• Page:

TOPIC: help the cursed fisherman

help the cursed fisherman 11 Nov 2013 20:16 #1

• simbad
  • simbad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Ok, I admit it I am a crap fisherman. My wife always jokes we are cursed and never catch much.

Now I have fished all my life for fun, I can rig a rod etc. But I am no pro, or even semi pro. Never had a down rigger on the boat.

I am hoping as this is the first winter I have had a boat that isn't winterized that I could get out and fish but..

1) I have no idea what is in the sound at this time of the year.
2) best location to fish not far from ballard locks?
3) what set up to use on the rod (remember no down riggers)

(I am a great crabber if that redeems my creds at all !)

Note boat is just inside the locks (Seattle) at Fishermans Terminal (never fished the lake but if that's an option would do)

So any advice/pointers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

help the cursed fisherman 11 Nov 2013 21:06 #2

• Mileskb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I'm not a fisherman, but I do have some words of comfort for you I hope.

They call it "Fishing" not "Catching" so it sounds like you are doing just fine.

Aquatic Muse
Mount Vernon, WA
MMSI: 367498870
'79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

help the cursed fisherman 11 Nov 2013 21:16 #3

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126

simbad wrote: Ok, I admit it I am a crap fisherman. My wife always jokes we are cursed and never catch much.

Now I have fished all my life for fun, I can rig a rod etc. But I am no pro, or even semi pro. Never had a down rigger on the boat.

I am hoping as this is the first winter I have had a boat that isn't winterized that I could get out and fish but..

1) I have no idea what is in the sound at this time of the year.
2) best location to fish not far from ballard locks?
3) what set up to use on the rod (remember no down riggers)

(I am a great crabber if that redeems my creds at all !)

Note boat is just inside the locks (Seattle) at Fishermans Terminal (never fished the lake but if that's an option would do)

So any advice/pointers.

1. Blackmouth
2. Jefferson head or near the ferry dock on Vashon.
3. No downriggers: You can jig or mooch - I would jig in 90-100' of water during the day, or shallower depending on how choppy/bright it is. Be sure to use herring scent.

This video will give you some pointers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Riley454

Last Edit: by PugetMike.

help the cursed fisherman 12 Nov 2013 07:10 #4

• simbad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the advice.

Are the blackmouth out there now? And is there a date when they have passed?

Watched the vid, very helpful.

Last Edit: by simbad.

help the cursed fisherman 12 Nov 2013 17:46 #5

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
You need to "hook Up" with your local chapter of Puget Sound Anglers.

Upper Left Hand Corner -- Freshwater Bay
1995 2002 W/A Trophy
MMSI Number: 338070644

help the cursed fisherman 12 Nov 2013 17:58 #6

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
  • Thank you received: 50
People are fishing in Elger Bay, Camano Island, almost every day, weather permiting

help the cursed fisherman 12 Nov 2013 18:21 #7

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er

simbad wrote: Thanks for the advice.

Are the blackmouth out there now? And is there a date when they have passed?

Watched the vid, very helpful.

Blackmouth are resident, immature, king salmon - they are here year 'round.
The WDFW "holds back" some salmon in the hatcheries and plants them in the sound - they lose the urge to go further out to sea to make the big circle trip.

Check the regs for whatever the seasons are where you are fishing, but it is open now for most places. They have a minimum keeper size of 22', but there are far bigger out there.

I would avoid mooching - you will just catch too many dogfish. You can keep/eat dogfish - but you have to do a bit of prep work before they are edible.

I would suggest that you hire a fishing guide or go out with a relatively successful (fishing) friend - they can show you the ropes and get you catching instead of fishing. There are a lot of lame guides out there who are there for the tourists - so find out who Puget Sound Angler's suggests. Just make sure the guide can actually catch without using downriggers.

help the cursed fisherman 12 Nov 2013 20:50 #8

• simbad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Dogfish I have had some success with :-(
They feel like a fun bite, but then what a pain.

That's partly why I asked the question. I have had a little success fishing the sound and have even got Salmon at a really slow troll with one of those divers on to take the bait down. But it's not very effective and while I have tried jigging It has resulted in a lot of dogfish- I guess that's just a downside to it. Will keep trying.

Thanks again for the advice.
Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a downrigger !

help the cursed fisherman 12 Nov 2013 21:03 #9

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
if you are catching dogfish then you are moving way too slow(downrigger) or mooching with herring - you should not be getting dogfish with a jig.

If you are mooching - you need to get out of that area, dogfish are like an infestation and you need to get away from them.

If you are considering getting downriggers - make sure you can idle around 2.5kts - 3kts. Speeds faster than that will really reduce their effectiveness. Dont buy manual downriggers - you will regret it - go electric baby!

help the cursed fisherman 13 Nov 2013 01:39 #10

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
  • Thank you received: 50

PugetMike wrote: If you are considering getting downriggers - make sure you can idle around 2.5kts - 3kts. Speeds faster than that will really reduce their effectiveness. Dont buy manual downriggers - you will regret it - go electric baby!

+ 1 About the speed and the electrics. Since I bought electrics my doesnt complain about winding them up

help the cursed fisherman 13 Nov 2013 04:11 #11

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Downriggers for sure. +for electrics. = for long arms. Even if you get 1 for a start, your fishing success will start to change. Mount it on the starboard side close to the transom and you'll not have to start with the downrigger cable wrapped around your prop! A must though when downrigging is a good depth sounder. Those cannonballs are expensive, not to mention the lost stainless cable, terminal tackle, etc. Pay attention to what others are using and don't be afraid to ask what depth they're fishing. Leader length can be very important and relates to the speed that you troll at. I'm always told that I troll too slowly, but I seem to catch my share of fish.
I determined that my early salmon ran about $200/ pound. I'm thinking that I'm down to $15 now!!

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

help the cursed fisherman 13 Nov 2013 05:27 #12

• simbad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

PugetMike wrote: if you are catching dogfish then you are moving way too slow(downrigger) or mooching with herring - you should not be getting dogfish with a jig.

If you are mooching - you need to get out of that area, dogfish are like an infestation and you need to get away from them.

If you are considering getting downriggers - make sure you can idle around 2.5kts - 3kts. Speeds faster than that will really reduce their effectiveness. Dont buy manual downriggers - you will regret it - go electric baby!

Yeah sorry I meant mooching not jigging.

I'm not sure I can get my troll speed down even on one engine. I'm going to try jigging next time out. What depth should I aim for?

help the cursed fisherman 13 Nov 2013 06:13 #13

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
Ah - you are now getting into the mystical art of technique, reading conditions and doing the right thing based on quite a few variables.
I do not typically jig or mooch anymore - downriggers have stolen my heart.

I would suggest that you go to the library and check out a book or two on salmon fishing that works with the gear you are going to use.
There are also lots of youtube vids, www.salmonuniversity.com , and other internet resources. You need to discover what works for you and your equipment.

help the cursed fisherman 13 Nov 2013 06:26 #14

• hikepat
  • Thank you received: 4
Get a kayak one of the plastic ones and fish out of it instead of the boat if you are not using a downrigger. Lots of salmon in water to shallow to fish by boat. This time of year catch and release fishing can be fun on Sea Run Cutthrouts with a keeper salmon thrown in at times for some extra fun. Just remember the regs will not allow you to keep trout but they can be fun to catch and release year round and the Silvers are in the same waters. Look for beach areas with small rocks not large. The Trout will give you more action this time of year and each cast you just never know. A kayak can be bought new for $300 and can open up new worlds to explore in the salt.

Just want salmon for the grill get a wood Petz reel made in Canada filled with steel line and heavy rod troll with 3 lbs of lead followed by snubber, flasher and hoochie or yellow and white coho flie. Each turn of reel will put you one foot deep fishing. Look for fish on sounder and put the set up to correct depth. Not much sport but effective.

help the cursed fisherman 15 Nov 2013 23:11 #15

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Back in the late 60's and early 70's when they 1st planted COHO AND CHINNOKS in the great lakes, nobody knew anything about fishin for them. We just watched our depth finders, threw a lure with about 1oz of weight on it,as far as we could throw, and just putted along. We used the same rod's and reels we used for Walleye and Pike, of course as time went by down riggers, long rods, ETC. Check the local fishing forums in your area. During the fall and in the spring we fished river and creek mouths, along with power plant discharges.

A BAD DAY OF FISHIN IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY OF WORK!

Last Edit: by FISHIN00.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds