Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Swim Platform and Fishing Cooler -- 2012 Discovery 266

Swim Platform and Fishing Cooler -- 2012 Discovery 266 24 Jun 2013 19:16 #1

• mph6625
  • mph6625's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Well... If one wants to take up considerable space in the cockpit of one's Discovery 266, one can place the cooler there and use it as an additional seat. HOWEVER, that is not an option. Mounting on swim platform isn't really workable either, as it is a LONG reach from the top of the stern to the lid of a 72-quart (that's U.S. quarts!) cooler. Coupled with the fact that the cooler's lid latch sits against the stern, it becomes a near-impossibility to open.

What I am considering is taking my old 72-qt cooler, removing the lid, then "nesting" the bottom
of the new cooler into it. Dry run at home seemed to work... It should get it up high enough
and be stable enough once strapped in; my only concern is the aft grab rail. I plan on using woven locking straps (like what you see for battery hold-downs) that don't stretch -- then using a strap/bungee cord combination to secure the thing to the swim platform.

Any comments?

I'll post pictures if it works.

//mph6625
"Last One"
2013 Discovery 266

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swim Platform and Fishing Cooler -- 2012 Discovery 266 24 Jun 2013 19:23 #2

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
I have seen a cooler on table top of starboard on top of stainless steel legs holding it up to gunwale level on some boats...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Swim Platform and Fishing Cooler -- 2012 Discovery 266 24 Jun 2013 22:31 #3

• TrophyTroubles
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
+1 to Doug's observation. A stand can be made light and using the right materials withstand the elements. It should be fastened securely to the platform a with the cooler fastened as well. I use small aluminum turn buckles to fastened my cooler to the swim platform.

Garner
Leaning on the wheel of the "Shamahawk"
1991 Bayliner 3288, Hino 150's Shamahawk III

Swim Platform and Fishing Cooler -- 2012 Discovery 266 25 Jun 2013 23:22 #4

• TenMile
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215

mph6625;789974 wrote: Well... If one wants to take up considerable space in the cockpit of one's Discovery 266, one can place the cooler there and use it as an additional seat. HOWEVER, that is not an option. Mounting on swim platform isn't really workable either, as it is a LONG reach from the top of the stern to the lid of a 72-quart (that's U.S. quarts!) cooler. Coupled with the fact that the cooler's lid latch sits against the stern, it becomes a near-impossibility to open.What I am considering is taking my old 72-qt cooler, removing the lid, then "nesting" the bottomof the new cooler into it. Dry run at home seemed to work... It should get it up high enoughand be stable enough once strapped in; my only concern is the aft grab rail. I plan on using woven locking straps (like what you see for battery hold-downs) that don't stretch -- then using a strap/bungee cord combination to secure the thing to the swim platform.

There is another option. Cooler Bag -- aka "Kill Bag". These things are fantastic!!! I have this one from Westmarine . I have it set up so that it hangs off the back of the transom and when full rests on the swimstep. Zipper is up top so easy to plunk a fish into it (or get a beer out). They don't leak and have a large pocket at the bottom so will hold ice for several days. They also roll up like a sleeping bag and can be stuffed away for storage. There are also places online where you can have them custom made to fit an access hatch and I've seen guys do this. IMHO, they are much better than a cooler and hold way more fish.Here's a pic of the bag full after a day on the west coast last season:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds