• Page:

TOPIC: Just back from Haiga Gwaii

Just back from Haiga Gwaii 21 Aug 2013 22:44 #1

• TrophyTroubles
  • TrophyTroubles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Best fishing year I've ever had up there. Got myself a 32lb Chinook to go along with a bunch from 25-30lbs. Coho's were nuts, we would drop a lure in the water beside the boat and 2/3 would attack it at the surface. It got hard to get down to the Chinooks in the last week. Ling Cod was crazy stupid; I think we pulled in about 6 or 8 in the 22lb range. We also shook off many in the 10lb range. Crabbing/Prawning good as always with us bringing home our limit in both. We were there for the totem pole raising; 1st raising in 130 years. It was 44ft tall and lifted manually into the hole. My brother in law was taking all the pictures and is giving me a disc. I will post pics once I have them in my hand.
Everybody on the South Island be ready because if they are not already there big Chinooks are on their way! Halibut rules have the guides fuming at the DFO and Commercial guys. They have had to toss back quite a few of oversized halibut already which isn't making for good moods with the customers on the guide boats. We were ah lucky and only took two small ones early without wasting a bunch of fuel looking for them but the ling more than made up for the halibut.
The marina was very slow this year as people must be holding onto the dollars but it made more room and fuelling very easy. I went deer hunting with a local friend and we bagged a small buck in about 10 mins. Hunting is hardly difficult there and they are allowed a 15 deer annual limit. One of my buddies was very lucky and got to go on a plane tour around the southern island. They were doing an aerial krill survey and had two seats available (free), he's lucky I didn't hear about it before him. He said he saw quite a few whales and said he couldn't believe all the different colors the water is around the Islands.
Some day I hope to see a fellow BOC member in Haida Gwaii ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Garner
Leaning on the wheel of the "Shamahawk"
1991 Bayliner 3288, Hino 150's Shamahawk III

Just back from Haiga Gwaii 21 Aug 2013 22:53 #2

• TenMile
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
Sounds like a great trip. Did you drag your own boat there or use guide services exclusively? Where did you stay?

I've fished there myself twice. Once in about 1994 with OBMG and we stayed on an old survey vessel with 13 staterooms on the wild west coast of the island. Had our own aluminum centre console with a "fishmaster" out on the water helping via VHF. Caught so many fish it was amazing. Did another trip there about 10 years ago at Peregrine lodge -- nicer accommodations but fished in a small whaler and didn't like that as much.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Just back from Haiga Gwaii 22 Aug 2013 21:52 #3

• TrophyTroubles
  • TrophyTroubles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
I stay on my boat when out on the west side and at my friends place when in Sandspit. I am presently looking to purchase a place in Sandspit and if I get the one I want I will be renting out the extra building to whoever (probably fishermen).
Yes I drag my boat up from Calgary annually 17hr drive and a 8hr ferry crossing. It basically takes two days to get there but we cross on the evening ferry getting much needed sleep and reducing the cost of a motel for a night or sleeping in the boat.
It is a trip of a lifetime if you have your own boat and plenty of time. There is so much to explore and do, the place is a boaters paradise during summer months in the PNW.

Garner
Leaning on the wheel of the "Shamahawk"
1991 Bayliner 3288, Hino 150's Shamahawk III
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds