• Page:

TOPIC: Pink-a-Palooza has begun!

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 21 Aug 2013 08:56 #1

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Fish-a-Palooza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Well it looks like the rain we had, has started to bring the Pinks in. Lot's being caught between Mukilteo and Browns Bay.

I was going to launch the Trophy into Lake Stevens to tweek the new Furuno radar setup and pull the wheels off the trailer to get a look at the brakes....... but maybe not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 23 Aug 2013 09:57 #2

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well that was easy! 6 in the bag by 8:30 am and 2 more before 10:30 am for a limit of 8. Two doubles, all pinks, probably lost 8 to 10.

My son is back from the Navy and this was his first time fishing in the salt. We dropped the lines in the water at 7am and within 5 minutes the 1st one was on, got it to the boat and it wrapped itself around the rigger line I was too lazy to bring up and was gone. That first hour was fast and furious. Then we wasted about 45 minutes trolling in the wrong direction, finally pulled gear, ran back to mulkiteo and started over.

Needless to say; nets flying everywhere and lots of boats, but not too crazy where we were. I'm thinking Saturday will be a zoo.:arr

Wayne

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 26 Aug 2013 22:35 #3

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 51
Saturday was a Zoo and hardly worth the effort. We got one at shipwreck spent hours on it. Then ran to the west side and nailed a nice Coho and two more pinks. They are moving into the rivers. I watched them go by the dock at Dags for hours on Sunday with guys on the river catching. Finally gave in and made a few casts from the boat. Landed one, had two more on but a seal was working the river and stole both of them. One of them right at the boat. I saw him coming and then take the fish and there was nothing I could do.

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 27 Aug 2013 07:28 #4

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well when we went I believe it was the 1st wave. It's been very dry this year so I think they have been sitting out in the big water waiting for a sign. We are getting some more rain now so we should see more in a 5 or 6 days. 6 million projected so I'm pretty sure it ain't over just yet.:arr

Wayne

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 27 Aug 2013 12:44 #5

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
I used to work up at Harbor Point (directly above the Shipwreck) and once the seiners show up for the pinks it's over as far as the run goes. If the pink salmon is high enough for them to justify the fuel they'll knock a hole in them. The silver by-catch penalties are stiff too so they're trying to stay ahead of them arriving in any numbers. We'd watch them lift humpies out in seins the size of a house about every 45 minutes or so. :(

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 27 Aug 2013 16:55 #6

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah from the radio chatter it was Lummies out Saturday and people were not happy with it. Three boats that started in Browns Bay and worked north all day. One was still out around 4 when I came in.

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 27 Aug 2013 23:49 #7

• playdoughted
  • Thank you received: 15
Fish-a-Palooza - you could well be right. Talking to the manager of our marina yesterday and he was telling me that there is a huge run of late pinks up off Port Renfrew right now. Don't know if they're heading for the Fraser or Puget Sound rivers. They'll make for alot of fun fishing. A little rain should start them moving. Ted

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 28 Aug 2013 01:31 #8

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We've got rain headed in and the rivers will be hopping with pinks. Should be some nice silvers in soon too.

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 28 Aug 2013 15:26 #9

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The creel reports show a increase in Pinks out in the straight so perhaps they are still coming. Also a few more Coho but nothing big. I think everything is running late this year compared to other years.

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 28 Aug 2013 16:53 #10

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
From the NOP PSA Email Chain, . . . . .

Received the following reports over the past 2 days. The fishing reports come out of the Port Angeles area. Folks are fishing N and W of the end of Ediz Hook from the pilot circle out into the separation zone and out west by the yellow PA buoy.

Hit some nice migrating coho today, even starting to get their hook nose. Only 2 clipped out of 6. clipped were 8 and 11 lbs., wild were at least 10lbs. Still lots of pinks, but we didn't keep any. and...plenty of "shakers." These were feeding fish- everything was working, hootchies and spoons, greens and whites, the fish just had to be around and they would hit. Also got a 9lb clipped king in 500ft of water, 95 on the DR. All of the coho came from 80-95 ft on the DR.

Bob K was out there- he got 2 coho (as well as the usual boatload of Pinks) but he said his coho were small- like the ones we were getting at FWB- most likely "resident" vs. full migrants - difference in the meat FWB coho very red, like Sockeye, ours today were lighter, more herring and squid eaten. Don Hatler was out there - he shouted over that he had 4 coho??

Had a coho and pink with tails chewed, most likely seals- saw more of them out there today.

The sea lion is around, too. Got the following narrative and pictures…

Get this! Our last fish was attacked be a huge sea lion. I grabbed the pole and reeled as fast as I could. The fish and the sea lion were both on the surface. They came right up to the transom. I reached down and grabbed the flasher and yanked the salmon on board. You should have seen the look on the sea lion. He was really pissed. He was only 3-4 feet from my hand. He managed to get a couple of teeth marks on the salmon. Then he circled the boat 3 times. If looks could kill, I would be a goner.

Upper Left Hand Corner -- Freshwater Bay
1995 2002 W/A Trophy
MMSI Number: 338070644

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 29 Aug 2013 09:45 #11

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
John, You back on the water? :arr Is any part of that report part what you did?

Wayne

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 29 Aug 2013 16:02 #12

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Fish-a-Palooza;806695 wrote: John, You back on the water? :arr Is any part of that report part what you did?

:sorrow: Probably NOT this year, Butt (to coin a Fishin' Phrase) :rofl3 Definitely Next Year!!!!! Gettin' around now with a Quad Cane & my Wheeled Walker, the plan is to use the walker less and less. Don't tell MrsQ or the Physical Therapists ;) but I have walked very short distances in the house by pushing the walker ahead of me (out of reach), then (w/o the cane) walking to it :getsmilie It is getting better and better :arr

1995 2002 W/A Trophy

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 29 Aug 2013 18:01 #13

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Good to hear John... We are heading out tomorrow to slay some crab and maybe a salmon...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 30 Aug 2013 11:28 #14

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

JohnQ;806779 wrote: :sorrow: Probably NOT this year, Butt (to coin a Fishin' Phrase) :rofl3 Definitely Next Year!!!!! Gettin' around now with a Quad Cane & my Wheeled Walker, the plan is to use the walker less and less. Don't tell MrsQ or the Physical Therapists ;) but I have walked very short distances in the house by pushing the walker ahead of me (out of reach), then (w/o the cane) walking to it :getsmilie It is getting better and better :arr

Good to hear! Hopefully you'll be back to full speed before Halibut next year.:arr

Wayne

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 30 Aug 2013 15:35 #15

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Dat's Da Plan :arr Butt :arr My Main Goal is to walk (with Quad Cane) out to my 40 foot Diesel Pusher motorhome (1997 Safari Serengeti), Climb the 6 steps up to Driver's?cockpit area, fire Da Beast up (Cat 3126E motor), drive out to US101/I-5 and absolutely TERRORIZE Prius's ;)

1995 2002 W/A Trophy

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 02 Sep 2013 14:21 #16

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Took some relatives out yesterday and had lots of action. Limited out on pinks with fish jumping everywhere, all day.:arr

Crabbing sucked however; First, some how one of my pots came up missing again and in the same place out in front of picnic pt. The remaining 3 gave up 2 legal dungies and 2 rock crab. Mostly I released females. I never seen so many females before, I guess the males must have gone deeper.

Wayne

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 05 Sep 2013 23:47 #17

• SurfaceIntvl
  • Sean
  • Thank you received: 2
Just passed the shipwreck on the Sounder train like I do every morning and afternoon at this time (4:45). There are pinks jumping all over the place, but there are also seiners working the schools. Early morning they're everywhere. Not sure what tomorrow will look like now that the nets are out.

Sean O. Stanwood, WA

Surface Interval, La Conner Marina
1991 2556 Command Bridge
Mercruiser 5.7
SEI SE116 Drive

"Divers live for bottom time. All else is Surface Interval."

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 09 Sep 2013 02:40 #18

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Went out Saturday had SS along and we boated six pinks. I had a coho set up on but still caught pinks so the Coho are not here yet. I heard some talk on the radio about some Coho but I still think they are further out yet. Did anyone here fish the Edmond's derby? Or hear what the results were?

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 09 Sep 2013 03:35 #19

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, the pinks were definitely still there. I just finished vacuum bagging the last of it as a matter of fact. Thanks Paul. We'll have to go chase some silvers next.

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 09 Sep 2013 06:43 #20

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

NWCruiser;809457 wrote: Went out Saturday had SS along and we boated six pinks. I had a coho set up on but still caught pinks so the Coho are not here yet. I heard some talk on the radio about some Coho but I still think they are further out yet. Did anyone here fish the Edmond's derby? Or hear what the results were?

Derby weighed in 395 fish so the Silvers are in but with the huge amount of Pinks still roaming around....you see the problem. My theory still is, due to the lack of rain this summer the Pinks were delayed; which means they are now running with the Silvers. Don't wait for the Pinks to disappear or you may miss the Silvers.:arr

Wayne

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 09 Sep 2013 14:40 #21

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Any insight as to where they picked up the silvers? Frm what I could gather from the radio it seemed like they were out further double Bluff and, Lagoon point and further?

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 10 Sep 2013 07:13 #22

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Right out on Possesion Bar is what I'm hearing.

Wayne

Pink-a-Palooza has begun! 10 Sep 2013 12:52 #23

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We saw loads of pinks, but not any silvers. Lots of boats up near Double Bluff as Paul said. Lots of fish out there though.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds