Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: trolling with a 4788

trolling with a 4788 22 Aug 2013 12:46 #1

• Trillium
  • Trillium's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings!

My wife Kim and I just got our "new" 1999 4788 and enjoy learning all about how it works. We have had many different "fishing" boats (our last was a 32' Worldcat), but it was time for the wife to have a nice home on the water.

My question is, has anybody tried trolling while cruising the outside between ports? I also plan to anchor it and float some bait off the back.

Tight line and fair seas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kim and Alois
Trillium - 1999 "4788"
Charleston, SC

trolling with a 4788 22 Aug 2013 14:02 #2

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
I fish with my trawler. Salmon are my main target which means slowing way down. I have downriggers off the back and can get the speed down to around 1.5 kts by running on one engine only. My port motor idles a bit lower than the starboard which helps too. Offshore fishing would be even easier when the speed is higher. You can troll tuna at 6kts - 8kts all day long.

trolling with a 4788 23 Aug 2013 13:51 #3

• Trillium
  • Trillium's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

SomeSailor;804962 wrote: I fish with my trawler. Salmon are my main target which means slowing way down. I have downriggers off the back and can get the speed down to around 1.5 kts by running on one engine only. My port motor idles a bit lower than the starboard which helps too. Offshore fishing would be even easier when the speed is higher. You can troll tuna at 6kts - 8kts all day long.

Being on the east coast, tuna would be high on my list. I like the idea of using downriggers instead of "out riggers" like I did on my previous boat.

Thanks for the input, I look forward to my next off shore cruise.

Tight lines, Alois

Kim and Alois
Trillium - 1999 "4788"
Charleston, SC
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds