Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted

Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted 28 Sep 2017 20:37 #26

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3232
  • Thank you received: 605

CptCrunchie wrote: Spending a week or two fixing roads doesn't address the issue of supplies currently sitting on the dock that desperately needs to get out to the people. Since this is life and death, I think the government should appropriate the boats to make the deliveries around the island. It's only 100 miles long and 31 miles wide.


Read my previous post on the island's topography. Delivering goods around the coast will not solve the issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted 28 Sep 2017 20:49 #27

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3232
  • Thank you received: 605

Dadrock33 wrote: News: Jones Act repealed for 10 days . . . not what I had hoped for (total repeal) but guess it's a start . . .


+1
The island has been saddled by high prices and almost a shipping monopoly for many years. A permanent repeal of the act or a permanent exemption for PR is what's needed. I do not hold my hopes up because the shipping and shipbuilding lobbies are strong. Moreover, PR has no senators and only one rep in the house. The rep can vote in committee, but not on the floor. So the island is at the mercy of all the other legislators. PR has unsuccessfully lobbied for a permanent exemption to the act a number of times, under many different administrations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted 28 Sep 2017 20:51 #28

  • Alaskanmutt
  • Alaskanmutt's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Posts: 4808
  • Thank you received: 323

green650 wrote: Puerto Rico is known for its crime, so that doesn't surprise me. I've been there many times for work.
PR for some reason is treated like an illegitimate red-headed stepchild. The news doesn't report much about what is going on down there. Most people here don't know about the financial crisis they are in.


They don't report on Guam either...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted 28 Sep 2017 20:56 #29

  • Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3232
  • Thank you received: 605

Alaskanmutt wrote:

green650 wrote: Puerto Rico is known for its crime, so that doesn't surprise me. I've been there many times for work.
PR for some reason is treated like an illegitimate red-headed stepchild. The news doesn't report much about what is going on down there. Most people here don't know about the financial crisis they are in.


They don't report on Guam either...


That's always been the case with all the US territories - Out of sight....out of mind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted 28 Sep 2017 21:03 #30

  • Alaskanmutt
  • Alaskanmutt's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Posts: 4808
  • Thank you received: 323

CptCrunchie wrote: Spending a week or two fixing roads doesn't address the issue of supplies currently sitting on the dock that desperately needs to get out to the people. Since this is life and death, I think the government should appropriate the boats to make the deliveries around the island. It's only 100 miles long and 31 miles wide.


CptCrunchie

Even if they do get it to the shoe line around the island (and I am willing to bet there are not docking facilities in most areas) they still have to get it into the hill to the villages and towns. And if there is not a docking facility then what? run the boat aground? Rocks? sand? Shallow? deep? I have never been there so I have no idea on the shoreline topography. Before they try boats they might want to bring in one of the Marine Expeditionary Force carriers with the heavy lift helos and amphib vehicles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted 03 Oct 2017 02:25 #31

  • Iproff
  • Iproff's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 3645
  • Thank you received: 127
Sept 29 a USA medical ship left from Virginia for Puerto Rico. It does not say why it took so long to leave there must be a reason.

https://www.google.ca/amp/wgntv.com/2017/09/29/navy-hospital-ship-usns-comfort-departs-for-puerto-rico-with-medical-supplies-and-staff/amp/

Can't believe the navy could not have gotten some type of ship there with helicopters to handly food water and medical support in 2 days after this happened.

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
The village idiot strikes again.
Last Edit: by Iproff.

Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted 03 Oct 2017 11:42 #32

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5729
  • Thank you received: 961

Iproff wrote: Sept 29 a USA medical ship left from Virginia for Puerto Rico. It does not say why it took so long to leave there must be a reason.

https://www.google.ca/amp/wgntv.com/2017/09/29/navy-hospital-ship-usns-comfort-departs-for-puerto-rico-with-medical-supplies-and-staff/amp/

Can't believe the navy could not have gotten some type of ship there with helicopters to handly food water and medical support in 2 days after this happened.



It took a bot of time to fully fit out the complement of crew and add the full staff of medical personnel required.
The marine amphibious ships USS Kearsarge and the USS Oakhill have been on station and running relief missions for many days now as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY
Last Edit: by smitty477.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: Jeffwrafaelfigueira
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum