• Alaskanmutt
  • Alaskanmutt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
So,
Lots of halibut fishers here
and some shrimpers.

What set ups do you use?

I make leaders for halibut fishing (here in Alaska)
Mine are 6 feet long 300 pound test mono, barrel swivel at the top, 3 way swivel at the middle and the 6/0 to 12/0 circle hook at the end with 6 to 8 inches of glow tubing. Weight goes in the middle. I have also made some with a "spreader" set up made from the 300 lb test mono. I use a corkscrew attachment at the end of the reel line.

As for shrimping......

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."
Last Edit: by Alaskanmutt.

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 23 Nov 2013 03:59 #2

• Akcurry
  • Thank you received: 7
I use a similar shrimp setup with a danforth anchor first and a cannon ball after the string of pots. I find this works well to keep the currents from pulling then away and keeping the pots on the bottom. I like your flag that has to make finding them less of a chore.

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 23 Nov 2013 04:02 #3

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Yup, but I also have 2. 5 pound lead bars in each pot. ( made them myself)

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 23 Nov 2013 05:23 #4

• courtjester
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 28
I use my car and drive to safeway. Tells you what kind of fisherman I am.

Toni & Leila
Orting Washington

1992 Bayliner 4388
250 Hinos

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 23 Nov 2013 07:11 #5

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Yer funny....

Lol

Boatless at this time

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 24 Nov 2013 01:18 #6

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
The only problem with using hi test line is if you ever hook up on the bottom. I've got 120 lb test spider line which I had fastened directly onto my spreader bar. I then use stainless leader to my hooks. I hooked bottom once and could not break loose. I couldn't even break the 120 lb spider line. After about 30 minutes of hard labor, I finally managed to come off of the bottom. I have since put a short section of 70 lb test mono between my spider line and my spreader bar. My thinking is that I could break off the 70 lb test and lose my spreader bar, but I'd keep my 300 feet of main line.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 24 Nov 2013 01:24 #7

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

bhawes wrote: The only problem with using hi test line is if you ever hook up on the bottom. I've got 120 lb test spider line which I had fastened directly onto my spreader bar. I then use stainless leader to my hooks. I hooked bottom once and could not break loose. I couldn't even break the 120 lb spider line. After about 30 minutes of hard labor, I finally managed to come off of the bottom. I have since put a short section of 70 lb test mono between my spider line and my spreader bar. My thinking is that I could break off the 70 lb test and lose my spreader bar, but I'd keep my 300 feet of main line.

Bob, good thought on that. I do the same. I use 150# test and last time I had caught the state of WA, I actually was able to drag the boat back to the spot I got hung up on. Since then, I also add a stretch of lighter braid. I just don't recall what size at the moment but think it is also 70#... I also do not use mono for backing any more. I figure, if I do loose line, I don't want to return back to the slip because I ran out.... and the cost savings of using mono as a backing are not worth it... (ask me how I learned that lesson)... :whistle:

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 24 Nov 2013 01:44 #8

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355
I use 100 lb test Deeyma (spectra) but I use a lower test snap swivel when bottom fishing.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 24 Nov 2013 02:46 #9

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Yup. if I hand bottom I tie off to the boat and the drift bends the corkscrew swivel straight. Actually had a halibut to that too 5 years ago.

The heavy mono leader is mostly for the wear from the halibut, lingcod, salmon shark, etc.

Boatless at this time

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 27 Nov 2013 04:40 #10

• ALASKAN ADVENTURER
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 22

Alaskanmutt wrote: Yup. if I hand bottom I tie off to the boat and the drift bends the corkscrew swivel straight. Actually had a halibut to that too 5 years ago.

The heavy mono leader is mostly for the wear from the halibut, lingcod, salmon shark, etc.

I also do the 300 lb mono, but I use a heavy corkscrew that will not straighten. So I have lost $75 worth of spider wire. I think I will try a smaller corkscrew tied to my main line, makes a lot of sense to just loose the jig and leader or the weight and rig instead of every thing including the line. so if I loose a 200lb halibut so be it , I would let her go anyway
The following user(s) said Thank You: Go Aweigh2452

1988 3270
135 hinos
Seldovia ALASKA
KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
Marine canvas/Upholstery
since 1975

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 27 Nov 2013 04:46 #11

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

ALASKAN ADVENTURER wrote:

Alaskanmutt wrote: Yup. if I hand bottom I tie off to the boat and the drift bends the corkscrew swivel straight. Actually had a halibut to that too 5 years ago.

I also do the 300 lb mono, but I use a heavy corkscrew that will not straighten. So I have lost $75 worth of spider wire. I think I will try a smaller corkscrew tied to my main line, makes a lot of sense to just loose the jig and leader or the weight and rig instead of every thing including the line. so if I loose a 200lb halibut so be it , I would let her go anyway

Smart man... Besides, that size, the meat is not the greatest tasting... I like the chicken halibut size... 15-30#... (I will accept a 43# only because I did catch and I did not think it would live if I released...)...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 27 Nov 2013 05:24 #12

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Yup. Anything over 60 pounds or so and you have to start filetting the surface to get rid of the grainy meat

Any thing ober 40 and I either unhook or if to big I take small bolt cutters to the hook and snip um loose

Boatless at this time

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 27 Nov 2013 05:31 #13

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
40 is the heaviest halibut I like, but I think the 15/20 to 30/35 is prefered.
The best eating for fine grained texture and tender is 15-25.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 28 Nov 2013 00:47 #14

• rrdarby
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
courtjester

Why would you go to safeway and buy those products for $15 - $20 a pound when you could use your own boat and catch the same thing for $100/lb.????

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 28 Nov 2013 00:49 #15

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

rrdarby wrote: courtjester

Why would you go to safeway and buy those products for $15 - $20 a pound when you could use your own boat and catch the same thing for $100/lb.????

Because it is more fun and the fish is a bonus!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 28 Nov 2013 00:59 #16

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
Well, Safeway complains when I reel in the halibut from the fish counter in my underwear.

Dunno Why but they seem to be picky that way.

Boatless at this time

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 28 Nov 2013 01:00 #17

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska

rrdarby wrote: courtjester

And unless you have had still flipping fresh Alaskan coonstripe or spot shrimp cooked within minutes of being caught, then you just won't understand :)

Boatless at this time

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 28 Nov 2013 06:53 #18

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 136
Shrimp and crab.
I’ve spliced a 100 feet of lead line to my 400 feet of floating line. With plastic eyes spliced into both ends. With the lead line on top it keeps the line off the surface. For my floats I’ve made up poles out of PVC with fittings. I can take them apart and put line, poles and float all in a bucket. I use embroidery plastic canvas for my flags. Its semi ridged and stands out in the sea of pots. For my lead crab lines I’ve spliced plastic eyes in each end. I have 25’, 50’ and 100’ lines so I can adjust for the depth.

I’ve been catching halibut on jigs along with ling and others. I’ve used circle hooks and bait in Alaska. But in Canada I haven’t had much luck with the same rigs. Canada has changed the rules so you can’t keep the big ones. Not a problem, like everyone says the smaller ones eat better.

Nothing like a fresh chicken.

I take my 85 year old mother-in-law fishing with me. She’ll fish all day and loves it. She landed a 35 pound Butt this summer. But she sometimes snags the bottom.
I tried something new (to me) this year. When the jigs get caught on the bottom I get over it and wrap the line around a cleat and idle back against the current. The jigs pulled loose every time without breaking the line or losing the jig.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Go Aweigh2452

Last Edit: by Pacrimrat.

Halibut fishing and Shrimping setups 19 Dec 2013 05:13 #19

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 136
Finally got photos to post.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds