TOPIC: Shrimp season 2013

Shrimp season 2013 22 May 2013 21:22 #1

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Well, look like our Spot shrimp season is ending as of today with a slim possibility of one more day... I missed the first of three days total this year but limited out both days we went out. Just got back in and got our 80 shrimp per license by 9:30 and were back in by 10:30... two pulls...

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shrimp season 2013 22 May 2013 23:57 #2

• LilHonu
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice catch! I was able to go on opening day in Hood Canal, had 5 licenses on boat only was able to get 3 limits. We'll be trying again this weekend out in Marine Area 6.

'11 245SB 5.0L Bravo III

Shrimp season 2013 23 May 2013 02:34 #3

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Fresh caught today Spot Shrimp dinner... marinated in virgin olive oil, crushed garlic and placed on a hot BBQ with alder smoking in a tray on the side for 3 minutes. Placed on top of sticky rice... AWESOME...

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shrimp season 2013 23 May 2013 02:42 #4

• baylineguy
  • Thank you received: 18
Are you saying that the shrimp season only lasted 3 days this year? Are the indians entitled to 95% of the catch now or what?

1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Shrimp season 2013 06 Jun 2013 03:30 #5

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Last of four days for shrimp here for 2013... yep that is it...

Well, we left Manchester, WA on the Olympic Peninsula across from Seattle at 6AM and got to the NE corner of Vashon Island. Very few boats... I could see a ton of boats across from Des Moines however... After an hour soak, we had the lowest count ever from both pots... 16 shrimp. Headed around to Covos Passage and headed toward Gig Harbor. Outside of Quatermaster harbor we set both pots and an hour later had one limit +. We headed to Gig Harbor for lunch at Tides Tavern then back out to drop both traps again... That is when my day went south... I was in 230 ft of water, dropped one pot with 300 ft of leaded line and 15# weights plus two bait containers. Moved about 100 yds away to another 230 ft depth, same set up on that trap as well. As I threw the float out for the second trap, I looked and could not see the first trap. I asked Lea to quickly turn back to the last trap as I see it go under. We were too late. Both traps got sucked down by the currents... On the surface, we had zero wind and a .3 kt drift... I suppose the under currents were too much.

Lea said this last haul of shrimp was an expensive one... yep... it was... Dinner was tasty tonight however... I am sure someone will snag the line as there were dozens of salmon fishing boats out there. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a call and pay a finders fee... maybe not... Lesson learned... coves only from now on...

Great day on the water anyway.

Attached files

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shrimp season 2013 07 Jun 2013 00:49 #6

• fishaman
  • Thank you received: 24
Doug, can you go back to that spot sometimes during the tide change?

Several years ago I had similar experience with the crab pots on the west side of Possession bar: dropped 4 pots, and no floats were visible one hour later. Came back the next day at slack, and picked up all four pots with foam floats wrinkled from high pressure under water.

Much worse case happened this Memorial Day weekend when we were shrimping next to Protection island. I used large round buoys as floats, and it looks like they floated 2 of my pots away to the depths where they will never show up. Bye bye two fully rigged pots...

Alex
1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Shrimp season 2013 07 Jun 2013 02:11 #7

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
I have no idea where they will end up. I would assume they are heading under the Tacoma Narrows bridge... I have contact info on the pots and would definitely offer a reward... I figure I am out about $250+ in gear... I think $50/ trap would be my offer if I get the call...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shrimp season 2013 12 Jun 2013 23:17 #8

• TrophyTroubles
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
That Sucks!
I really do feel for you Doug as it's hard enough just finding the little buggers and then to have such a short chance to get them.
You are probably better off buying them at the wharf if you don't get your gear back, that is unless you really enjoy hunting and trapping them down.
I'm very lucky to have a spot where I go that's open my whole time I'm out fishing.
TOO DAMN EXSPENSIVE TO LOSE GEAR OR HAVE IT RAIDED!

Garner
Leaning on the wheel of the "Shamahawk"
1991 Bayliner 3288, Hino 150's Shamahawk III

Shrimp season 2013 14 Jun 2013 13:54 #9

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Go Aweigh2452;785231 wrote: I have no idea where they will end up. I would assume they are heading under the Tacoma Narrows bridge... I have contact info on the pots and would definitely offer a reward... I figure I am out about $250+ in gear... I think $50/ trap would be my offer if I get the call...

I got one of my lost shrimp pots back Tuesday. The Coast Guard called (my # was on the yellow foam buoy) and said they found my pot wrapped around one of their propellers. I went and picked it up. Yellow foam buoy was all wrinkled, the big inflatable buoy was fine, the netting needs to be repaired or replaced. Looks like it got drug around.

Shrimp season 2013 14 Jun 2013 14:27 #10

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Did they send you a bill?

I just ordered 56 pounds of lead and will start over again next season...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shrimp season 2013 14 Jun 2013 14:34 #11

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Nope, no bill. They said it is a common occurrence.

Shrimp season 2013 15 Jun 2013 11:57 #12

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53

Go Aweigh2452;787345 wrote: I just ordered 56 pounds of lead and will start over again next season...

There you go Doug. I have heard it recommended to use at least 30 lbs in each one.:arr

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Shrimp season 2013 16 Jun 2013 19:20 #13

• TrophyTroubles
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
I use old 4" pipe flanges tie strapped to the bottom of the trap, it's cheap and works great.

Garner
Leaning on the wheel of the "Shamahawk"
1991 Bayliner 3288, Hino 150's Shamahawk III

Shrimp season 2013 23 Jun 2013 01:46 #14

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 137
I was crabbing up by Saddlebag. A guy was pulling his post a couple hundred feet away. He yelled and asked if we had a pot out in that area because he picked up a line with his. He said the line was going off in my direction. I said no. He separated it from his rig and through it back. As he was picking up another one of his he asked if I knew there was a float under my swim platform.

We had been anchored all night. I looked under and sure enough there was a crab float. It took me an hour to get it free. The float had worked its way over the prop shaft in front of the strut. Working from my inflatable, I could pull the pot up to the bottom of the boat but it wouldn't fit between the bottom and the shaft. I finally got a boathook on trap and pulled it back the other way. I had to cut the line to get it free.

I called the number on the float but know answer. So I retired the line and float to the pot and was going to talk it away from my boat and put it back in but I noticed two guys going from float to float. I yelled Hey Bob, (name on the float) the guy looked up and me and I asked if he was looking for a pot. It turned out to be his and he put it in about a mile and half from where I was anchored. 75 foot line and no weight in the trap. It moved off into deep water and found my prop shaft.

Doug,

I’ve had my floats disappear with the tides and currents. I retrieved them when it was slack and low. It’s sounds like you have lots of weight so maybe the pots are holding and the line is pulled down. It should pop back up when the conditions right.

Chris

Shrimp season 2013 23 Jun 2013 03:19 #15

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
75 feet of line? Wow. I have that much between my shrimp pots. But I also drop them in 750 feet of water.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds