 15th. There is no limits or time period restrictions. Our season sucks with 2 and sometimes 3 or 4 days in most areas. Southern areas are good all summer

We get two limits in about 2 pulls of two pots each license...

Our best shrimp bait is pellets blended with a can of mackerel and add additional pellets when on the water. We make the slurry so it is thick as mud and put in zip locks over night so it becomes thicker then clay by morning. Stuff the round cylinder bait holders and change them out when we pull the pot each time.

It sounds like you get some pretty good shrimping in your area!!

I wish we could get shrimp in 45 minutes. All we'd get is tired!

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Shrimp season PNW 2014 29 Mar 2014 06:07 #7

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
I fish 800 to 900 deep.
Use shrimp crack (pellets) abd cheap cat food. And that is another story.

Imagine me in the store telling the wife to buy the cheapest nastiest canned cat food she can find right next to a cat lover.

She started yelling at me at how cruel I was till I told her it was for bait.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Shrimp season PNW 2014 03 May 2014 22:22 #8

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Well, after a rough start. we limited out and were back in the marina by 12:30. We were all set to head out but the engine quit... Fuel starvation is what I figured abut could not figure it out why... till I checked the kicker fuel line and saw I had the valve turned on and not in the off position. My fuel splits between the main and the kciker so I can monitor the fuel burn through the fuel flow meter but sometimes the main will suck the kicker line dry and the engine will die... Two ways to fix, one is to open the fuel filter and refill with gas, shut the kicker gas line off and start. Second way is to run the kicker for 5 mins which allows the main fuel filter to fill automatically. I did #2 and we were on our way about an hour later then planned. I found the best shrimping between 150-200 ft with 300 and less then 150 ft worthless. Amazing since I hate dropping any lines over 300 ft anyway.. Also, my round pots beat my square ones by double the number of shrimp...

Plan on heading back out Weds but without the admiral... She had enough...

I think shrimp on the barbee tonight...

No photos of the shrimp but a couple while out having a ball...
Seattle skyline in the background...

the Admiral driving

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Last Edit: by Go Aweigh2452.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds