Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me?

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 10 Sep 2013 08:07 #1

• Mileskb
  • Mileskb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Some background...

I was born in 1958. When I was big enough to hold a pole (fishing pole you perverts, get your mind outta my pants) I went fishing. If it was big enough to make a snack, like cleaned, fried and put between two slices of bread, we kept it. Perch and trout mostly. Didn't really care what it was called... if it ate a worm, attached to a hook on my fish'n rod... it was a fish... hence it was to be caught, cooked and eaten.

In the mid-70's I was teen, started driving and as fishing was a just a "thing to do" I seemed to have better things to do and didn't pay it much attention... then spent 14 years in the Navy. No time to fish although others seem to like it.

So now we are up to the 90's and I think... hmmm fishing... so then I find I need a licence?? huh... ok.. well they even register bicycles in some places so that's not a problem... then "catch and release" what the hell??? In my mind, you catch, you eat... PERIOD !!! You don't want to eat, you don't catch... Now I live in Washington, and the first question people ask when they find I have a boat is "do you fish?"

Anyway... so I look at this page... http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/ and after a few minutes it's obvious... I'm never fishing.. Any hobby that has that many rules and regulations is called WORK.. For the record, I still consider myself a SCUBA diver, and I ride motorcycles and design websites, I tend bar, do catering, play multiple instruments and have owned my own professional recording studio, done construction work, installed carpet and rebuilt engines, none of that seems as complicated as fishing.

I hope no one takes offence to this post.. or the question.. I mean no harm... I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I know people.. If I want fresh fish, I can get it within a few hours and all I have to do is make a phone call. But for the life of me, I would be too nervous about catching the wrong fish, the wrong weight, the wrong age, the wrong color in the wrong place on the wrong day... That's just too much...

Last year, NOT fishing cost me a bunch of money.. I was going to take a couple friends fishing but ended up in the hospital the day before we were supposed to go. They had "a weekend" permit??? Which I obviously had to pay them back for as I cancelled the trip..

What am I missing ??? Is "going fishing" code for a secret strip club only accessible by boat?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Aquatic Muse
Mount Vernon, WA
MMSI: 367498870
'79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 10 Sep 2013 08:24 #2

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Miles,

Up pretty early for a rant aren’t you? Many of us have made the comment that you practically need a lawyer to interpret the regs here in Washington. Most places have gone the same way, especially on the salt. There is a steep learning curve but once you get it, you got it, for the most part.; linesnap

My best advice is to find someone who fishes and learn from them. There are also local websites, clubs, and magazines that cut the learning curve down quite a bit. IMO there are too many great eating fish here to just "not fish".
Dive in, but remember the water is cold…..and deep too.:getsmilie

Salmon and steelhead magazine

PSA fishing clubs located all over.

Salmon university on the web.

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 10 Sep 2013 10:07 #3

• shaw_2112
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
over on the east coast you can pretty much blame commercial fishing and pollutants dumping into the Chesapeake bay for devastating the fish population. Striped bass migration used to so huge you could catch them with your bare hands swimming down the beach. Now your lucky to catch a couple all season long. The rules suck but without them what would be left?

1986, Ciera Sunbridge 2550
5.8L Volvo Penta
270 Volvo Outdrive (soon to be 290!)

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 10 Sep 2013 23:55 #4

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 51
Its not as hard as it seems, pickup a pamphlet it is all color coded, and by area. Find your area then read the rules for that area. It is one page per area. Then at the beginning of the saltwater section (the blue tabs) you will find the general rules, scan them, the big thing to remember is to take a pair of pliers and crimp the barb on the hook closed. Then go to Johns Sporting Goods web site and download the maps he has online. If your mooching all you need is a rod a reel a weight and a leader with two hooks and a cut plug herring. Drop it over the side and start raising it up and down while you drift.

But be warned once you get started then you will probably be investing money in downriggers, fish finders, maps charts tons of gear, reading online blogs etc, etc. But it beats the heck out of sitting home and watching the grass grow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GCSitts

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 11 Sep 2013 00:14 #5

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

Mileskb;809812 wrote: So now we are up to the 90's and I think... hmmm

Doesn't it feel like you've been in the 90's for a loooong time?

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 11 Sep 2013 06:27 #6

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
They are a bit ridiculous here in Washington.
It's just a way to create more jobs. More regs, more fines, more jobs for fish and feathers.

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 11 Sep 2013 07:48 #7

• Mileskb
  • Mileskb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Well thanks for not beating up on me guys... I appreciate the response as the more time I spend on the water, the more the topic comes up.

As I mentioned, I have a source to get all the fish I need, most any time I want. I make a phone call, and it will likely be cleaned and ready to cook by time I get there. In fact if I wait too long he's liable to just cook it too.

I guess it's somewhat embarrassing to realize what crappy stewards of this planet we have been... which as someone pointed out is the main reason we have to have these rules and regs..

Anywho... thanks for the info.. It's at least good to know I'm not the only one who thinks there are a lot of rules. I'll leave the fishing to those that know what they are doing.

Aquatic Muse
Mount Vernon, WA
MMSI: 367498870
'79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 11 Sep 2013 08:12 #8

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I find it more gratifying to recline on the aft deck with a frosty-cold adult beverage, while enjoying the mild smoke off the BBQ as my bodacious wife grills a pair of fine steaks for the evening repast. (No room in the rod holders anyway, umbrella, BBQ and cocktail table fill all three...)
No license required.:arr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garchar

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 11 Sep 2013 08:12 #9

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Mileskb;810079 wrote: As I mentioned, I have a source to get all the fish I need, most any time I want. I make a phone call, and it will likely be cleaned and ready to cook by time I get there. In fact if I wait too long he's liable to just cook it too.

If you have a source to provide Salmon, Lincod, and Halibut whenever you want it then don't go fishing.
Even if you buy at the grocery store halibut is only $19.99lb. By my estimate the halibut I catch is somewhere around $300.00 lb.:arr

Wayne

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 13 Oct 2013 21:36 #10

• 24ciera
  • Thank you received: 1
Fishing is for people who like to have fun out on the water. Sure, you could go to the local market and buy your fish. It's just not the same as telling your friends that I caught this fish. You just need to get your license and a regulation book with pictures and study it very well. When you are confident about what you have read, launch your boat, and go fishing. I have been fishing for over 50 years and never regretted one day of it. Take the leap, go fishing and enjoy yourself. Keep a tight line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garchar

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 13 Oct 2013 22:02 #11

• Jerms
  • Thank you received: 2
tips up!

1979 25' Saratoga Mercruiser 350.
1980 26' Explorer. Live aboard. Re-power next year.
Still learning, please excuse my ignorance. Cheers!

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 25 Jan 2014 15:42 #12

• captkenrea
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Mike, I hear ya mostly. I am saddened that in all the years of catching Sturgeon on the Columbia, those days are long gone. As of Jan 1, 2014 Sturgeon are catch and release only. Maybe they will make a comeback in a generation or two, one can hope.

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 25 Jan 2014 15:58 #13

• bobsyiruncle
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Fortunately our marina has a ten year old kid that loves to fish and is pretty good at it. Nobody bothers him for a license and who would charge a ten year old anyway? Of course, once in a while he might decide that a fish should not be catch and release because it won't live. I think next year I might just decide to help him determine what goes back and what doesn't.

3888 with Hinos

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 25 Jan 2014 17:12 #14

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355
Both Washington and Calfornia for years had such liberal limits and multiple hooks that they decimated the rockfish population, I remember seeing boaters on TV that were bringing up 4+ fish at a time, now it is payback time.
Even in Alaska we can only use 1 pole and up to 2 hooks per person, it's been that way for many years, those non pelagic rockfish (the pretty ones) are 1 per day 2 in possession, in most areas, it is a well managed fishery.
Even the ling cod season does not start until 1 July because of nest guarding by the males.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 26 Jan 2014 08:22 #15

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Most states don't require a 10 year old to have a license.

Wayne

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 20 Apr 2014 14:14 #16

• Dutchpirate
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
Thankfully, it seems, the regs are not quite as stringent here in Alberta, Canada. There was even a glitch in the regs that allowed barbed hooks to be used. Since I catch and eat as well, that works very nicely for me. Foreign resident licences are $71 for a year (free under 16 years old). Hoping to take a soon to be aquired 1804 to a lake just 2 hours away where record setting trout and burbot have been caught (48 lb trout in 2009!). BC has some pretty epic fishing as well. Not sure how Lake Koocanusa is managed as it straddles the border between BC and Montana, but that might be a good destination as well.

There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats

1989 Cobra 1810 "A-Lure"
1998 Force 120hp

Medicine Hat, AB

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 20 Apr 2014 20:34 #17

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
I just ask my buddy at the end of the dock to get me a nice big walleye which is by far my most favorite of any fish. He takes off in his boat, anchors, dives with his spear gun and brings up a meal for 4 in a couple of minutes. Darn, the fish is almost still moving when it hits the skillet. Yum, Yum.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 07 Jan 2015 06:06 #18

• GCSitts
  • Thank you received: 2
Without putting too fine a point on it, fishing ain't about fish. Suggesting that buying fish is a preferable vicarial substitute for fishing reflects a sad commentary on Mike's view of the sporting life.
I was hunting, fishing and trapping about a decade before Mike. We had rules then. We took pride in learning and following those rules. We were taught that the rules were primarily for the protection of the future of the sport. You don't shoot doe. You don't keep small fish. You wait anxiously for the various seasons to open. We knew the limits and sizes and areas and seasons by heart.
We didn't need fishing licenses until we were fourteen or sixteen; getting that first fishing or hunting license was a rite of passage.
Some of my best life memories involve sitting in a boat or standing in the cold over a hole in the ice, fishing. First with my mom and dad, then with my daughter and wife, now being included when my son-in-law arranges special trips.
I don't remember whether we caught anything, but it was all wonderfully memorable.

I know we now live in a world of six second sound bites, but really the specific rules aren't that hard. One page, maybe two. Two minutes. Read it twice. By the third time you'll be the expert.

Fishing ain't about fish... if you have trouble understanding this, ask that kid on the dock whether he'd rather buy the fish than be there fishing.

WHITE EAGLE
Berthed at Moore's Riverboat Marina
Isleton, CA
1989 Bayliner 3888

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 10 Jan 2015 16:47 #19

• Foster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "Quo Vadimus" 1993 4588
  • Thank you received: 166
Sorry about being late to the discussion, we were out fishing.

The Admiral, two of our sons and I went out on a 1/2 day charter. Fished the reefs just outside of Key Largo. We had a great day. Everyone had the excitement of catching fish. Between us we caught 10 different species. A very cool day. Except for the two huge keepers it was all "catch and release" We were there to have the excitement of fishing and fully expected to not bring anything back. So it was a bonus, but when you look at it from a "food" plan, it ended up being a $400 fish dinner :rolleyes:

I'm quite happy to go out and have the excitement of fishing without the fish dinner.

Yep, my Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 10 Jan 2015 16:56 #20

• Four Pyrates
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 145
We used to charter for the day (12hours or so) and bring back 400-600 pounds of fish. We had the deck hand clean them, cut them up, and 6 of us took our share home, leaving a 7th share for the deck hand plus his tip. With all the limits (2 whole red snapper) and harassment here, screw it. We don't waste our time or money on it anymore. The fish captains aren't getting near the charters either. It costs about $1500 to run a 55-65ft charter for 12 hours plus you got to pay the crew and the boat payment and the upkeep, so a $4000 charter isn't all that big a payday. For TWO FRIGGIN FISH??? We never fished for trophies, just grouper, amberjack and a red snapper...FOOOOOOOD. GOOOOOD FOOD.

Last Edit: by Four Pyrates.

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 10 Jan 2015 18:30 #21

• PugetMike
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • PS'er BS'er
  • Thank you received: 126
This is not a 21st century thing - it is 150 years of federal meddling thing.

Basically, we have lawyered ourselves to a point that we have to check a freaking website before every trip, fill out catch cards, and have college kids wandering around boat ramps with metal detectors.
All of the stupid fishing rules we have are engineered so that the commercial and tribal nets get their quota. Much of the commercial(tribal) netting is done right before the fish enter fresh water - so all fishing done before the fish get there is made stupid to insure the commercial catch.

Now we have the 'wild fish' crowd chanting about closing down hatcheries - fishing in WA is going to continue to get more and more restricted.

Last Edit: by PugetMike.

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 10 Jan 2015 20:49 #22

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

Fish-a-Palooza wrote:

Mileskb;810079 wrote: As I mentioned, I have a source to get all the fish I need, most any time I want. I make a phone call, and it will likely be cleaned and ready to cook by time I get there. In fact if I wait too long he's liable to just cook it too.

If you have a source to provide Salmon, Lincod, and Halibut whenever you want it then don't go fishing.
Even if you buy at the grocery store halibut is only $19.99lb. By my estimate the halibut I catch is somewhere around $300.00 lb.:arr

I want to try some halibut fishing this year I have never done it. The problem is if you blink the season is over.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 11 Jan 2015 03:13 #23

• jmcajmca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Are there season limits for salmon in Oregon, Washington and Alaska? In California during the 7 to 8 month seson you can have a bag limit of two fish per person per day. I know some recreational fishmen would go out three times a week with four people on the boat. They are good and do catch the limits frequently. They do have an impact on the fishery much like a commercial fishman. Obviously they are against any season limit. I thrink some regulation such as a seson limit is needed to prevent over-taking of the specie by a small percentage of agreesive recreational fishmen. Good regualtions are designed not to interfere with the majority of people but are aimed to control the few outliners for the protection of the resource for everyone to enjoy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GCSitts

1986 2850 Commend Bridge
A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit
San Francisco Bay Area
Purchase the boat in 2005

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 11 Jan 2015 15:05 #24

• Drifter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
You have to go fishing......Just try to tell the wife you are going out in the boat all day to drink beer with your friends and see where that gets you... :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptUgly, GCSitts

Mike &Ulla
2355 Bayliner SJ
Cowichan Bay,B.C
Casara Pilot
Photo Album

Can someone explain fishing in the 21st Century to me? 11 Jan 2015 20:20 #25

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355

jmcajmca wrote: Are there season limits for salmon in Oregon, Washington and Alaska? In California during the 7 to 8 month seson you can have a bag limit of two fish per person per day. I know some recreational fishmen would go out three times a week with four people on the boat. They are good and do catch the limits frequently. They do have an impact on the fishery much like a commercial fishman. Obviously they are against any season limit. I thrink some regulation such as a seson limit is needed to prevent over-taking of the specie by a small percentage of agreesive recreational fishmen. Good regualtions are designed not to interfere with the majority of people but are aimed to control the few outliners for the protection of the resource for everyone to enjoy.

They did this with halibut in Alaska with the charter boats, captain and crew cannot fish while chartering.
In Area 2C (Southeast Alaska):
Commercial catch limit (after deducting wastage): 3,318,720 pounds
Charter fishery one-fish daily bag limit with a "reverse slot limit." Charter anglers may only keep a halibut that is less than 44 inches or greater than 76 inches in length.
If halibut are filleted at sea, the carcass must be retained onboard until landing.

In Area 3A (Southcentral Alaska):
Commercial catch limit (after deducting wastage): 7,317,730 pounds
Charter fishery two-fish daily bag limit: one any size / one less than or equal to 29 inches total length
Trip limit for charter vessels: vessels are limited to one charter halibut fishing trip in which halibut are retained per calendar day (if no halibut retained, vessel may take an additional trip to catch and retain halibut that day). Applies to vessels only, not charter halibut permits.
If halibut are filleted at sea, the carcass of the halibut that is less than or equal to 29 inches must be retained onboard until landing.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds