Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best trolling rig and set up

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 06:21 #1

• Jim Gandee
  • Jim Gandee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 181
If a guy was to motor around the San Juan's at 5-7 kts. What type of a trolling rig would the experts suggest he drag around behind the boat and what might be caught? I have a couple of older poles and a large ocean spinning reel. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 09:20 #2

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
I don't think anything will work at that speed. You need to slow down to 3-4 MPH GPS or 2-3 knots to fish for salmon, not much else to go after while trolling the Puget Sound.

Go to salmon university http://www.salmonuniversity.com/index.html for all the info you need.:arr

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 14:12 #3

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, I have to do my duty and put in a plug for Puget Sound Anglers - http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/fishing/fishing.htm also, go to the home page, look up your local chapter, go to a meeting and meet the members, then JOIN!!!!!!! :arr

Upper Left Hand Corner -- Freshwater Bay
1995 2002 W/A Trophy
MMSI Number: 338070644

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 14:39 #4

• Jim Gandee
Thanks for the links guys! What about halibut while at anchor?

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 16:11 #5

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Jim Gandee;772612 wrote: Thanks for the links guys! What about halibut while at anchor?

PM me your email address & I'll send you last years' NOP PSA Butt Helper. A lot of good tips & secrets. You will have to do the research regarding Butt Tides/Currents. Not hard to do with any good Tide software program (I have/use Tides & Currents). What you look for with tides, are tides that change less than 1 foot per hour. For Currents, currents that flow between +.8 and -.8 per hour. Of course those time/date intersections have to be on WDFW's legal Butt Fishin' days. Be sure to look up and mark Swain's Butt Fishin Derby here in Port Angeles, it's a fun zoo happening.

1995 2002 W/A Trophy

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 16:12 #6

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Jim Gandee;772612 wrote: Thanks for the links guys! What about halibut while at anchor?

Most "drift" and not anchor up.

1995 2002 W/A Trophy

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 16:17 #7

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Jim,

Looked up your profile. Check your email. :D

1995 2002 W/A Trophy

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 22:29 #8

• Jim Gandee

JohnQ;772641 wrote: Jim,

Looked up your profile. Check your email. :D

John, please resend your email. I received it prior to seeing your post and deleted it when the body of the email said"Butt Helper" !!
I thought for sure it was a scam or virus because I don't require butt helper that I know of. :)

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape

Best trolling rig and set up 24 Apr 2013 23:25 #9

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

Jim Gandee;772798 wrote: John, please resend your email. I received it prior to seeing your post and deleted it when the body of the email said"Butt Helper" !!
I thought for sure it was a scam or virus because I don't require butt helper that I know of. :)

Now that made me smile for the day... thanks both John and Jim!:hand10

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Best trolling rig and set up 22 May 2013 05:13 #10

• fastfred
  • Thank you received: 0
About 10 years ago we broke the steering cable on the lower helm and had to drive from the fly-bridge which was no big deal except for it was December. We cut cards and the loser had to drive. Well if your not up on step on Lake PendOrellie your fishing, so when I lost the cut and it was my turn to drive when the new cable came in and had to drive the 9 miles to the mechanic where the cable was sent no way was I going to wind chill my face into something resembling roast beef at 14+ knots. I ran along about 4.5-5 knots and saw a straight back 13 orange Rapala and thought why not. It sure didn't take long to get it out. At about 225 feet back it wanted to hop out of the water so I ran it back another 225. Now at 450' back it stayed under. Just as we rounded Hope point about a mile from the dock where we needed to go the reel took off with what sounded like we snagged a water skier. As it took about 20 minutes to get the fish close enough to the boat to see how big it was my deck hand and myself both agreed we had stumbled onto something. Nobody we knew trolled that fast and this fish was big. 19.50 lbs big and before we were done the next day we had a 23 and a 24.5 using the same presentation. You can run the straight back stick baits at up to 6 knots anyway however we have done best at about 4.5-5.0. make sure the bait is running true before you let it out and run it w a y back. The line weight helps keep it from popping out of the water. You also might want to upgrade to the metal billed salt water model Rapalas

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The fish we are catching are rainbow trout but I don't see why the salmon won't give your stuff a shot if you give them a chance. Like I said if your, not up on step your fishing.Good Luck, fastfred "WORK RELEASE"

Best trolling rig and set up 22 May 2013 19:53 #11

• Daren Thomas
  • Thank you received: 0
Not exactly sure where San Juan is. From the looks of other postings, it must be way over there and up yonder a good ways. I do know trolling for the species in the Florida area well. If you are refering to San Juan, Puerto Rico then there are some similarities to Florida. I do "high speed trolling" during my trip out and around searching. We catch tuna, king mackeral, wahoo, bonito and baracuda. I am usually going about 15 mph or 13 knots. I think i converted that right. I slow it down to about 6 knots and start hitting mahi mahi and about 4 knots i run my down riggers and catch spanish, grouper, blues,..... basically about everything else. Do a google search for high speed trolling lures and it will give you an idea of what i use. Slower trolling on down riggers with cedar plugs produce grouper.

Best advice, throw something out there and drag it around about 4 to 5 knots. Learn what species are in the are and what you are after then look online. there is tons to get you going. Even ask your local bass pro shop people in the fishing section.......OR as Doug.

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1997 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452, 5.7 liter merc., Alpha one
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:onthego: Who wants to go fishing?!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds