Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trolling with a Bayliner 175

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 29 Apr 2013 16:17 #1

• NYfinatic
  • NYfinatic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Traded in my fishing boat when my kids got older for a 2011 Bayliner 175. Last summer, my sons and I built a removable platform in the bow for a 55 lbs. thrust trolling motor so we could jig for lakers in the Finger Lakes. Jigging was ok, but I want to start trolling for lakers and not add anything that is permanent, such as rod holders. I think I can add a removable platform to the back seats so I can add 4 rod holders. The problem is there is also no way to easily mount a kicker motor to the transom and the trolling motor does not move the boat enough on windy and choppy days to troll effectively. I am considering using my I/O (Mercuiser 3.0) with Amish Outfitters Buggy Bags to slow the troll down. My question is if I run the I/O at trolling speeds for long periods of time is this going to effect performance of the I/O, for example plugs fouling. Also, if anybody is using the I/O for trolling, let me know your experiences with it.

Or I could just get a divorce and get the boat that I really want.:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 29 Apr 2013 18:11 #2

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
I troll with my 4.3 all the time for Pike. Just keep an eye on the temp as it will likely begin to creep up over 15 to 20 minutes. All I do is run the RPMs up around 800 and it cools right back down for another 15 minutes. It's not ideal but works. Went out yesterday PM and it never went up at all. 46F water doesn't get so hot I guess:D.
I'm going to look at a nice old 1950's 14' aluminum this afternoon . Then I can go poking around in the weeds like all the other fishermen and save the big boat for the windy stuff.

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 29 Apr 2013 18:25 #3

• NYfinatic
Thanks for the tip on the temperature. I would have never thought of that. I might have to do a test run to see if my temperature spikes while trolling before I start buying equiptment. If I have to stop every 10 to 15 minutes to cool the I/O down, it may not be worth trying this. Might give me another reason to convince the boss that we need a different boat.

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 29 Apr 2013 18:37 #4

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
I just goose it up a little bit for maybe 30 seconds seconds then it goes back down you might try that and see if you can get away with it. the theat things no big deal its real slow so got lots of time to play with it. I'm talking 175F

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 29 Apr 2013 19:28 #5

• NYfinatic
Thanks. I guess I will have to do test run and see if temperateure is an issue at idles speeds. I did some research today on temperature and trolling and it seems to be an issue with some I/O's. Since all boats are diiferent, the only way that I am going to know if this is a problem for my 175 is to go out and troll for a long period of time and see how my boat does with speed and temperature.

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 29 Apr 2013 22:18 #6

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373
why don't you just add a 3.5HP 4-stroke on a Garelick mounting plate? At $950 that's cheaper than wearing out your main motor and is a good emergency pusher in case you have issues. With a 4-stroke you can use the same gas tank.
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-3-5-hp-MFS3-5BS.html At 41lbs it won't weigh down the stern to much either.

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 30 Apr 2013 10:49 #7

• NYfinatic
Thanks for the reply kjs. I have a 4 stroke 6HP on my aluminum boat that I could use as a kicker. I may have to revisit the kicker motor idea. I like some of the Gaelick kicker mounts. I just wish the 175's transom wasn't so curved as it makes it difficult to install a kicker mounting bracket. I am also not sure if i want to drill into my transom on this boat if I decide to to trade it in a few years.

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 01 May 2013 02:36 #8

• kjs
just leave the bracket on and declare it a feature: future owner can install a trolling motor......
I know the feeling about drilling holes but one day it has to happen. Just do it right and paint the holes inside with Epoxy and insert the bolts bedded in 3M 4200. A 6HP might be a bit heavy but you can compensate with load in the bow.
I'm lucky, have the old style hull which is straight at the stern......

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 02 May 2013 04:09 #9

• WillieWallie
Just buy an engine mount trolling motor... $400 to $600 for a good size one

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 04 May 2013 04:06 #10

• kjs
these are electric, not good for ocean...... He needs something stronger.
The electric engine mount ones have pro's and cons. The con I like the least is that you have to have the outdrive all the way down. Not good where I boat......

Jürgen

Jürgen's boating library

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 04 May 2013 23:38 #11

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
unfortunately the transom on the Capri does not let you use a commercial mount...I had this made for mine:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 05 May 2013 14:08 #12

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Here's a picture of my 5hp long shaft on the back of the boat,

Trolling with a Bayliner 175 01 Aug 2013 19:52 #13

• Slinger
I know this post is a little old (just joined the forum) but I have a 175 I have been contemplating creating a kicker motor mount that would sit down where the swim ladder goes. That way I wont have to drill holes and I can swap the mount for ladder depending on what we are doing that day.

I was also debating about the smart Tabs with the trolling feature. I don't personally know anyone that uses them but the online reviews are good.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds