Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fished for stripers, blue fish and porgy's...

Fished for stripers, blue fish and porgy's... 28 Sep 2013 19:55 #1

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Took my final day before heading home from NY visiting my dad to go fishing with my nephew and BIL family.We departed Orient Point, LI NY (across from Groton CT) in a chartered a fishing boat to hunt for Stripe Bass, Blue Fish and Porgy's... Left home at 4:15 and arrived at 5:45 for a 6AM departure. Headed out in 3-4ft waves and commenced bottom fishing on a 5-6 kt drift for Stripe Bass. We limited out on stripe bass in about 2 hours and also caught our fair share of blue fish. Six of us went out, caught 12 Stripe Bass with me catching 5 of them... I also kept 9 blue fish of the dozen plus I caught (unknown number caught/thrown back since we threw 3/4 of them back). Bass were in the 10-15 pound range and blue fish were 8-14 pound. Porgy's were about the size of a Tilapia and I was told are excellent eating fish... I am bringing home about 30 pounds of filleted fish. Overall it was a great day. Sunshine broke through overcast skies and 70* weather...We started out with buck tail rigs and 16 oz weights for the strong current and 120 ft. We'd drift up a wall picking up fish along it... By the slack tide we were using 8 oz weights and at slack, we anchored and fished for the Porgy's and had lunch and beverages...Second photo is my nephew, third is my first blue fish of the day, next is the cooler with bled out fish and ice water and last is one of the buckets of stripe bass... Group shot was a "take a fish or two and stand there for a photo"...I got back to dad's around 4:30 and we made up two fillets of blue fish... Boy were they good. Used a recipe I had not had the opportunity to try on Blue fish for 30 years or so...Some photos of the day... (last photo had us just grab a few fish for a photo op...)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fished for stripers, blue fish and porgy's... 29 Sep 2013 07:35 #2

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Very cool! :arr We got nothing like that here. Hurry back! the Silvers are running strong at the moment!

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Fished for stripers, blue fish and porgy's... 29 Sep 2013 11:26 #3

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Very Cool!.....The Stripers should running down here in the St Johns in January....Planning to go after them.....quite tasty...and put up a fight!

Fished for stripers, blue fish and porgy's... 21 Oct 2013 13:52 #4

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
That's a nice boat load of friends and fish.

The striper are biting here like crazy. I'm going Friday or Sat. But if the kid will give me the day Friday " collage kid no classes on Friday " i said we will go Sunday again, i need a day to rest up.

He said his girlfriends father wants to go out with me. Never been fishing.

What says Ye, tie him to a cement block and send him on a Brooklyn vacation ?

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !
Last Edit: by Chief Alen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds