Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Halibut 2013

Halibut 2013 16 May 2013 16:21 #26

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 66

Fish-a-Palooza;778009 wrote: I know they suggest mono for the leader but I tie off right to the spreader bar with 60 lb braid. I have lost very little gear but then I also don't drag the bottom. I did get hung up once when we shallowed up and eventually I was able to get it free once we backed past the snag but I couldn't tighten the drag enough to break it off.

What I had was the 80# braided main tied to the spreader, cable leader off of the spreader with a power grub with a single hook, then a 4' drop line of mono to the lead head with herring zip tied to it. And it gulped the lead head/herring combo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Halibut 2013 17 May 2013 00:33 #27

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
We got hull wet by 9 and fishing by 10 and back in by 3PM... nothing. Our buddies got out by 8 and bcak to the slip by 10 with a 167# butt and 120# butt. We are following him tomorrow...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Halibut 2013 17 May 2013 01:07 #28

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 352

Fish-a-Palooza;778010 wrote: As much as I would like one, I don't fish halibut enough to justify the $600+ expense to get one.:arr

A 2 speed reel helps a lot, I have 2 shimano's a TlD 30 and a 50, the 50 looks large but the handle and gearing maks a easy job on a halibut, a big halibut.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Halibut 2013 19 May 2013 20:47 #29

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
We spent three days looking for butts in the Straits of Juan de Fuca outside of Port Townsend, WA... got rocks, urchins, and a star fish... Lost several spreader bars, weights and lures... Next year... Anyway, a friend of mine, Spud and his wife Kathy were better at catching...

Here is a photo of Spud's 157# butt and Kathy's 120#er... Oh, it was Spuds birthday that day. The next day was Kathy's and she caught and harpooned her very own 65# butt. Spud has a special room set up for the Puget Sound Anglers (or anyone else that wants to wander in)... The sign was made up by Spud... and is above the special room inside Doc's Marina Grill...

BTW, the two butts were caught on whole herring with a white glow octopus hootchie over the herrings head. I think the 65#er had a blue and white hootcie on top of the herring. So get those hootchies and get fishing...

We had a great time in the Liars Lounge after each day of fishing. Spud has done a nice job setting up the room with leather chairs and flat screen TV. He plans to install a bigger flat screen sometime int he future. Great place to gather and have fun. Oh, the food was awesome in the Doc's Marina Grill at the tip of the Marina overlooking Admiralty's inlet... Best sliders at happy hour too.

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Doug ;}
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Halibut 2013 20 May 2013 09:00 #30

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Fish-a-Palooza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Doug, were you fishing with Spud on FishtalesII?

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Halibut 2013 20 May 2013 14:32 #31

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

Fish-a-Palooza;779985 wrote: Doug, were you fishing with Spud on FishtalesII?

No, had my own boat up there. We only fished two hours on Saturday due to electrical gremlins again but I know whats up and will fix them today. We fished in his area only on Thursday but it was after the bite... No one else caught fish that day and some locals were out for 11 hours... So I did not feel too bad...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Halibut 2013 20 May 2013 17:12 #32

• LilHonu
  • Thank you received: 0
My original plan was to go to Pleasant Harbor this weekend and motor up to Marina 9 each day to fish for halibut and lingcod. However after charting the routes and watching tides/currents, the best times to fish are either early morning or evening. With at least a 90 min motor each way to and from PHM, I've decided to look into staying up near Port Townsend or John Wayne Marina. This way I can also shrimp in Marina Area 6 ;)

I'm looking for recommendations on which place to moor for the nights we're there; 5/23 through 5/27. I enjoy calmer sleeping water i.e. Pleasant Harbor is super calm in the evening, I sleep like a baby. On the reserve end of the spectrum when we sleep on the Columbia River, I sleep maybe 3 hours a night if I get lucky. John Wayne looks pretty protected and Port Townsend Boat Haven marina looked pretty good as well but maybe not as protected as John Wayne.

My kids are really into amenities... They love PHM due to the pool and country store for ice cream. I know there isn't a pool at either marina but is there a store close by where they can get some treats after dealing with mom and dad fishing all day? :)

'11 245SB 5.0L Bravo III

Halibut 2013 20 May 2013 17:23 #33

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA

LilHonu;780100 wrote: My original plan was to go to Pleasant Harbor this weekend and motor up to Marina 9 each day to fish for halibut and lingcod. However after charting the routes and watching tides/currents, the best times to fish are either early morning or evening. With at least a 90 min motor each way to and from PHM, I've decided to look into staying up near Port Townsend or John Wayne Marina. This way I can also shrimp in Marina Area 6 ;)

I'm looking for recommendations on which place to moor for the nights we're there; 5/23 through 5/27. I enjoy calmer sleeping water i.e. Pleasant Harbor is super calm in the evening, I sleep like a baby. On the reserve end of the spectrum when we sleep on the Columbia River, I sleep maybe 3 hours a night if I get lucky. John Wayne looks pretty protected and Port Townsend Boat Haven marina looked pretty good as well but maybe not as protected as John Wayne.

My kids are really into amenities... They love PHM due to the pool and country store for ice cream. I know there isn't a pool at either marina but is there a store close by where they can get some treats after dealing with mom and dad fishing all day? :)

Port Townsend would be my pick for stuff with the kids. They have three ice Cream stores in town which is a short two block walk past a town skateboard facility so if they are into skateboard parks, bring them. Elevated Ice Cream is the first one on the way into town. Home made ice cream and they have Gelato as well. Take a number as you walk in...

Doc's Marina Grill at the end of the marina (water side) has awesome food. happy hour prices are great for a lot of stuff too. There is a "Liar's Lounge" for fishing people to visit. Nice room and Spud has done a great job getting it outfitted. The sliders are awesome and so are the scallop sliders. Bathrooms are first class and they have free wifi at the marina... You may have to share a slip but that is never a problem as they are wide if you get inside and have to drive around the outside boats on the same slip.

Only problem is it costs $7 to reserve a slip and its non refundable if that matters. Cost me $56 with power for two nights for a 25 ft boat. Quick access to the straits... call now to see if there is any room. If not, Boat Haven is a good alternative but a longer walk to the town. You will launch at Boat Haven anyway. I buy a yearly pass for $40 and it means free launchings and parking for as long as I want... I normally do two or three weeks and never had a problem... Boat Haven has gas and at the gas place they have halibut gear and bait. Henry's Hardware across from boat haven near Safeway also has fishing gear. Safeway gas is at Boat Haven as well if you want to fill up before launching...

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Halibut 2013 20 May 2013 17:56 #34

• LilHonu
Ah so Boat Haven doesn't take reservations when I spoke on the phone with them just now, but the regular Port Townsend does? I'd much rather have the res because we will be coming in late on Thursday.

Thanks for the tips!

'11 245SB 5.0L Bravo III

Halibut 2013 21 May 2013 05:12 #35

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 51
Point Hudson marina is the one Doug is talking about they do take reservations. Boat Haven is not bad they have a long linear dock and rent out private slips also. If you get a slip you have if for as many nights as you are staying. It is further away from town but they have a good BBQ and some other places close and the Safeway and McDonalds are across the street. It's not as nice as Point Hudson but it is OK

Halibut 2013 21 May 2013 07:57 #36

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Pt Hudson marina is always my 1st choice 360-385-2828.I’d really be surprised if they had anything available but don't let that stop you because you never know. I haven’t stayed at boat Haven, but I have fuel up there and as already stated; Safeway, West Marine and other places are available to shop.

I have only fueled up a John Wayne as well but I have heard they will take reservations a few days out 360-417-3440. That puts you close to Protection Island, Dallas Bank, Dungeness, and others which if the theory of Halibut migrating back out to the big water West holds true, John Wayne may be a better, closer starting point. Unfortunately I don’t know what’s in town there.

If all else fails for moorage, Sequim State park is further in the bay past John Wayne on the right and has a boat ramp, a dock to tie up to over night and a few mooring buoys; you didn’t used to need reservations for the dock or the buoys.
Oh yeah, there is a great oyster bed at Sequim State park. The upcoming minus tides should expose that very nicely.:getsmilie

Wayne

Halibut 2013 21 May 2013 17:31 #37

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Out to Olson's marina Sekui!

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Halibut 2013 21 May 2013 18:02 #38

• LilHonu

Ruffryder;780472 wrote: Out to Olson's marina Sekui!

I was thinking about this place, my buddy is going to Van Riper. How is the water in the marina for sleeping on the boat? I was told NOT to sleep on the boat due to potential for people getting sick in the swells, and needing a place "off" boat. If the marina isn't calm, there could be an issue...

The biggest thing for us is we've never halibut fished before nor have we ever been farther north in Puget Sound, only ever been in Hood Canal. So I was looking for a good spot to not only try our luck fishing but just a good place to hang out in case of sea sickness. My plan was to motor up to Dallas Bank from Townsend, looks to be about 11nm.

Was also going to try our luck at shrimping while in Marine Area 6...

'11 245SB 5.0L Bravo III

Halibut 2013 21 May 2013 18:21 #39

• Ruffryder

LilHonu;780484 wrote: I was thinking about this place, my buddy is going to Van Riper. How is the water in the marina for sleeping on the boat? I was told NOT to sleep on the boat due to potential for people getting sick in the swells, and needing a place "off" boat. If the marina isn't calm, there could be an issue...

The biggest thing for us is we've never halibut fished before nor have we ever been farther north in Puget Sound, only ever been in Hood Canal. So I was looking for a good spot to not only try our luck fishing but just a good place to hang out in case of sea sickness. My plan was to motor up to Dallas Bank from Townsend, looks to be about 11nm.

Was also going to try our luck at shrimping while in Marine Area 6...

One of the best sport fishing destination in the world I believe.
Marina water is usually calm, whenever I stayed out there. Their rental boat is a plain 12' fiberglass dingy w/ 15HP outboard, so you can get an idea.

93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Halibut 2013 21 May 2013 19:04 #40

• LilHonu

mrhutt30;776868 wrote: I have actually been anchoring quite a bit more lately, however it is generally when the current is running, or the wind is out and I head for shallow water. With a bigger boat the drift is usually faster and I get turned sideways while drifting and without underhulls the boat just tosses everyone inside.

With the 3 day adventure last week the first two days were nothing but drift with not even a bite (unless you count the dog fish). On Saturday I anchored for most of the day and had 3 on, but unfortunately lost them. I like drifting as I fell like I am covering more ground, but anchoring is quite relaxing - no tangles, no catching your gear in the rocks, etc.

How shallow of water are you anchoring in? Thanks!

Argh, this is so annoying, I can't decide where to stay :(

'11 245SB 5.0L Bravo III

Halibut 2013 22 May 2013 23:58 #41

• LilHonu
The admiral got tired of me not making a decision so she booked us one of the last slips available at Point Hudson. Probably the best choice for our family with close access to shops and ice cream. Considering the weather reports I'm seeing we may be indoors more than out.

'11 245SB 5.0L Bravo III

Halibut 2013 23 May 2013 03:44 #42

• green650
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'll be trying for some butt this weekend. Maybe shrimp too. I think they are still both open in area 7. I was thinking of hitting Alden Bank and then staying somewhere by Sucia/Matia.

Halibut 2013 23 May 2013 23:16 #43

• pugetsounder
  • Thank you received: 12
Vid of friend/co-worker from last saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFKbicWGlzQ

He was out on his cousin's boat. I gave him a bit of crap for using a trout rod to fish for halibut but it was all in fun. He said it was only rod left on the boat as he was a last minute addition to the trip. Luckiest rod if you ask me. Nice fish. Almost makes me want to get back into fishing again!

1981 Bayliner Explorer 2270
"Slow Boat to China"

Halibut 2013 24 May 2013 00:01 #44

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Nice catch... no matter what the rod, he did good!

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Halibut 2013 24 May 2013 17:02 #45

• Ruffryder

93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Halibut 2013 24 May 2013 17:46 #46

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
Jealous... big time!!!

Doug ;}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Halibut 2013 24 May 2013 18:04 #47

• Ruffryder
Haha I know that feelling

93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Halibut 2013 24 May 2013 18:31 #48

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 51
Nice fish, now you have to send a private message to us telling us all the details on where and how you caught it. :D

Halibut 2013 26 May 2013 11:53 #49

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We cancelled our reservations at Pt Hudson and the Halibut outing mainly due to the extreme tides and went to the coast for a few days and stayed at Grayland Beach State Park. This was our first time razor clam digging and we had a blast. Minus tides and lots of shows so it was easy to get our limits. Friday was pretty nice weather and we hit the beach at 5 am. We had dug 30 clams (2 limits) in about 45 minutes.

On saturday we hit the beach at around 7 am, it was raining and the beach looked like a war zone, there were hundreds of people and thousands of holes. Still we dug another 30 clams in about 30 minutes and were out of there. Turns out we liked using clam guns a lot better than a shovel.

Attached files

Wayne

Halibut 2013 26 May 2013 17:22 #50

• beachbum1
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello from Victoria. weighed this one 38lbs off of victoria.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/781831=37701-halibut fishing Oct.7th 2013 005 - Copy.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Proud owner of 1992 bayliner trophy model 2002wa with original 175hp two stroke Mercury.:arr
Gets me to the fishing grounds everytime!
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds