• Page:

TOPIC: Got a New Mitchell 300

Got a New Mitchell 300 14 Dec 2012 23:49 #1

• FISHIN00
  • FISHIN00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Got a BassPro gift card for my birthday...purchased a Mitchell 300xe and a 7' Ugly Stick. The new reel seems to be superior to the Shimano Sedona's I've been using.....can't wait to try it out in the next couple of weeks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Got a New Mitchell 300 14 Dec 2012 23:58 #2

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
I have a bunch of Mitchell 300's

but they are like wayyyyyy old.

Congrats. and Happy Belated B day

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Got a New Mitchell 300 15 Dec 2012 00:03 #3

• FISHIN00
  • FISHIN00's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166

Alaskanmutt;741315 wrote: I have a bunch of Mitchell 300's

but they are like wayyyyyy old.

Congrats. and Happy Belated B day

Same here....300's,304's and 308's...got a 900 and a 4430....one of these days ,got to find someone who wants them more than I do!
I still have my 1st fishin reel, a 304 I got for my 11th birthday...50 years ago...still serviceable!
Thanks!

Got a New Mitchell 300 17 Dec 2012 07:51 #4

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 63
My 300 is about 45 years old too and still works fine. Parts aplenty to fix it too if needed. Just the same I bet you will find that although your new one won't last 5o years it will be a whole lot faster on retrieval, smoother and just plain nicer to use.

Got a New Mitchell 300 17 Dec 2012 16:01 #5

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Good reels. I have several myself. Some were around when I was a preteen so they must be almost 50 years old. I have newer ones too. I use them almost as much as my Penn reels.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Got a New Mitchell 300 17 Dec 2012 23:15 #6

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 63

Go Aweigh2452;741935 wrote: Good reels. I have several myself. Some were around when I was a preteen so they must be almost 50 years old. I have newer ones too. I use them almost as much as my Penn reels.

I got back into fishing hot and heavy last season and was all wowed to use the 300. Some time along I decided to toss out a second pole so I dug out my other one for a second backup rig for if I fouled it while night fishing or to just hang it off the bottom while casting the 300. By mid July it kept creeping in that for whatever reason the Garcia 764 that I had picked up in the mid 80's at Ames Dept Store for $25 seemed smoother. Getting that blazing high speed return that pike seem to love so much was just that much easier too and it was lighter. Eventurally, almost against my will the not quite so old Abu Garcia came to take center stage.
It's just like when I was an Army Mp back in the 70's I lugged that damned beastly 45 around and didn't notice it. Later on working for Customs I dove on the opportunity to spend $400 for a Glock 23 so I could ditch the monster SW revolver 357 and have something that didn't gnaw a semi permanent hole in my hip. Against the logic of dogma for the most part they work better too. When you use it every day lighter beats nostalgia every time. Must be I'm gettin either older or smarter, possibly both. Best part is at the end of the month I can ditch the POS Sig and crappy uncomfortable holster they have stuck me with for the past 10 years and spend ALL my time with the Abu and Mitchell. I'm retiring and Homeland Security can go look after itself :go-:go-:go-:go-:go-:go-

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds